AIS..,....

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
So a new item is going to be AIS aboard..... fog out in block island this year confirmed the benefits and pushed it to the top of the list. I also have to upgrade my vhf radio. I just started reading in detail and figured I would cut to the front of the line and ask the group.
I see some radios with built in ais receivers and to send you have to buy additional equipment which a friend recently did..... and then I see the entire box that receives and sends that you attach to your vhf. What is the best set-up. I will also most likely hook this up to a Garmin 7607 xsv plotter. I do see Garmin makes a model that is competitively priced but is there a gold standard unit that stands out from the rest?
Thanks for the input!

Greg

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
First question I have is do you have radar? The reason I ask is AIS will only pickup those that have AIS active. In the fog, it really is meaningless. Radar will pickup any target within its beam field.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
If you get AIS you’ll want N2K (assuming your plotter accepts it. Most vhf radios are 0183 which is very old tech. And your plotter needs an open high speed receive and transmit (if vhf doesn’t have gps built in) ports. If you use a standalone AIS you’ll also need a splitter to share the antenna with the vhf. Some stand alone’s have splitter built in (ray ais700)

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Take a long hard look at the Vesper Marine 8000. It has N2K, USB, N0183, and wifi data outputs. Also serves as a 0183 to N2K translator. Did I mention the anchor watch? And GPS output? It is a really nice unit well worth the money. It integrates easily with my B&G Zeus2/Triton3 electronics. They have a complete package transponder, GPS antenna, and VHF/FM antenna splitter.

The only thing that I have found I don't like about the Vesper, is the GPS antenna. The cable is permanently attached to the antenna. If for some reason I need to remove it I have to remove the wire from the transponder to the antenna too.

The Standard Horizon Matrix 2200 is a nice VHF with a gps, DSC, and an AIS receiver. With the AIS receiver and DSC a call can be made directly to a vessel on the screen. Also has 0183 data output, but that is not necessary with the Vesper unit.

Don't cheap out and only get the AIS receiver. You'll want other boats to see you as well as you see them.

Finally, the new crop of digital radars are nice. Low power draw, good resolution. I'm very happy with my B&G 4G radar.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
You can also view AIS platforms locally on the web for free.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
As noted the cheapy cheap solution is a cell phone and an AIS website works until you are out of cell phone range.
If you want AIS receive only Standard Horizon GX2150 is an all in one solution. $300 ish
It looks like GX220 supersedes it.

If you want AIS send/receive (now they can see you!) What I am in the process of wiring up is
GX2000 ($190) and an EMTRak "extreme sailor package" $500. This system uses a splitter to share your masthead antenna between the AIS and the VHF transponder has NMEA200 and NMEA0183 outputs. In my case the 0183 hooks to the radio, and I think the N2K can hook to the chart plotter (that is going to cost $150 in cables and crap though)

There is also the rumored SH GX6500 which is an all in one AIS/GPS/DSC radio that has been "awaiting FCC" for 2 or 3 years now. This integrates a radio and transponder in one unit super great idea easy install... but so far not in stores. Maybe you can by it in Canada? and sneak it in.

It also looks like there is a new flavor of AIS coming that is 5W transmit power instead of the present 2W I don't know what that really buys you. We see AIS B transmissions on the internet all the way out to the Farallones about 25 mi offshore. The receive antenna was about 1200' up a hill. The message being that 2W should be adequate so long as the antenna is good.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
First question I have is do you have radar? The reason I ask is AIS will only pickup those that have AIS active. In the fog, it really is meaningless. Radar will pickup any target within its beam field.
Yes have radar which is great but it is an older unit but did in fact walk me through fog. Raymarine..... will eventually upgrade to new digital but will do all instruments at once..... so far everything works good so not going to replace now.... have other items ahead. I have the Garmin Gps from old boat..... 2 years old used half season and would like to integrate into ais.....

Thanks!

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
I have a DigitalYacht IAIS receive only and it has an internal WiFi network that will interface with my IPhone and IPad. It came initially to only connect to one device, but later I got instructions from them on how to go with UDP settings and can connect up to 5 devices.

I have the old Raymarine Pathfinder Radar and use the AIS with the IPad and IPhone. I wish I had transmit and receive. The receive units can be turned off if you want privacy, but in the fog I want to see everything ie Radar and AIS and also be seen.

