What are these things for on the Boom?

Sep 5, 2018
Hunter 170 Northfield, NJ
So I am slowly learning things. But not everything follows the pictures on the manual for my 170.

First I have to admit just today I learned what a topping lift really is and you do not see on in this picture. I can see where the topping lift makes things way easier!!

So in the 2008 manual the sheet dated Jan 2003 only shows ( from aft to bow) a topping lift padeye, topping lift cleat and then no other items.

In the picture of my 2002 manufacture boat you can see I have some extras. From aft to bow- topping lift padeye, pulley, topping lift cleat, padeye, cleat. Can anyone tell me what the extra pieces are for? I am making an assumption it likely has to do with reefing. Does someone have a picture of how all of these items might be set up?

Thanks!!

Attachments

Apr 7, 2016
Beneteau First 305 Seward, Alaska
I would hook your typing lift to the spot where the carabiner is. The cheek block (pulley) would probably be for a reefing line. Hard to tell without a full pic. I would go check out stingysailor.com for really good info on how to set up stuff.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
First of all, let me help you with your terminology. "pulley" is not a nautical term. It's referred to as a "block" and the wheel part inside the block is called a "sheave" (pronounced "sheeve").

Next, a padeye will have an "eye" welded or hinged to a base plate. It can be flat or curved. The item in you picture on the boom is called an "eye strap" and it is typically a stamped piece, rather than forged or welded.

In your picture, the single block at the boom's end is used for the mainsail's outhaul control line which is cleated mid boom.

The eye strap at the boom's end can certainly be used to connect a topping lift.. but the other attachments are not meant for it. I don't like the topping lift connected to the side, it will cause the boom to twist. So.... if there's no attachment point on the boom's end cap... then install an eye strap on the other side so you can make a loop that you can clip the top to. If you want it adjustable, one solution is a very small cheek block and clam cleat opposite the eye strap, instead of a fixed loop. Anyhow, google "topping lift" for some other ideas.

The side mounted block on the boom is called a "cheek" block....it is too far forward to be a topping lift connection. It is used for reefing the mainsail, there should be an eyestrap on the other side of the boom that can anchor the reefing line. It will run up through the reef cringle (a big grommet) on the sail's leech (back edge), then back down to the cheek block... where it will run all the way forward to a cleat at the mast end of the boom. Up there should be a line, or hook, to secure the forward reef cringle (on the "luff" or forward edge of the sail) This allows you to reef the sail from one position, by the mast. The cheek block's placement should make the reef line pull backwards on the cringle to insure a tight, flat sail.

It is rare to find a sailboat that has not been modified by its owner.... so don't expect a lot from the owner's manual of an older boat. Your understanding of how sailboats work and how you like them set up for your particular needs is what will carry you in the long run. Have fun.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018
Joe, thanks for the comments.

The padeye term is straight from the Hunter 170 manual. Keep in mind I am not saying your are wrong, just that is how I learned the name.

As far as the set up of my boom I am certain it is factory. I have been looking at many pictures of the 170 in the all the for sale ads. I have noticed 2 different booms. One like diagrammed in the 170 manual and the one like I have on mine. So I believe it is factory. If not then there was some common mod done across the country.

There is a padeye on top the boom specifically for the topping lift. The one on the side is for something else.

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
Joe, thanks for the comments.

The padeye term is straight from the Hunter 170 manual. Keep in mind I am not saying your are wrong, just that is how I learned the name.

As far as the set up of my boom I am certain it is factory. I have been looking at many pictures of the 170 in the all the for sale ads. I have noticed 2 different booms. One like diagrammed in the 170 manual and the one like I have on mine. So I believe it is factory. If not then there was some common mod done across the country.

There is a padeye on top the boom specifically for the topping lift. The one on the side is for something else.
Google "reef hunter 170" and top result leads to jiminpb's thread.

I have pictures of the reefing setup. Be nice if hunter added docs fot this, but i might give it a try.

Hunter 170...Anything to beware of?

Sep 5, 2018
Bobby thanks for the link to the earlier thread. I was looking for that and was not coming up with it through a search.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I would run your reefing line like this....
Juice, it looks good, but I think I'd run the line to the aft eye strap down the port of the boom to an eye strap, or brining it UNDER the boom to where you show it. This would counter-act the rotaional twist on the boom, what with the line through the block. /// I noticed in the OP, there is an eye strap half way up the boom. Maybe to run the reeking line forward to that forward cleat? My thinking is you'd need the leverage to pull in the reef. I know it's a small boat, but still,,,,,