Anyone here know Rock Hall MD? (The town, not Dr. Hall.)

Feb 28, 2013
Pacific Seacraft 40 Belfast
We'll be moving from Maine back to Maryland (Chestertown) in a month or two. We'll probably want to keep the boat (Pacific Seacraft 40) in Rock Hall. There are a lot of marinas in that area. I'm seeking recommendations from anyone who knows the area..

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
I'm curious as to why you would be moving to Chesterown? I'm familiar with the town (pretty quiet place...) and the area as I got my undergrad degree at Washington College there. Rock Hall is only a short drive from C'town and has some very good marinas. I really like Haven Harbour just north of the town. However, when leaving Rock Hall for the bay, you have to transit about 2 miles due south to clear Swan Pt bar. No big deal. A great area to sail/cruise from. You'll love it.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Chris,
There are several places is Rock Hall -- but I'd be concerned with your 6'+ draft. I wouldn't necessarily take the assurances of the marina operators. :^))) The wind blows from the North or a high pressure system sets in and the Bay water can drop another 18-24" in not a lot of time.

As for Rock Hall - Sailing Emporium is one place that I always liked. Be aware that the Willis', that own it, are in a Bankruptcy proceeding. Their marina was nicely laid-out; and, aside from business issues, Art and his wife were pretty decent when I knew them.

I'm not sure of the draft situation, but Haven Harbor is a great location.
https://marinas.com/view/marina/2gcx9q_Haven_Harbour_Marina_Rock_Hall_MD_United_States

Last edited:

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
We'll be moving from Maine back to Maryland (Chestertown) in a month or two.

I trust that means a "done deal" with you, Chris? If not, as Warren asks, why?

6'+ draft...aside from the the Eastern shore is bucolic.

Keep a boat with a 6' draft is somewhat limited below the Sassafras River to Kent Narrows. Then you get into St. Michaels (not a lot of slips); and, Oxford (more); and Cambridge (more)...

The Western Shore has Annapolis, South and Rhode River. Etc., etc.

Feb 28, 2013
Why? Too many Maine winters for an aging body.

I lived in Maryland for more than 30 years and loved the eastern shore. We sailed up to Chestertown a few times and liked everything about the town.

And, yes, it is a done deal.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Maybe -- but, as I said, the reported tides have a tendency to be VERY overstated. We previously were at Chesapeake Harbour in Annapolis (we moved to Jabin's this year). The depth at our slip was supposedly 8-9" minimum with an approach of 9' at Chesapeake Harbour.

We often saw depths of 18" - 24" less than that from the actual water level drop. (The entrance to Chesapeake Harbour had "silted-in" spot that occasionally cleaned the bottom of our 7'-4"+ keel.)

It's mud and sand -- but the approach in Rock Hall to the inner harbor is circuitous. Haven Harbor looks too shallow to really work for you unless you're into sitting in the mud; and, being prepared not to get in and out when you'd like.

It's not Belfast or Castine, ME

Jun 16, 2011
Catalina 350 Rock hall
Haven harbor is a great place, they have also acquired sailing emporium and it is now haven harbor south. We keep our boat at the original HH and love it very active slip holders and the staff and amenities are the best around. As far as draft our old boat was 5-2 and we never had an issue. As far as the swan point bar it is virtually none existent we leave the channel at green 5 and go right across.

Apr 17, 2013
Hinckley B-40 Annapolis
I really enjoy Osprey Point. Very well maintained and terrific floating docks. http://www.ospreypoint.com/
I should add that I would not recommend Gratitude Marina, which is owned by the same group.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2017
Rosborough 246 Upper Chesapeake
Hey, welcome to Kent County! I've lived in Rock Hall for about 12 years. Each of the marinas here has its own character (and characters). It kind of depends on what you are looking for. Haven Harbor (on Swan Creek) is the most resort-like and has a great reputation for its services. As was mentioned they have bought Sailing Emporium (in Rock Hall Harbor) and it is now Haven Harbor South. There are 3 other marinas in Swan Creek: Osprey Point mentioned above, Spring Cove, the furthest in the Creek - lovely grounds with a pool, no winter storage and Swan Creek Marina - family owned, basic, very laid back. We've kept boats at both Spring Cove and Swan Creek. We are now at Swan Creek.

The harbor is a busy, bustling place on weekends in the summer and can be noisy with bands at a couple of restaurants on the harbor.

Swan Creek is quieter and truly beautiful but the further back in the Creek you go, the more likely you are to have problems getting out with a north wind blowout. This past weekend we had about 10 boats scheduled for a rendezvous at a winery on Kent Island and only two made it - our pocket trawler and another large trawler that churned mud getting out of Spring Cove. The other Spring Cove boats were stuck in the mud. I think they would have gotten out if they had been at Swan Creek. Swan CreekMarina is closest to the mouth of the creek followed by Osprey Point, then Haven Harbor and then Spring Cove tucked all the way in the back.

You might also want to consider the marinas on Worton Creek - Worton Creek Marina and Handy's Point. Nice Places but a little further up the Bay. On the Chester River, Langford Bay Marina is a lovely spot. Don't hesitate to PM me for more local knowledge.

Mary Lou
Rosborough RF246 Tara
Rock Hall

Feb 28, 2013
Thanks Mary Lou, Steve, and others. We'll be in Worton Creek at Green Point Landing. It's even closer to Chestertown than Rock Hall.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
[QUOTE="SG, post: 1468626, member: 137068...As for Rock Hall - Sailing Emporium is one place that I always liked. Be aware that the Willis', that own it, are in a Bankruptcy proceeding....[/QUOTE]

I was in Rock Hall a couple weeks ago. Sailing Emporium is now called "Haven South", as opposed to the original Haven on Swan Creek, IIRC. They were gutting all the commercial buildings to remodel. Between the work building and boardwalk they took out the bushes and replace with white sand and palm trees. NJLarry, we'll be back there Aug 4/5 with SOS.

From the Chestertown bridge it looked like they are FINALLY rebuilding the town docks. Cambridge City Marina is nice, with oodles of open slips.

We also stayed at Langford Bay Marina off the Chester. Nice place, pool, land storage, chandlery. They are calling for slip renters, though. It IS a ways from the bay, though- but sailing is sailing. Maybe 10 miles farther to drive than Rock Hall.

Feb 11, 2017
Rosborough 246 Upper Chesapeake
[QUOTE="SG, post: 1468626, member: 137068...As for Rock Hall - Sailing Emporium is one place that I always liked. Be aware that the Willis', that own it, are in a Bankruptcy proceeding....
From the Chestertown bridge it looked like they are FINALLY rebuilding the town docks. Canbridge City Marina is nice, with oodles of open slips.

We also stayed at Langford Bay Marina off the Chester. Nice place, pool, land storage, chandlery. They are calling for slip renters, though. It IS a ways from the bay, though- but sailing is sailing. Maybe 10 miles farther to drive than Rock Hall.[/QUOTE]

Chestertown Marina was bought by the town and they are doing extensive remodeling won't be open until the end of the season at the earliest.

Langford is only about 4-5 miles from Rock Hall but it's about the same distance from Chestertown.

I noted that Chris said he decided on Green Point and I should have included it when I mentioned marinas on Worton Creek. My only hesitation in recommending Worton is that it's very rural and there isn't much around in the way of services - no grocery, gas station, drug store, etc. Closest are in Rock Hall or C-town. Actually all of Kent County is very rural. Rock Hall is the 2nd largest town at 1200 full-time resident though the population is increased by a lot of people with 2nd homes.