What to Do...

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
Hey Everyone,

I know I've been off the forums for a while. I've really been so busy with...well, life, that I just haven't had much time for this. However, I've managed to get some free time as I'm going into college this year, and am so excited to hear experienced answers to my inquiries! Today's (tonight's/this morning's) question is about the stripe design I should decal to the top of my Sunfish. I've sanded it down and removed all the hardware; all there is to do now is gelcoat and paint! The plan is just to keep the overall topside paint simple and just go with white, since it's a bit cheaper and more readily available than a colored paint. Thus, the aesthetic appeal will be mainly shown through the correlation between the colors of the sail and the stripes on the deck. My sail, however, is not one color:

But is instead multiple. What color do you think the stripes should be?

God Bless,
S.S.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Forget the stripes, they won’t make the boat go any faster...
actually your choice, but since the dominant color in your sail is blue, maybe that would be a viable option.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I would be bold and go with a magenta stripe - definitely! Blue is my favorite color but in this case it is simply too predictable to put on the hull - besides the blue is perfect as it is on the sail and sets the sail apart nicely. I don't like purple so much. If you want the hull to be a solid color, I would do yellow (but I don't like a yellow stripe - too weak). I'm not a designer but I did get a good night's sleep last night! :biggrin:

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
The original stripes for a Sunfish are dual width. Here's a pic showing one color option:
Sunfish 1.jpg

And you can see a great example of one that uses blue and red in the stripes:
sunfish.jpg

When I decided to build a stand up paddleboard last year, the Sunfish stripes were my initial idea. But after building, they didn't work for me. I did some research about racing stripes on cars, and learned they were primarily about being recognizable for the individual driver, kinda for sponsorship purposes, and not so much functional. There's a wide variety of stripe patterns, and I looked at many pictures. Here's what I finally decided to go with. Note also that the SUP doesn't look too much different than a Sunfish :D
IMG_1691.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I hope there is some warmer weather in your future.
Granted that was during our March 2018 cruise. We had a smorgasbord of weather conditions that took us from T-shirts to dry-suits. Nothing like sailing in winter. Currently we have been blessed or cursed with temps in the 90's. Still doesn't mean the water is above low 50's.

I'm going to have to figure out how to come down your way to cruise.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I'm going to have to figure out how to come down your way to cruise.
Spoiler alert (don't tell anyone else!). Head east until you are due north of St. T., then turn right. You can't miss the lovely warm waters, the beautiful anchorages, fruit-laden islands and tropical breezes. lol

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Les... I was being nice. I did not want to let the drysuit out of the bag. You know once on the internet it is there for eternity.