The AIS apps on the internet are not current and using them gives you a very false sense of security. The ships are many minutes and hours old in some cases.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
When I got ready for my instrument upgrade I did a little research and determined which manufacturer had a system with the features I wanted. At the time it was pretty easy, only one had the new multifrequency low power radar. But I know my limits and it does not include wiring and networking. I am a tech end user exclusively, don't care to know how to build it. So I called in the pro who reps and installs for the manufacturer in my area and asked for a systems quote, installed. He actually talked me into adding the integrated AIS, which was new at the time. I was skeptical, but the cost bump was minimal so I agreed as a show of trust and acceptance of his knowledge. Real happy with my integrated MFD chartplotter, radar, and AIS, and real glad I went through a manufacturer's installer - they had to replace my MFD three times until I got one that was reliable, and the installer tracked down a problem with the dedicated AIS antenna. They spent the hours on hold with tech support. He was able to integrate my Ray 0183 wind, AP and tridata instruments in a demonstration of his skill. All the work was done to a very high standard, properly wired, and neatly installed. AIS has features that exceed radar - I can select a target quickly find their speed, course and ships name and call them. If I cared to fool with DSC I could make a call to the bridge with the supplied MMSI. My radar chartplotter overlay paints all these targets and provides confirmation. Friends and family track my location, course and speed with an AIS app and that makes them happy.

Bottom line, I would start with a chartplotter that will overlay all this, include the AIS and plan to install a radar with the next traunch of boat bucks.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
If you're going to get a new VHF AND a Class C AIS (i.e., receive but not send) then my advice would be different that if you are going get a Class B AIS (which transmit, as well as, receive).

There are a number of "modest" upgrades for VHF's by Standard, Simrad, and others for a combo unit (VHF & Class C AIS). You can use the same antenna and it works seamlessly with most modestly "new" chart plotters. I wouldn't waste my time with using the graphic on your VHF screen unless you're desperate and want to be glued to your nav station.

If you're going for a Class B AIS, I'm affraid the best advise is probably 2 seperate devices -- but you can use the VHF antenna with a decent splitter for a lot less hassles than adding a dedicated run to the masthead or spreader. (I have had this system for about 19 years, works fine.)

You should be able to get the AIS plot on a laptop, chart plotter, or even some dedicated radar displays.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
In my search and eventual install I am not
Looking to go the cheap route...... I’m no Rockefeller either. I am looking to go the most efficient and quality without being stupid. Cheap bites you quickly..... and I would like class b system.... send and receive

Greg

Last edited:

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Using a AIS without a chart plotter or radar display overlay in any traffic is something that I'd find very disconcerting. Do you have a chartplotter that will display at the helm -- or at least at the Nav Station?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I am another plus 1 forVesper XB8000 transponder system.
  1. Very quick responsive system.
  2. Their support has been first class and prompt even though they are in a different day time zone.
  3. Is NEMA2000 compatible.
  4. Wi-Fi connected to iPad showing boat speed/depth data, and AIS data on iNavX.
  5. Also compatible with RosePoint’s Coastal Explorer software.

Additionally, I use the SH 2200 vhf/AIS/dsc equiped radio. This is my backup AIS receive system.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
or at least at the Nav Station
Does absolutely NO good if you're upstairs.
How could it?
"Nav station" down below is from the Dark Ages, you know, back when I first started sailing.
Times changes, technology changes.
I did, however, use my lead line just the other day. :)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Stu Jackson It is not so much the throwing of the lead line out into the water, it is just your eyes. Awful hard to read the “Marken on the twine” as the line comes up to the boat.

And that Bronx accent just does not have that southern drawl needed to sing out the mark like they do on the river boats.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Yes indeed it will be at the helm...... vesper xb8000 looks nice. Is the Gps antenna mounted on your transom/deck level or does it go up the mast?

Thanks to all for all the great responses! Quick education......

Greg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Yes indeed it will be at the helm...... vesper xb8000 looks nice. Is the Gps antenna mounted on your transom/deck level or does it go up the mast?

Thanks to all for all the great responses! Quick education......

Greg
On the pushpit rail.

IMG_1126.jpg

The tape and numbers are measurements for a new Fairclough cover.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
If your current vhf radio is dsc equipped, if you have y2k network now or in the near future, and you wish to transmit and receive AIS info... then you don't really need to get a new radio. Check out these guys at Milltech Marine
I am going to install this unit with built in antenna splitter in the very near future, even though I currently have a really great Simrad VHF/AIS receiver..... It's really important that you have the network to send your AIS signals to your chartplotter or MFD.....

AMEC CAMINO-108S Class B AIS Transponder with integrated splitter

Last edited:

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
There are a number of "modest" upgrades for VHF's by Standard, Simrad, and others for a combo unit (VHF & Class C AIS). You can use the same antenna and it works seamlessly with most modestly "new" chart plotters. I wouldn't waste my time with using the graphic on your VHF screen unless you're desperate and want to be glued to your nav station.
What he said!