Is it possible to install a deck hatch in a '72?

Jul 2, 2018
Catalina 22 Acton Lake, OH
Has anyone successfully installed a hatch in an old style Catalina 22 (1972) that did not have one? If so, what did you use?

Aug 31, 2017
Catalina Catalina 22 Tampa
I don't see a reason why it can't be done. Lewmar makes hatches in all different sizes. I would pick a size that best fits the area you want it in that won't jeopardize the integrity of the deck. You'll want to make sure to seal the core material with epoxy and what I would do is make a bezel trim ( i.e. laminated composite as thin plywood would be too weak) for the inside to help add strength back to the area.

Jul 2, 2018
Catalina 22 Acton Lake, OH
My concern is the curvature of the deck. From what I can tell, aftermarket hatches are for flat surfaces.

May 24, 2018
Catalina 22 Norcal
My concern is the curvature of the deck. From what I can tell, aftermarket hatches are for flat surfaces.
You could always build up a ring or frame that will saddle the curvature and give you a flat surface to mount the hatch.

Check out this SailLife video. That series has been a great resource for me a new DIYer because it seems like a realistic representation of refitting a boat (boat looked solid, but EVERYTHING needs attention and refurbishment.)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Indeed. Hatches need a flat surface with less then 1cm curve over the entire length or width.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
It is possible everything can be done if you have enough $$$$$. Like VS suggest you make a curved frame out of teak wood to attach to the deck and then mount a universal hatch on the top flat surface of the frame.