Lake Fontana North Carolina

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
last week I rented a pontoon boat for the day and scouted lake Fontana.

It is a high altitude lake (read cool and low humidity) that is very primitive. It has only 3 “marinas” on the lake and it is a stretch calling them marinas. I was there on a Saturday and only saw three other boats. There is no development on the shores but a few house boats moored in select coves.

It is a primitive ghunkholer’s paradice.

Is there any interest in organizing an SBO raft-up for next July? I’d be willing to coordinate it if there is interest.
D464E570-6F69-4DD5-B2A0-87D8A7D1FFC5.jpeg
1B1F1CE3-841C-4B09-A93E-5C38CE78CEA7.jpeg

upload_2018-8-3_17-31-42.jpeg

Attachments

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
That's a beautiful lake. If I still had a motorcycle, and Lee would pull the boat, I might think about doing the 4000 mile round trip. To ride the Tail of the Dragon one more time would be worth it.

Apr 11, 2014
Hunter 260 Lake Lanier
Hmm. We may be interested. Although we'll have to see how it's going with our youngest then. He'll only be 1.5 years old so sailing has been put on hold at the moment.

Jan 19, 2010
Okay
PM me and I’ll start a post where we can kick around ideas

Jan 19, 2010
G
I'm interested.
To early for commitments, but I use to sail lake Norman with my hobie. NC is a great place to sail. I love the idea.

- Will (Dragonfly)
great
Maybe a Facebook page would be the easiest way to organize it??

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
G

great
Maybe a Facebook page would be the easiest way to organize it??
Not for me it wouldn't be. I'm told I have a Facebook page, but I don't know how to login. If you did it on Facebook, I'm sure, with my degrees in computer science, I could figure it out.

- Will (Dragonfly)

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Love that lake, but my boat is not that portable.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I talked to my wife and she is very interested too. :)
I hope you get lots of interest, rgranger. I'd love to meet any and all of you all.
I can supply some eggs for breakfast and maybe turkey sandwiches (free range turkey sandwiches ;)).

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 19, 2010
Will

Would you prefer a 4 or 5 day weekend or a week-long thing? Once we settle on a time frame we can pick a date. Then we open it up and let people join in if they like.

How does that sound?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
At this point, I'm open. Linda and I have been talking about finding a place to store Dragonfly near Punta Gorda, Fl for the Winters so we can have her down in an area we love, for when we want some Winter relief, she suggested this might be a good opportunity to tow Dragonfly down then. I don't know what kind of time I can commit to yet, but five days sounds like a good target length. Maybe a Thursday thru Monday (long weekend). If we made it a week long, other sailors could come and go as they get the chance.
Lake Fontana is near the Natahala River. Great kayak and rafting spot for beginners.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Apr 11, 2014
Hunter 260 Lake Lanier
I used to kayak the Nantahala all the time. I've never towed the boat there though. Something's telling me it'll be a different experience from then to now. Ford Ranger with a 7foot kayak in the bed to an F150 with a 26 foot boat that has an 8'6" beam (shh, they could be watching). Rgranger, how did access look for the ramp? Steep?

Mar 29, 2015
MacGregor 25 trailer sailer
Fontana is a beautiful lake, I won a mountain bike race that used to be held there! Dual slalom down the dam. Lots of fun. Awesome place for a refreshing motorcycle ride. The dragons tail isnt too far from there. Never been on the water there before. Only about two hours or so from home. So I may be interested schedule permitting.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
It looks like there's a nice marina on the West end, Fontana Village Resort Marina, and a couple of choices on the East end, Alarka Boat Dock and Prince boat dock. There are quite a few public launch ramps, but most seem to be concentrated to the East end. I can't find definative information on camping and campfires on the shore, but it looks pretty open for that kind of thing. The catfish look great coming out of there:)yum!

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 19, 2010
Prince was not a great place to launch. Parking is a problem and the ramp is not great. The ramp by the damn marina is ideal and the several of the public launches are very good as well.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I was talking to my wife about keeping july open for the raft-up. Someone just booked our rental house for july. She says, "Great, give me a date and I'll keep it open on the calendar."
What's the thinking?

Is that a good place to spend the 4th or is later in the month better?

-Will (Dragonfly)