Post trip report for Lake Ouachita using Mountain Harbor in Mount Ida Arkansas.

May 13, 2016
Catalina 22 MK II 15377 Granbury Texas
There is a good sailing community on the lake. I found my Catalina 22 one of the smallest sailboats on the lake. Of course there were the typical derelict boats found at any marina, but most were well kept and had been used recently. The fleet included two large Tartans, a 45’ Hanse, and many others. They were BEAUTIFUL.

On my first dock mooring fellow sailors were there to help, and we were immediately one of the family. The hospitality was incredible.

Facilities
Mountain Harbor is a beautiful place. It’s a full service marina with plenty of room for trailer sailors to tie up. There are tons of Highschool helpers that will run, fetch, and tote for a small tip. It’s extremely well managed.
Todd is the marina manager and made me good deal at $15/night.

The ramp is often used for launching huge houseboats that are common here. It was very easy to launch and recover “Boat-Hemian Rhapsody”. I used my trailer extension, but I don’t think I really needed it. The parking lot was large and I was able to position the boat in a shady area for raising and lowering the mast early in the day.

Lodging

The lodging at Mountain Harbor is nice. They have a lodge and cabins for rent. They are expensive, especially during the season, and we didn’t stay there.

We hauled our camper and stayed in a Corp of Engineer campground (Joplin Campground) only 5 minutes away. It was only $16 per night. The campsites only have electric, but have water and a dump onsite.

Sailing
The lake is beautiful. It’s very deep. Depths of 100’ and more are common. There are a couple of islands and one sandbar, but they are easily avoided. It’s best to stay away from the area west of the marina as there are stumps. Nothing to worry about. The lake is huge and there is too much to explore north and east of the marina.

Unfortunately we only had 1 really good day of sailing. The wind didn’t cooperate. It was either dead or on a couple of days it thunder-stormed and we stayed in. We also had some family obligations.

We went out 4 times but had to motor 3 of them. We had access to a ski boat so did that also.

We had a good 800 mile round trip. I appreciated the advice I got on hauling the boat. Now back to Lake Worth..

I highly recommend this as an outing.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
But your boat has something the larger ones don't have and that is the freedom to sail other destinations. Don't know why someone would choose to have a 45' Hanse in a landlocked lake but they must have a good reason. Would like to think he has another one in the Caribbean.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Hmm. I have family in Ft. Smith. But no tow vehicle capable of getting the boat out there...

May 13, 2016
Benny it was theorized that he plans to move it to the Caribbean when he retires. I didn’t meet him but talked to others.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
...We hauled our camper and stayed in a Corp of Engineer campground...
TG-M, Would you mind describing your camper rig? I'm particularly interested in how you haul your camper and sailboat at the same time.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
But your boat has something the larger ones don't have and that is the freedom to sail other destinations. Don't know why someone would choose to have a 45' Hanse in a landlocked lake but they must have a good reason. Would like to think he has another one in the Caribbean.
Having owed a boat a 4 hour plane ride away, one a 4 hour drive away, and one a 4 minute drive away, I can tell you that there is nothing like having your boat close. The ability to pack up and go sailing at a moments notice is transformatitive.

I'm assuming the guy/gal with the Hanse lives nearby and is loving life.

Last edited:
May 13, 2016
TG-M, Would you mind describing your camper rig? I'm particularly interested in how you haul your camper and sailboat at the same time.
We took two trucks. Sorry if that wasn’t clear.
Wife pulled the gooseneck and I pulled the bait.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
This is how we do it. The S2 will be larger but we will still have several thousand pounds of tow capacity left according to the Ram specs. I still wish I had not sold my "real truck", but Lee hated the ten speed manual.

Attachments

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
Thanks, Texas Gun-Man and Lee and Rick. I have another question for both of you, regarding camper/sailboat travel: If you were to start over, knowing what you now know, what would you do differently?

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Thanks, Texas Gun-Man and Lee and Rick. I have another question for both of you, regarding camper/sailboat travel: If you were to start over, knowing what you now know, what would you do differently?
We have tried about every conceivable way of traveling with the boat plus lots of trips racing boats,staying in motels, tents, or the boat. In 40 years we have been to most major lakes in the Southeast, entire gulf coast, most major lakes west of the continental divide and most bays and sailing areas on the west coast. (in chronological order)
Ford Pinto towing Hobie 16 with a tent on the tramp. Raced boat for several years. Least expensive
Mini van with bed inside towing predecessor to the 49er and 29er all over the country. (business endeavor)
Catalina 25 behind a Suburban camping in the boat. Not bad but up and down a ladder.
28' Class A towing Catalina 25, a bit under powered with a '92 Ford 460 (new at the time)
One of us driving Ram 3500 flatbed towing Catalina 25 while other drove the real truck towing 37' fifth wheel. Full time
RVing at the time. This is the most expensive option (2 camping spaces) but the most comfortable.
Real truck and fifth wheel with other driving Xterra towing San Juan 21 Expensive but comfortable.
Xterra towing San Juan 21 and camping in the boat or tent. Next least expensive.
12' Side door truck camper (modified for 2 people only) on Ram 3500 towing O'Day 23, ( soon the S2 8.0C )comfortable, easy to drive, and launch. Side door keeps one from climbing around trailer tongue. Overall length requires only one space at CG. You have a truck for home projects or taking boat to local lake. This has been the best fit for us now that we are in our 60s. I would get a Ram 4500 or 5500, to increase the GVWR, and build my own storage body. We are near the GVWR (14000) of the 3500 but 9000 pounds left on GCWR when towing the S2. We always run a weight distribution hitch which improves handling.

We have considered a 25' class C recently but I don't want to give up the power, exhaust brake (real plus out here in the mountains) or camper off utility of the truck just to not have to climb up into the overhead bed.:D

We have had several other boats but the setup was one of the above. I would still go with the truck camper and if you or Lee would give me the money get a Ram 5500.:)