Anyone tried the cheap Chinese Wind Tubines?

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Accidently posted topic twice. Can this one be removed?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Their not very efficient. In order to reach the rated output, the wind needs to be blowing at 12 meters/second which is about 26 MPH.

• Rated Power: 400W
  • Rated Voltage: DC12V
  • Battery Voltage: DC12V
  • Start-up Wind Speed: 2.5m/s(8'/s)
  • Rated Wind Speed: 12m/S(35'/s)

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Love their Chinglish!
Seems to be made of decent materials. Of course they'd offer the best specs in the ad.

Looking forward to deleting the ebay emails I'm about to get.:rolleyes:

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
There's a small oversight or complication that may have been missed. Look at the shipping!

Turbine.jpg

Aug 1, 2011
Wowzers!
Nothing quite like the "plus plus" that these crooks have found interesting ways of adding to their bank accounts. (oh wait, did I say that about online retailers?)

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I didn't notice the shipping on that one. There are many sellers, here is one with free shipping.

400W Max Power 3 Blades DC 12V Wind Turbine Generator Kit With Charge Controller $115 Free Shipping
]
But what is the "hybride controller?"

hybride.png

Did the bride drink too much champagne?

When I see these deals that are "too good to be true" then I think they are too good to be true. A wind turbine generator may be purchased for this low amount, but how long will it last? Is it really suitable for a marine environment? And so forth.

Aug 1, 2011
Completely suitable as long as the physics numbers related to the centrifugal force of the spinning blades is lower than that required to transect the hull.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
But what is the "hybride controller?"

View attachment 154890

Did the bride drink too much champagne?

When I see these deals that are "too good to be true" then I think they are too good to be true. A wind turbine generator may be purchased for this low amount, but how long will it last? Is it really suitable for a marine environment? And so forth.
With Chinese product, I expect creative miss-spellings. LOL

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2011
Probably because the stuff shouldn’t be trusted? Maybe thinking a little too out loud. :)

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
If you've ever sat in an anchorage alongside a boat with a cheap AirX windgen, I doubt you'd ever waste the money on a cheap windgen, no matter how good the numbers are. When I can't hear someone in MY cockpit talking in less than a shout when I'm 100 feet plus away from the other boat.......
I can't tell you how many times we've gone to other boats for sundowners and the first thing they say after, "Welcome aboard, have a seat " is "wait a sec while I turn off the windgen".