Shore Power Cord Strain Reliever

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Awhile ago boat movement placed a strain on the shore power cord for our boat, which caused it to work loose, broke the locking ring on the boat end and almost became disconnected. To prevent this from happening again I designed and built a cord strain reliever out of an assortment of parts on hand that cost maybe less than a $1.00. The carabiner end is clipped to a stanchion. That was several years ago and so far the design has worked out quite well. Simple and cost effective.

Cruise201815.JPG

A different angle of my design shows what used to be a short piece of nylon strap dog leash that I found on the road while running with a carabiner on the hand loop end and an adjustable clamp that secures the working end of the dog leash to the shore power cord.

Cruise201814.JPG

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Good deal. But I wonder if you could connect the loop to the toe rail rather than the stanchion? I'd be worried a out transferring loads to the stanchion and compromising the base over time.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Oh the horrors! Is that hose clamp stainless steel? You should ALWAYS use double hose clamps. Eeeeek!!!

Ok. I got every bit of possible objection out of the way. Great job. Thanks for sharing.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Uh froggy, yes SS, and only double needed below the waterline. OBTW, thank you. Time for hibernation? You're such a tadpole. :D

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
That looks very serviceable Terry.

I take one of the several 1/4 inch pieces of line on the boat. Wrap a couple of half hitched around the cord so it doesn’t slide and the tie off around a secure point on the boat or near the electrical dock outlet. Quick bit of seamanship and all is good for those times when you need to stretch the cord to the end.
Then when I was in Port Hudson bemoaning the thought that the boat was not tied up close enough to reach the outlet off the bow, this clever dockmate announced “why don’t you just use the outlet off you stern. It’s only about 15 feet away. “
:banghead::biggrin:

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You are too funny Terry. :kick:

It is a herd of halve hitches so that the cord does not slip as the boat moves. I like your keen eye @Roland5048 . :biggrin: