Damage Assessment

Jun 13, 2018
Catalina C-22 Orange Beach, AL
Hello all,

Looking at an otherwise very sweet 1981 C-25. Surveyor found some damage this morning. I’ve yet to receive his full report but he sent me this picture below. Please take a look at it if you will and advise as to if this can even be repaired to get her seaworthy (assuming seller goes wayyy down on price). Looks like the keel dropped and then the problem was not properly attended to and became worse over the years. Any help/experience would be most appreciated!

Attachments

Jun 13, 2018
He will be providing appraisal tomorrow and estimated repair costs, but wanted to get as many opinions on this as I could. Thanks, ladies and gents.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Factoring in that 91 Cat25s can be had for $5K, why would you even think about one has major damage? That repair could cost as much as the boat costs. And leaving the boat in that half-assed condition speaks to the ownership and the general state that you will find everything else. That's not the only place they cut corners or took the cheap way out.

Jun 13, 2018
Roger that, men. Thanks for the quick replies. I’m likely letting my desire for a C-25 (been looking and looking; need swing keel and trailer) cloud my judgement. I’m much obliged for the sober words, gents.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
It's always a good idea to do your own inspection before hiring a surveyor. Had you posted this before spending money on a survey, I suspect the consensus would be to not bother going further.

My only other thought is that if you did want to move forward with this, get whomever you would hire for the repair to give an estimate rather than rely on "the guy who doesn't have to do it". If you plan a DIY repair, you have no real basis to negotiate a specific price reduction.

Jun 13, 2018
I think it’s unlikely I’ll move forward and certainly not DIY something like this. I would have gone to the boat first but she’s quite a ways distance, hence bringing in the surveyor on the front end.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I think it’s unlikely I’ll move forward and certainly not DIY something like this. I would have gone to the boat first but she’s quite a ways distance, hence bringing in the surveyor on the front end.
That's smart. I did the same thing recently, but agreed to a 'short circuit' price if the surveyor found something in a preliminary walk-around that would likely abort the sale. They would send an pic via cell phone and let me see.

Jun 13, 2018
That’s a great idea, JackDaw. Wish I’d thought of requesting something like that with this guy. I’ll let y’all know the highlights of the survey tomorrow . . .

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
You might want to look at www.sailingtexas.com under the Boats for sale, Catalina Capri listings. I note there is an 88 Cat 27 for sale in your neck of the woods and see several Cat 25's

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
If you search these forums or note how many posts on these forums are about centerboard/swing keel problems I would avoid buying a boat with even a whiff of a problem.

Jun 13, 2018
Shemandr, yeah, I started looking today after I got the pics and they are everywhere indeed. I learnt a lesson here on vigilance and doing one’a homework.

Jun 13, 2018
You might want to look at www.sailingtexas.com under the Boats for sale, Catalina Capri listings. I note there is an 88 Cat 27 for sale in your neck of the woods and see several Cat 25's
Thanks for this. I’d heard of Sailing Texas but never looked closely. Only been looking on Craigslist and Facebook. That C-27 is enticing and very near me, but my wetslip limits me and I really need as little draft as I can get by with given the water around my place.

Jun 13, 2018
Hello folks, see the attached doc for the highlights of the survey and the issue I mentioned yesterday. Value (with repairs made) was put at $3500. I'm sure your opinions still stand but here it is. Enjoy the reading . . .

Attachments

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I'm sure your opinions still stand but here it is.
Yes, nothing much has changed.
Thanks for the reference. I’ll spend some time reading and looking there.
These are THE folks who should see this, because they, much more than those of us on this great forum, have BTDT. Why? Because they ALL OWN C25s. I used to own one...:) But it was a FK.
They'd be able to tell you whether the fix ideas are proper, whether the cost is reasonable and if the valuation makes sense.
Good luck.

Jun 13, 2018
Yes, nothing much has changed.

These are THE folks who should see this, because they, much more than those of us on this great forum, have BTDT. Why? Because they ALL OWN C25s. I used to own one...:) But it was a FK.
They'd be able to tell you whether the fix ideas are proper, whether the cost is reasonable and if the valuation makes sense.
Good luck.
Thanks, Stu. I gave a hard pass on this boat. I’ll head over to that forum and start getting some wisdom.