07 Hunter 33 Overlaping Headsail

Goyo

Sep 10, 2017
Hunter 33 Port Sanlac
My current jib has outlived it usefull life and I need to replace it . The current sail plan is a stock roller furler main and jib . I mainly sail in lighter air and want to add some performance to the boat and I am considering an overlaping headsail to make up for lost roach with the furling main . Concerns I have are ability to sheet the headsail with the factory tracks and #2 ability to sheet the genua tightly given the spreader configuration on the 33.

Has anyone gone to a 135 % or 150% head sail and if so what where your chalanges fitting to to the boat.

Appreciate you sharing any learnings you have

Thank you

Gregg

Jun 2, 2011
Hunter H33 Port Credit Harbour, ON.
I have the factory jib with spinnaker rigging. The jib sheets are led between the diagonal and the shroud to a deck mounted track and then to winches in the aft of the cockpit. I have never had the jib sheets lead to the cabin top track. When close hauled and tight the clew of the jib is very close to the vertical shroud. I don't think that a bigger jib will function properly.

For light air performance I added a Gennaker.

Oct 31, 2012
Hunter 2008 H25 Lake Wabamun
I would be concerned with the balance of power moving forward. Lee helm will be an issue with more power forward than the boats is designed for.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I'm pretty sure that both sets of tracks are for the non-overlapping jib. This is clear when you see that they are basically side by side. A genoa track would be placed father aft. The cabintop set will give a better sheeting angle and allow for better windward performance. The deck set will be much better for reaching and off the wind sailing. As the boat is not used for performance sailing/racing, it would not be surprising that most people use the reaching tracks.

As Jake notes any attempt to run a larger headsail around the spreaders and vertical shrouds and to that deck track will fail, for sure in performance and probably wreck the sail.

hunter 33.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
I'm pretty sure that both sets of tracks are for the non-overlapping jib. This is clear when you see that they are basically side by side. A genoa track would be placed father aft. The cabintop set will give a better sheeting angle and allow for better windward performance. The deck set will be much better for reaching and off the wind sailing. As the boat is not used for performance sailing/racing, it would not be surprising that most people use the reaching tracks.

As Jake notes any attempt to run a larger headsail around the spreaders and vertical shrouds and to that deck track will fail, for sure in performance and probably wreck the sail.

Looks like he is running the sheets outside the rigging. I run mine between the shrouds otherwise would rub when close hauled. I use the deck tracks and run the sheets back to the cockpit. And yes, I also believe a larger sail would rub on the rigging.

Aug 22, 2018
Hunter 33 Prinyers Cove, PE County, ON
Hey
I want ask how you would utilize both tracks? For example you are on a day sail reaching and down wind in the morning. Into the wind coming back to the marina. Would it be possible or practable to have 2 sheets? One to the cabin top track and th other to the deck track.

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
Hey
I want ask how you would utilize both tracks? For example you are on a day sail reaching and down wind in the morning. Into the wind coming back to the marina. Would it be possible or practable to have 2 sheets? One to the cabin top track and th other to the deck track.
I tried this once with a hank on jib. You have to make sure the sheet you aren't using is loose and not tied off to anything, you also have to make sure you pull in the working side or it will for sure catch on something.
I've found it easier to run the windward sheet to the track I plan on using for my next tack.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Hey
As we're either usually going up wind or downwind, we have our reaching sheets ready but not attached. If it looks like we’re going to be off the wind and not be able to use the spinnaker (jib reaching), we will attach the sheet to the clews and transfer the load to it while sailing.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2018
Hunter 33 Prinyers Cove, PE County, ON
Thanks for the reply’s. It makes sense to not have any lines potentially whipping around making noise and getting hooked under stuff.
From what Ive read the deck side track will satisfy all bu the most ardent of sailers.