Whats your favorite anchorage?

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Whether you like it because its close to home, easy to set a hook, or the most beautiful cove on the planet, we all have our preferred anchorages.

Tell us why you like yours... and post a photo!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I have 'favorite' anchorages all over the world, but my real favorite is always the one you can use the most. Right across Wayzata Bay from our club is a relatively secluded cove with good protection from anything with a westerly component. 30 feet of water with a good bottom. We can sail all day, anchor here for a late dinner and drinks, and then go to bed. And still make it to work in the morning. THATS the real trick.

fav ancor.jpg

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Little Scorpion (Santa Cruz Island, CA)---the partly enclosed area (where the boats are) behind the two large rocks. We're the sidewise boat. View from atop Cavern Point looking ESE. Anacapa Island in the distance.

It's pretty in a rugged sense, permits access to interesting features such as caves, kelp beds & trails, and is only 18 n.mi from our erstwhile slip in Ventura Harbor. Nearly always good sailing home on a broad reach.

Little Scorpion.png

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2016
Hunter 260 Lucky Peak, ID
Timely! My answer - depends on where we are. Alaska, Crete, Maine, Oz. etc. - all have been memorable.

Currently on the hook at Spencer Spit on Lopez in the San Juans. Literally, just pulled up a crab pot (dropped next to the boat last night). 3 keepers.

This place is OK too. :)

Last edited:

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Right inside Hillsboro Inlet, there is a small anchorage that is quite nice.
2017-07-19 20.11.48.jpg

and then there is Sunrise Bay in Fort Lauderdale. Our club occasionally uses it for Cruising events.
2017-02-12 07.10.07.jpg

2017-02-12 07.14.14.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Port-side flag mount? Tsk, tsk.
Indeed. While not a true reg, better on starboard. BlueJ has a VFH mast on the starboard transom that would engage with he flag under sail, so I reluctantly moved mine to port. Funny thing is, the 36.7 factory mount for the flag is also on port!

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Port-side flag mount? Tsk, tsk.
That is where it was when I got the boat. Starboard side has the dinghy outboard mount, and outboard motor lift/crane mount. The port side is also now crowded since I added the gas grill.
2018-02-28 14.38.57.jpg
Where should it be?

Nov 8, 2010
That is where it was when I got the boat. Starboard side has the dinghy outboard mount, and outboard motor lift/crane mount. Where should it be?
Details:

The U.S. ensign is proper for all U.S. yachts, without reservation. This is "Old Glory," with 50 stars and 13 stripes. All boats, when at anchor, fly it from the stern staff, if so equipped, only while occupied. It is flown from the stern staff of powerboats underway on inland waters. If the powerboat has a mast and gaff, the proper display is at the gaff. On a sportsfisherman, where a stern staff would be in the way of the action, the practice is to fly the ensign from a halyard rigged just behind the tuna tower.

On Marconi-rigged sailboats under sail alone, the practice for many years had been to fly the ensign from the leech of the aftermost sail, approximately 2/3 the length of the leech above the clew. This puts it in about the same position it would occupy if the boat were gaff-rigged, and on gaff-rigged sailboats it is proper to fly the ensign from the peak of the aftermost gaff.

The advent of the modern high-aspect-ratio rig, with the boom end well inboard of the stern, has made it is possible to fly the ensign from the stern staff of a sailboat underway, and this is now an accepted practice. However, the ensign should never be displayed while the boat is racing. Under power alone, or at anchor or made fast, the ensign should be flown from the stern staff of all sailboats. If an overhanging boom requires that the staff be off center, it should preferably be on the starboard side.

From
https://www.flagandbanner.com/content/boating-flag-traditions-and-etiquette.asp

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
That is where it was when I got the boat. Starboard side has the dinghy outboard mount, and outboard motor lift/crane mount. Where should it be?
Starboard side or on the centerline of the transom if on a pole/staff; not port side. Never from the spreaders.

Nov 8, 2010
Starboard side or on the centerline of the transom if on a pole/staff; not port side. Never from the spreaders.
@Kings Gambit, You seem pretty adamant about the P/S thing.... I've always seen this written as a recommendation and not a reg or protocol. Do you have a source that specifies otherwise? Here's the US-built First 36.7 flying colors to port on the factory mounted staff and ring... I assume if it were an actual reg someone would have changed this.

ScreenShot2013-06-17at95653AM_zpsc909d716.png

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Here's something from the US Power Squadron.

The U.S. national ensign, sometimes called "50-star" or "Old Glory," is the proper and preferred flag for all U.S. vessels. Your boat should wear it from 0800 until sunset, and when you enter or leave port during daylight or at night, weather and rig permitting. While in port, if you leave your boat and will not return before sunset, lower and stow the national ensign before you go.

The national ensign worn by a vessel must be the flag of her registry—not necessarily that of the owner or operator.

Generally, the national ensign should be displayed at the peak of the gaff, i.e., the outer end of the spar extending aft from the mast of your boat—if your boat has a gaff. If it does not, fly it from the flagstaff at your boat's stern. If your boat has an overhanging boom or an outboard motor, your flagstaff may be offset to starboard (preferably) from your boat's centerline.

On a sportfishing boat, where a stern staff might interfere with the gear, and vice versa, the practice is to fly the ensign from a halyard rigged amidships on the after part of the superstructure.

Marconi-rigged sailboats may fly the ensign from the leech of the aftermost sail (or from the back stay), approximately 2/3 the distance up its length. This puts it in about the same position it would occupy if the boat were gaff-rigged.

At anchor or made fast, the ensign should be flown from the stern staff of all boats. The U.S. national ensign has a 10:19 hoist/fly ratio.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
All my favorite natural places are known to those who have been there. They remain for others to experience the joy of discovery.

I do not tell people where my favorite places are, but I will take you there if I like you, and you promise to keep it on the down low, too. Likewise, I wish other people would not broadcast their favorite natural spots. They already have enough visitors.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
You can argue all day long that there's is no "rule" that says you can't fly colors on port side. Doesn't change the fact that the starboard side of the boat traditionally holds the "higher" position of honor--and if having a choice, that is where the US flag should be flown if on a staff. What do the Frenchys care about US flag "protocol"? Where do they fly theirs?

Nov 8, 2010
You can argue all day long that's there is no "rule" that says you can't fly colors on port side. Doesn't change the fact that the starboard side of the boat traditionally holds the "higher" position of honor--and if making a choice, that is where the US flag should be flown if on a staff. What do the Frenchys care about US flag "protocol"? Where do they fly theirs?
hey Grumpy! ;^)

I'm not arguing at all. I said in my first post that I agree that its better on starboard. But that is a recommendation on the protocol. In fact it's perfectly OK for it to be on port, and probably not warranting the dismissive 'tisk tisk'.