Connecting Garmin NMEA GPS to Raymarine Seatalk

Mity

Aug 25, 2011
Bénéteau Océanis 343 2 Montréal, Canada
Hi

I just bought a Garmin Echomap Plus 65cv and I would like to connect it to the Raymarine equipment I have on the boat (ST60+, ST4000+, St60 Tridata).
Anyone did it? How? what do I need to buy and where?

I have been searching the WEB and can't find what to do or if it is feasible.

thanks for the support

Michel

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Hi

I just bought a Garmin Echomap Plus 65cv and I would like to connect it to the Raymarine equipment I have on the boat (ST60+, ST4000+, St60 Tridata).
Anyone did it? How? what do I need to buy and where?

I have been searching the WEB and can't find what to do or if it is feasible.

thanks for the support

Michel
Just posted on this very subject this morning:

SeaTalk 1 to NMEA 2000

Mity

Aug 25, 2011
Thanks for the information. The GPS manual says it is NMEA0183, would this be the same? Also, in the back of the autopilot there is an in +/out - with label NMEA but can't find if this is 2000 or 0183. The blue wire of the GPS is connected to the '+' of that connector. Can't say if this is making any difference. Would it be possible that the autopilot has a converter in it (Seatalk to NMEA) and since all the Raymarine equipment are connected together it would send the information to the GPS?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
From what I can tell, the cv65 Plus has NMEA 2000 and 0183. Ignore the 0183, and do what MaineSail says in his post.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
If you have an Garmin Echomap Plus 65cv it should have had a NMEA 2000 connection cable in the box. The center port on your 65cv is NMEA 2k. The cable for this is a 4 pin adapter to 5 pin NMEA micro cable and the Garmin part number is 010-12445-10.

You need to get from SeaTalk 1 to NMEA 2000 so the Raymarine E22158 and the drop cable to NMEA 2k will be required..

Mity

Aug 25, 2011
Thanks for your quick reply...I'll look for that parts and try this setup. thanks again.

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
I've done the conversion and if you follow Mainsail's instruction you should be Ok.
The only gottcha is you will need to disconnect the seatalk connection to the ST4000 if it powers your instruments . See my attached pdf. If you want the ST4000 to be on the seatalk buss you'll need to modify the connector to the ST4000.

Attachments

Sep 11, 2015
Hunter 31 Marina del Rey
It depends how you want to use the system. If you connect the Garmin nmea 0183 output to the autopilot input, you will be able to track to a waypoint, send depth, speed and temperature to be displayed on the Seatalk instruments (wind also if you have nmea wind instruments). The autopilot will use the GPS speed info and position info but will not forward it on the Seatalk network. You will not be able to show Seatalk data on the Garmin. For most people this is good enough. This costs you nothing.

The alternative is the Seatalk to nmea2000 converter and appropriate connectors to go from Raymarine nmea to standard nmea. In this case you get bidirectional data but keep in mind that this still does not allow you to control the autopilot from the Garmin, i.e. you bidirectional data will only allow you to display seatalk data such as depth or wind or rudder angle on the Garmin which nice but not that useful. If you want autopilot control from the chartplotter (this means you select a waypoint, press track on the chartplotter and the autopilot follows without any further input), this is only possible if you have a Raymarine chartplotter talking to a Raymarine autopilot and only works on some models (i.e. C80 to ST4000+).

SV Pizzazz

Mity

Aug 25, 2011
Hi, here is the update. I have received all my cables and conversion and did the connection. All work fine on the GPS, thanks for the recommendations.
I notice that the wind speed is not showing on the ST60+ anymore, only on the GPS, is this normal?

Thanks again

Mike

Mity

Aug 25, 2011
Thanks. I’ll check the mastheads with the test provided by Raymarine.