Cowl Vents on 37C

Manny

Oct 5, 2006
Hunter 82? 37 Cutter Wherever the wind takes me
Anyone know who made the cowl vents for the 37C? I am assuming mine are original and I finally lost one overboard this past weekend. I knew it would happen eventually and it did. They really need crash bars or some other protection from the staysail sheet...
Mine look like what is available out there but the ones i found are "male" so the get inserted into the deck plate. On my 37C they are "female", they slip over the deck plate fitting, and that is 3 1/4" outer diameter, so the the vents have a 3 1/4" inner diameter.
Any help would be appreciated!

Manny

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
On the later models (post 1982) there was a 'crash bar' over top of the dorades (cowl vents). On mine the cowl vents are male. I have never seen the female version. Often when you buy cowl vents they are supplied with the deck ring and blanking cap, so maybe not an issue to replace the whole thing? SBO has them in the chandlery for a very reasonable price...

Manny

Oct 5, 2006
Thanks Jim. I was hoping just to find a drop in replacement but i guess it won't be that simple. I may just get two of those low profile passive vents, but i do like the look of the cowl vents.

Manny

Oct 5, 2006
By the way, I would love to see pictures of how the crash bars are set up on the 37C...

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
By the way, I would love to see pictures of how the crash bars are set up on the 37C...

Attachments

Manny

Oct 5, 2006
Thanks for posting the picture Johnb. So it is one bar, there's not a cross bar(s) for additional support? I can't tell from the picture.

Manny

Oct 5, 2006
Thank you - that helps. What are the two little white things on the crash bar in the center? Is that to keep the boom from sliding if you rest it on the bars?

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Thank you - that helps. What are the two little white things on the crash bar in the center? Is that to keep the boom from sliding if you rest it on the bars?
Yes it is. However most of the time when we are on board I raise the boom up because if it is tied down you could not escape through the Vee berth hatch. They are home made out of Starboard.

Manny

Oct 5, 2006
Thanks - yeah that make sense. The boom is very much in the way of the hatch. I keep mine raised at the dock and as far over to one side as possible.

Manny

Oct 5, 2006
So I figured out the correct cowl vent. It is the Sea Dog 3" vent. The reason I thought the cowl vent was "female" is because on both of my vents, they had detached from the coupling that fits into the deck plate. Looks like the adhesive had failed over the years. It also explains why they pop off so easily. The new one is a lot more difficult to turn or remove. Now i just need to replace the other one so they match color wise and there is less chance of it being flung overboard!

May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
Lost one a few years ago when a sheet got snagged on it. Now I have a small drilled hole in each and a tether so that if it happens again, the vent won't go awol.

Manny

Oct 5, 2006
Lost one a few years ago when a sheet got snagged on it. Now I have a small drilled hole in each and a tether so that if it happens again, the vent won't go awol.
Okay - that's a great idea! I need to do that on mine...