One more line to go to the cockpit....which should I choose

Oct 21, 2015
Catalina 22 Lafayette, IN
I have a 1986 C-22 that is now rigged to take lines back to the cockpit. I have the main sail halyard, main sail downhaul, jib halyard, jib downhaul, and jiffy reefing lines all run to the cockpit (jib downhaul on a cleat on the port stanchion).
I installed larger deck organizers, and installed some (used) clutches on the cabin top for the lines. I have one clutch space still available, and don't know which would be more useful in the cockpit; an adjustable Cunningham, or adjustable outhaul.
We sail primarily on inland lakes, winds 10-20 knots. I don't race the boat (have another one for that!). Non furling jib. No spinnaker.
I'm not sure which I'd use more if it was accessible from the cockpit, the cunningham or the outhaul? What are your thoughts and/or suggestions?
Thanks

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
If you don't race the Cunningham is superfluous, assuming you can still tighten the main halyard enough to tighten the luff as much as you want isn't that so? The Cunningham was invented to allow more tightening of the main luff without inadvertently violating sail dimensions in racing classes. At least that's the story I was told!

So, I would go with the outhaul. That way you have both important sail shape control lines, halyard (for luff) and outhaul (for foot).

May 24, 2018
Catalina 22 Norcal
I'm going to be the contrarian because I don't really see an advantage to running the outhaul forward. It's already (presumably) at the back of boom and accessible to the skipper on the tiller.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I'm going to be the contrarian because I don't really see an advantage to running the outhaul forward. It's already (presumably) at the back of boom and accessible to the skipper on the tiller.
Took the words right out of my mouth. :)

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
Except when the boom moves outward over the side of the boat. The cunnigham is the halyard in reverse. The primary sail trim control for Draft (belly) is the outhaul. On a C22 I personally wouldn't wast my time with a cunnigham.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I didn't know the outhaul was controlled at the boom end. On mine, it runs forward and is cleated on the boom near the mast. It makes me crazy that every single control line comes to the cockpit except the outhaul! Plus, on this boat the outhaul moves very easily, and has a dramatic affect on sail shape.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Since it already goes forward to near mast run the outhaul to the cockpit, and go sailing.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Move the outhaul cleat to mid boom, right above the hatch so you can reach it from the cockpit except when the boom is way out. I like the Cunningham cleat close by. I'd rather have the halyard cleat at the mast than the Cunningham, it's a much quicker way to adjust luff tension rather than dealing with the halyard... However... I don't think a clutch is necessary for Cunningham. On my boat the it's a 3:1 purchase routed back to a clam cleat with a fairlead. I don't have to leave my seat to cleat or release the line.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
On 99% of boats you adjust the outhaul much more than the Cunningham.

A Cunningham at the mast is easier to adjust than an outhaul on the boom.

You can make a simple 2:1 on the Cunningham by running the line through the eye and back down to the tack. More than enough for the C22.

So, outhaul to the cockpit, leave the cuni at the mast.

May 17, 2004
Cunningham - interesting term and as some of you know it has nothing to do with anything unlike outhaul, halyard, bow, stern, mast etc. In fact, it's named after the sailor who developed it. His name is Briggs Cunningham and he was the skipper of Columbia, which was the America Cup defender in 1958. The cunningham and the halyard are brothers and like a lot of brothers they work in opposite direction to each other. Briggs problem was his boat was a "full on hoist", which means there is a black band on the top of the mast that defines the top limit of the hoist. What Briggs wanted to do was move the DRAFT POSITION aft but if he cranked on the halyard the main would go above the black mark and that would be a violation. He figured out a downward pull would accomplish the same thing, which it did!! You might say that's nice but I don't sail a 1958 America Cup boat. and I don't have a black mark at the top of the mast and you'd be right BUT you do have a sheave at the top of your mast, which is your black mark. If you crank on the halyard you'll force the halyard shackle into the sheave. So, your solution to moving the draft position (if you even fool around with that element of sail trim) is the same as Briggs.

If you ever listened to old time radio as I did "now you know the rest of the story". You might be able to pick up a few drinks at the YC bar by asking if anyone can explain CUNNINGHAM.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
... you do have a sheave at the top of your mast, which is your black mark. If you crank on the halyard you'll force the halyard shackle into the sheave.
The gooseneck on a C22 slides up and down in the sail track. Seems to me, if your halyard shackle tops out, you've got the boom set too high.

May 17, 2004
The gooseneck on a C22 slides up and down in the sail track. Seems to me, if your halyard shackle tops out, you've got the boom set too high.
Probably on a C22, I don't know as I've never sailed one. I should have indicated my memo was about sailboats in general and where the situation would apply, which probably starts with 25' boats and above.

Aug 31, 2011
Catalina C-22 9485 Lake Rathbun, IA
I run a boom topping lift aft the cockpit. Got rid of the stupid pigtail device that was always getting forgotten when hoisting the main. Ran an old jib halyard (since i have a furler) and attached a shackle fitting to the end of the boom. Now I can control boom height with ease when not sailing. Works a treat.

Attachments

Aug 31, 2011
Catalina C-22 9485 Lake Rathbun, IA
I have one. "It's a very nice, you know". Beautiful in fact. But keep having issues fouling at the masthead with the CDI furler gear, even with the CD masthead extension. Off-season project. Next year for sure. Always something to do on a boat. even at the dock in the rain, there's plenty of 'maintenance' to get done !! :).