Santa Cruz Island

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Nice.... what was your favorite anchorage. Did you dive or fish. Were you able to go ashore?

Mar 2, 2018
Catalina Wing Keel San Diego
Any weather except for a storm. There are a lot of small craft and gail wind advisories there so we try to avoid those.
Our favorite anchorages have beed Coches Preietos, Forney Cueva Valdez , Smugglers and Potates Harbor.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Any weather except for a storm. There are a lot of small craft and gail wind advisories there so we try to avoid those.
Our favorite anchorages have beed Coches Preietos, Forney Cueva Valdez , Smugglers and Potates Harbor.
Five days and 5 anchorages; looks as if each one was your "favorite." But did you really anchor at Potato Harbor? Your cruise track does not appear to show a visit there. But, congratulations on a successful cruise!

KG

Mar 2, 2018
Every anchorage there has it's own qualities. We did anchor at potato harbor but just for the day.

Mar 2, 2018
That my friend was the best of the worst at my local gas dock. To bad it didn't live up to my childhood memories.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Looks like a great trip. Beautiful.

What kind of depth do you have in the harbors?

Mar 2, 2018
Most anchorages are 10 to 30 ft. I like to stay under 20 in case I have to dive to retrieve my rode

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Last edited:
Mar 2, 2018
I didn't skip Little Scorpion, we haver spent a lot of time kayaking there while camping at Scorpion but because we surf we need to be up around the corner on either side to be closer to the waves.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I didn't skip Little Scorpion, we haver spent a lot of time kayaking there while camping at Scorpion but because we surf we need to be up around the corner on either side to be closer to the waves.
Ah ha!

Mar 2, 2018
My wife and I are headed back out to the Channel Islands Sunday for a week and I am hoping to be able to anchor at Little Scorpion this time. After this trip Minnie will be sailed back to Oceanside Ca after being in the channel Islands all summer.

Mar 2, 2018
Sorry to say with all the fires right now up in the area we are waiting to go back up to Oxnard and sail Minnie back to Oceanside,