Correct stuff for sealing the screws and such??

Sep 5, 2018
Hunter 170 Northfield, NJ
I took off some of the hardware to start working on the 170. I see at the screw holes and under some of the hardware was what appears to be white silicon.

Is that what is used?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I took off some of the hardware to start working on the 170. I see at the screw holes and under some of the hardware was what appears to be white silicon.

Is that what is used?
Let's hope not. Silicone is a poor bedding material that has undesirable non-stick after-effects. If that's what it turns out to be, sanding will only embed the residue deeper into your gel coat.

Fingers crossed! ;)

Sep 5, 2018
The stuff I found looks and feels like silicon.

I would have serious questions about it being LifeCaulk because it drys harder and is not to be used on Lexan. According to the description.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Could it be 3M 4200 that's dried or (hope not) 5200?

What's the question about Lexan? I thought it was sealing holes for hardware attached to fiberglass?

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
There are a number of things that will permanently mess-up Lexan. If you're replacing or repairing glazing, you would use different sealants (butyl or silicone, for example), then if you're basically sealing screw-openings or sealing a stanchion.
Silicone will keep stuff out -- it's just not the best. If you use it, be careful to get a marine grade silicone. In a salt environment, it will avoid metal corrosion that a non-marine silicone may encourage. Whatever you use, it's not easy to clean it out. (You usually need to drill it out and repair the hole with expoxy, etc.).

Sep 5, 2018
Bed It butyl is not for plastic it seems. The guy says do not use it for plastics.
I am guessing I need marine silicon for the plastic 170 hull.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Bed It butyl is not for plastic it seems. The guy says do not use it for plastics.

The "guy" does not say that. (wink)

Bed-It is perfectly safe for use with plastics but the fitting being bedded needs to be mechanically fastened. I would be far more concerned about the use of polyurethanes, polyethers and polysulfides on an ACP hull than Bed-It Tape.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
If you're gonna search online, spell it "silicone". Dow 795?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Regular silicons with additives is not the best. I use to buy pure silicon archetichual grade that adheres well. Suggest that you clean off all the old silicon and where you plan to use it, lightly scratch the surface and use alcohol to remove any residual. That is what I did repairing The ACP boats.

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
The outer hull of the 170 is
Acrylonitrile styrene acrylate (ASA) plus or minus whatever hunter manufacturing did to save a couple bucks .

" ASA can be glued with cyanoacrylates; uncured resin can however cause stress cracking. ASA is compatible with acrylic-based adhesives. Anaerobic adhesives perform poorly with ASA. Epoxies and neoprene adhesives can be used for bonding ASA with woods and metals"

Check out how to seal acrylic windows

Bonding and Sealing Plastic Windows

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw0-jOEdZ3uQZHSM3nHJjdv1

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
I used white butyl caulk when i rebed the 6 rudder bolts on the rudder post. It has worked great so far with no issues. I also took all the remaining hardware off and resealed everything with the same tube. No issues, not one.

Attachments

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
The "guy" does not say that. (wink)

Bed-It is perfectly safe for use with plastics but the fitting being bedded needs to be mechanically fastened. I would be far more concerned about the use of polyurethanes, polyethers and polysulfides on an ACP hull than Bed-It Tape.
Just my opinion, but I think @Maine Sail and @Crazy Dave Condon are the two guys to listen to here.:)

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
The outer hull of the 170 is
Acrylonitrile styrene acrylate (ASA) plus or minus whatever hunter manufacturing did to save a couple bucks ...
Is that the generic name for Luran S? That's a nice piece of information to have.

That aside, I have had good luck with both 5200 & West Systems epoxy sticking to my ACP boats.