H170 Mast Floatation

Jul 26, 2017
Hunter H376 Kent Is., MD
PLZ, Any suggestions for Mast Floatation on H170 other than the Hobie "Big Boy , expensive "egg" ?? Will bending a fender over top of mast ( secured thru holes in top ) suffice ?? Stuffing Mast with " Noodles " ?? Many Thanx, MRF

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
Any resealable big container will do. For a while i had an empty orange arm and hammer laundry detergent bottle hung from mast.

I figured it looked just as idiotic as the hobie float.

I later popped the rivets for the top and noodled the top 5 inches or so. Just enough to keep water from rushing in. Worked great in flip tests.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I once owned a Capri 14.2 and built a mast float from a lobster float. purchased at Hamilton Marine as I recall. worked great for about a $15.00 expenditure.
P1030300.jpg
P1020763.jpg

Jul 26, 2017
Hunter H376 Kent Is., MD
Thanx, BO, I've read @ stuffing "Noodles" in the mast from both ends. How do you pop rivets, and do they have to be replaced?? RussC, great suggestion. Lobsta Buoys look similar to the Hobie mast floats. And a lot cheaper!! Fair Winds.... MRF

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
We tried all sorts of things on our clubs C420s only two things worked the Hobie Bob a couple of PFDs attached to the main halyard (worked but not really realistic).
I know the Bob is not cheap but was really the only way to go