Will it hold?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
lost a turnbuckle for a forward lower shroud when it vibrated off at 2 am. On the gulf of Maine. No chance of finding one (thanks Dave Evans for driving me all over).

Found a hardware store 3/8” turnbuckle. SS loops but body is aluminum with a “safe rating of 350 pounds” on the label. Added SS 3/8” chain links I had.

Put a safety line between the chain links, in case (7/16” double braid).

Will look for a replacement in Newport tomorrow, which a port tack away(jury rig on starboard, but may have to go on starboard tack)

B3C7C540-26F5-4EDA-AE30-DE6B783784C5.jpeg

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
ost a turnbuckle ... when it vibrated off
I can't imagine how that could happen! I assume the studs remained, and the body is gone? I guess it wasn't safetied or didn't have cotter pins installed?

Your jury rig looks O.K., but yes, I would be concerned about that low working load.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I think you know the answer. That is only about 10% of the required SWL. Your pre-load is higher than that. The quick links are also a weak point; they are less than 1/2 the strength of shackles the same size. The SWL of used 7/16-inch PDB is probably about 500 pounds at that bend radius. The line back-up will stretch, the working load on the line will triple (bad angles--do the math), and you will probably buckle the mast before the line fails... which it will. And is that a square knot? Surely galv anchor shackles are available?

Because of the difference in stretch, the rope is not sharing the load. It will not feel any material load until after the u-bolt is gone. So there is zero load sharing.

Use the engine and wait for calm weather, or have one sent by FedX. There is no reason to take the risk, which is substantial.

The obvious jury rig, to me, is 2 large shackles and a Dyneema lashing. Dyneema is new-age duct tape for sailors.

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i would not sail with that setup tom, period. you will locate a proper turnbuckle in that area of the coast. a short scavenger hunt will cover your needs.
i like the dyneema lashing with two shackles that thinwater shared. that would make you seaworthy for sure.

long term, i prolly have the part you lost in my stash of original parts. i swapped the inclosed original turn buckles for open sided ones years ago. but, i'm not in wisconsin for another week or so. i can only assume i still have them. but, i save everything.

May 25, 2012
maybe you should use a new perspective as to this rendezvous and think of it more as a swap meet :)

or yard sale

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Once you get a new turnbuckle and have all adjusted, seize them all with stainless wire. Easy to do, hole is end of each threaded stud for the purpose.

May 25, 2012
tom's turnbuckles are inclosed. my alden had the same. there is no hole for a wire. 1950's style gear from denmark.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
West Marine in Middletown is about 3 miles from downtown. There is cab service or Uber.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Hi Tom, I wouldn’t trust that jury rig. Concur that Dyneema or galvanized shackles would work better. However I have little concern about the quicklinks, which should have a WLL of at least 2000 pounds, breaking strength at 3 or 4 times that.

Jun 14, 2010
PS - I’d skip Newport. Based on the strong southerly winds forecast this week you will have an ugly trip back south to exit Narragansett Bay. If you’re still headed to Mystic that would be my recommended next stop, port tack all the way, and there’s a West Marine a short cab ride away, near the Mystic Aquarium. Point Judith and Stonington are another options, and still within a cab ride or Uber from West Marine stores.

May 25, 2012
me, i just ask to talk to the rigger at the seaport. at least by phone. he'd have some ideas. plus tom's boat is a spectacular alden that will be looking strong in that neighbor hood. i'm thinking he's a few phone calls away from finding what he needs.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
A wise young dock hand once told me

“I’ve seen three bad marine accidents in my short time working here. They all had one thing in common.... a deadline”

He told me this as I was preparing to depart in a thick fog. Because I had a deadline.... he was right of course

Jun 14, 2010
There’s a great second-hand marine store just north of the Mystic draw bridge, on the east side of the river. (41.3560730,-71.9665083) Mystic Marine Consignment. (860) 245-0588

Closed Monday and Tuesday, opens 10:00am Wednesday

I’ve enjoyed browsing through the inventory. I bet they’d have something close you can use.

Jun 14, 2010
The more I think about it, Mystic Marine Consignment is your best bet, Tom. Perhaps you can come up with a (stronger) rev-2 jury-rig to get you there. Dyneema lashings would be my first choice. Get some 1/4" dyneema and make 4 or 5 turns, then tie at least 4 lashing knots. Good luck. :)
(1/4" Dyneema has a breaking strength over 5,000 pounds, and near-zero stretch.)

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Annealed stainless steel or Monel wire are both acceptable. I've only ever seen Monel in the boat stores.
Monel wire is readily available through McMaster-Carr. Just put monel wire in the search box and it comes right up. They even have annealed wire specifically for this purpose. Thanks for the tip. I may buy some for my turnbuckles. I'm currently using stainless cotter keys but am not happy with them.
dj