Pop Top Latch Clips for Original and "New Design" Catalina 22

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Hello all,

I was at the local store today, looking for some boat stuff, and happened to notice that they sold these clips. They will hold the pop top hatch dog handles up, when raising and lowering the pop top.

CD sells similar, but the local guy was cheaper once I added shipping.

SBO sell them too, so if you want to buy them online, I'd get them from the guys who host this forum.

https://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?793

"Beckson Clipper Clips"

Part# "CLP- 3/4" works perfectly.
Black, 5/8 in. to 7/8 in. Holding Range

I bought 2 pair and eight #6 x 1/2 stainless screws to hold them on the pop top.

As an added bonus, the CD clips apparently need spacers under the clip for some reason. As you can see from the photo below, these do not. Simply mark the position and screw them into place.
It took me 15 minutes to install 4 of them.

$10 and 15 minutes. That seems likes a good deal to minimize the POS factor.

KIMG0166.jpg

pop top clips installed.jpg

Last edited:

w4swk

Mar 23, 2015
1991 Catalina 22 Wing Keel 15202 Nocona
Hello all,

I was at the local store today, looking for some boat stuff, and happened to notice that they sold these clips. They will hold the pop top hatch dog handles up, when raising and lowering the pop top.

CD sells similar, but the local guy was cheaper once I added shipping.

SBO sell them too, so if you want to buy them online, I'd get them from the guys who host this forum.

https://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?793

"Beckson Clipper Clips"

Part# "CLP- 3/4" works perfectly.
Black, 5/8 in. to 7/8 in. Holding Range

I bought 2 pair and eight #6 x 1/2 stainless screws to hold them on the pop top.

As an added bonus, the CD clips apparently need spacers under the clip for some reason. As you can see from the photo below, these do not. Simply mark the position and screw them into place.
It took me 15 minutes to install 4 of them.

$10 and 15 minutes. That seems likes a good deal to minimize the POS factor.

View attachment 153512

View attachment 153516
Good find!!!! Those things are a pain in the ...!

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
I bought 4 but haven't installed. Another 8 holes bothers me

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Those might be my new boat hook holders. ;)
+1, been looking for a good spot to stow that boat hook
aside from the poptop, also useful on the front hatch dogs on < 86 models....PITA there too...but alas, more holes, everything a compromise...

Jul 23, 2013
1981 Catalina 22 #10330 Bayview, ID
If you prefer metal hardware to plastic like I do, get the Perko clips and never worry about them breaking.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
If you prefer metal hardware to plastic like I do, get the Perko clips and never worry about them breaking.
Agreed. Stainless is better for durability.
The 5/8" ID Perkos stick out 1 1/2 inches. The Becksons are smaller and have rounded ends, so I returned the Perkos.
Not a big issue due to their location, but the less metal edges I can possibly mash my head into, on these small boats, the better.
SBO's product info for the beckson even tries to sell them on that point: "The safety design reduces the potential hazard for injury present with pointed or sharp edged metal clips."

I had considered fabricating my own metal ones, with rubber coated arms that reused the hatch dog's mounting bolts. Exact fit and no new holes, but I took the easier route. hehe

For those wanting the Perko ones, the SBO store also has them.
https://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?12701

Last edited: