Cruising: motoring DDW at 6 knots in 6 knots of breeze, on the cool North Atlantic,...

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
in 92 degrees of heat. At one point off the isle of shoals, I swung the boat to windward because I was losing conciseness.

What a hot few weeks we’ve had!

After a swim, followed by a shower on deck, glass of white with ice cubes, under the Bimini, the heat has finally let go. 10 miles off the NH coast swinging on a mooring in 10
Kt. South, it’s still too hot in the sun!

If we were just sailing, we would have sailed to windward to, where ever.
CED70B24-04CD-407F-83A9-B58A6A38E4ED.jpeg

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Yea, I hear you! It's hot. We are on the hook outside Edgartown, the heat is finally coming off. I would never have thought I'd put ice in beer....

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
We’re hot and humid here too. A fingerlakes excursion also involves the auxiliary, since winds have averaged 4 knots. When going DDW the sails flounder and the smoke from my cigarettes hangs around like a second hand death for my guests. The southerly breezes and impending thunderstorms are ruining my originally perfect day sails. My contributions remain the same, smiles on all faces, or quit this sailboat life style. So far things are still looking good.

718AD2B5-582E-4F9C-AC4D-983FB3D7525F.jpeg

Blye

Feb 11, 2017
It's record hot here in the Great Sweaty North..... and guess who caught measles some how? Yes you can get them more than once and now I'm trapped at home until I clear up

All together!!!!

Loser! ;-)

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
It's been pretty nice up here on the North Channel of Lake Huron. Not too warm, not too cold.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I've been in Scotland for the last 2 weeks. I didn't realize that Scotland's southern border is 11 degrees farther north than where I live in northern NH. The temperatures are cool. I could have left my shorts at home. The water around the Isle of Skye is actually warmer than the Gulf of Maine, but I'm still not getting into it (Grew up on the Gulf of Mexico). It's not the rain so much, it's actually been nice most of the time, but it is windy out here on the border of the North Atlantic and the North Sea. I'm happy to report that sailing has not disappeared from from this area of the world. There are sailboats everywhere. Other than the prawn fishermen, sailboats are the most numerous.
20180804_153831.jpg Unfortunately, they can't beat the powerboats to the head of the line for the AM sail from Morey Firth into Loch Ness.
I'd give you more pictures of sailboats, but this was on my phone and I haven't downloaded from our cameras yet. We fly home tomorrow, so soon.

- Will (Dragonfly)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
The sun finally turned off. Then we had front row seats (thanks to our big ports) for a spectacular thunder storm roaring up the NH coast. I’m enjoying coffee in the cockpit, a mobo’S generator throbbing nearby. I’m right on the boundary line, NH to starboard, Maine to port. Been a great trip so far, more to come.
C6F203DE-F730-4CAC-9D87-55CCA29F947C.jpeg

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Your dog is too stupid to know he should be uncomfortable with its throat rested in that position. Writing as a dog lover, that’s not intended as insult ;) but rather as a humored observation.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
There are times I wish he was not my dog. We all have our moments
We are currently experiencing what it's like to be dog-less on a boat, having re-homed our two not-suited-for-cruising dogs a couple of weeks ago. Quite a different daily routine so far.
If you know the provenance of my quote, please know that the post was made in jest. It's a literary reference to one of my favorite authors. *

*Hint- "Puddin'-head Wilson".

Last edited:

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
I hate losing conciseness, too. I tend to ramble on and on and on. Then I start repeating myself over and over and over again to the point of being repetitive and redundant.
I’m pretty heat tolerant but that was a trial. We’re the MoBo Xmas again today. Glassy calm but cooler today. She’s an ok MoBo in pleasant weather. A real MoBo, a good sized tub burning barrels of fuel, would have AC and a Barkoliner to nap
In.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
What does that imply? (You want to be Tom's "partner"?) ;)
He's got a good name, but NO!
Not that there's anything wrong with that. :rolleyes:

Edit- Alright, I'll finish the quote.
After the locals heard Puddin' head Wilson state that he wished that the dog was half his, and upon asking why he'd want half a dog, Puddin' head said "I'd kill my half".

Funny stuff, no?

Last edited:

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Moored in Beautiful Biddeford Pool. I’m embarrassed to say, I’ve never been in here. Google turned up an NYmagazine article about these best Maine beaches.

We came in at LW, and in fact, the whole basin was white sand beach.

We spent a few hours beach combing and swimming in pleasant water temps. Just across the street from the dinghy dock is a REAL grocery store.

Between Rockport me and mystic conn, this is the only convenient provision store we found, beside Cuttyhunk’s. The icebox is full again. Life is good.
6D020934-F574-415A-9596-E12589FE562D.jpeg

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Moored in Beautiful Biddeford Pool. I’m embarrassed to say, I’ve never been in here. Google turned up an NYmagazine article about these best Maine beaches.

We came in at LW, and in fact, the whole basin was white sand beach.

We spent a few hours beach combing and swimming in pleasant water temps. Just across the street from the dinghy dock is a REAL grocery store.

Between Rockport me and mystic conn, this is the only convenient provision store we found, beside Cuttyhunk’s. The icebox is full again. Life is good.View attachment 154806
Awww. So cute. "Just wet me down and let me lay in the shade." It is a beautiful stop but we have never dared to challenge the "pool" carrying 5 ft and a bit. We have always called ahead to the YC for a mooring outside. Lived through a heckuva thunderstorm in the middle of dinner. Fantastic western sky.

As for provisions, for the next trip, we have provisioned at Kennebunkport, Gloucester, Scituate, Sandwich, Pt Judith (of course!). We have had more difficulty finding stops where the dogs could run and poop than provisions:)