Golden Globe race - to qualify!

Dec 25, 2014
Catalina 27 Pasadena, Md
There is an interesting issue just out - Good Old Boat magazine that also is on this race, it also has a fine article about some of the great authors of similar adventures. Inspired me to go to Amazon and add 9 more books to my library

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
There is an interesting issue just out - Good Old Boat magazine that also is on this race, it also has a fine article about some of the great authors of similar adventures. Inspired me to go to Amazon and add 9 more books to my library
It’s funny, the editor/publisher couple of GOB live about a mile from Nabil in Minneapolis, but they chose to interview the guy in Florida instead!

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
Being of huge reader of Moitessier, knox-johnston, and the like since way before I took up sailing, I was really thinking I'd be into this when I first heard about it.
But, meh... couldn't really care about any of the participants or tracking the race. I guess the Vendee Globe and to a lesser extent, the VOR really takes the wind out of the GG's sails.

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
@Roadking Larry don’t you also need to have one of the specified boats.
2018 Golden Globe Race approved designs: Westsail 32 • Tradewind 35 • Saga 34 • Saltram 36 • Vancouver 32 & 34 • OE 32 • Eric (sister ship to Suhaili) • Aries 32 • Baba 35 • Biscay 36 • Bowman 36 • Cape Dory 36 • Nicholson 32 MKX-XI • Rustler 36, Endurance 35, Gaia 36, Hans Christian 33T, Tashiba 36, Cabo Rico 34, Hinckley Pilot 35, Lello 34, Gale Force 34.​
I said "almost" :)
My Allied Seawind MKII is only 31.56' OAL so it misses out by 5.5". Not that I am personally even close to capable, the boat, properly fitted out, would be more or less in the same league as any of the other 32's on the list.
Either way, it's still an enjoyable event to watch.

May 10, 2004
Catalina 30 Puget Sound
Check out sailonline.org. Log onto the race and you can see the course and all of the current conditions. It is all in real time. I'm currently #189 , but I started a couple of days late....... heh heh

Mar 30, 2013
A couple of them have have shown over 100nm in a 24 hour span. And, I'd hope they'd have figured for a little slack on food stores.

Nov 8, 2010
A couple of them have have shown over 100nm in a 24 hour span. And, I'd hope they'd have figured for a little slack on food stores.
For sure, they will pick up speed and miles/day when they get in reliable breeze!

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Fishing might help the food supply. Collect water in the rain storms! Stretch the food supply out by rationing. Major factors in this race include endurance, ingenuity, stamina, resourcefulness, luck … (so says Captain Obvious! :biggrin::biggrin:)

Nov 8, 2010
Fishing might help the food supply. Collect water in the rain storms! Stretch the food supply out by rationing. Major factors in this race include endurance, ingenuity, stamina, resourcefulness, luck … (so says Captain Obvious! :biggrin::biggrin:)
So might boat choice. All of the leaders are sailing a Rustler 36, a design so well regarded that it remains in production to this day.

But I also suspect that is a bit of a self-fulfilling prophesy; the best racer/sailors CHOSE that boat for its great capability. They were always going to do well no matter what they sailed. Now doing better.

Mar 30, 2013
It's been interesting to follow so far. I'm a little surprised at the early drop outs and their stated reasons. Also a bit surprised at the equipment failures after such a short run.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
Only eight left. 73 year old Jean-Luc 1700+ nms ahead. Fellow Brit Susie Goodall still doing well. Rustler 36s dominate.

Latest positions at 10:00 UTC 08 October 2018

1 Jean- Luc VDH (FRA) Rustler 36 Matmut
2 Mark Slats (NED) Rustler 36 Ohpen Maverick
3 Uku Randmaa (EST) Rustler 36 One and All
4 Susie Goodall GBR) Rustler 36 DHL Starlight
5 Tapio Lehtinen (FIN) Gaia 36 Asteria
6 Istvan Kopar (USA) Tradewind 35 Puffin
7 Igor Zaretskiy (RUS) Endurance 35 Esmeralda
8 Mark Sinclair (Aus) Lello 34 Coconut

Nov 8, 2010
The movie about the life of Mike Plant (Coyote) is now out on iTunes and Amazon. I watched it last night, and was reminded that 34 years ago, he won the 50 foot class in the BOC Around the World Along race on his first try. Look who came in 2nd.

BOC challange 1986.png

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Thought you might like to see my Team Zafu design for the 1990 BOC.
BOC Sweatshirt.jpg

When we crossed the Atlantic in 1986, we had this amazing new tech onboard that would provide instant weather updates, called a weather fax. Well, maybe it wasn't instant, but it would print out the NOAA weather updates at regular intervals on a perforated scroll of paper. So cool. We waited out TS Andrew in Burmuda.
It was almost too calm to the Azores.

-Will (Dragonfly)

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
It’s wild. He has no weather service access, so he’s blind to the wind all around him, or when it might hit him.
You might really enjoy the book, We the Navigators, the story of how the Polynesians navigated. Sure, Europeans circumnavigated and crossed oceans to continents using latitude sailing, but the Polynesians made recurrent voyages to small islands as much as 3000 miles apart with regularity!

Feb 6, 2013
Hunter 31 Deale, MD
In case no one else said it, you must read A Voyage for Madman . You can't make this stuff up.