Commissioning tasks and ongoing improvements of a 83 Cat 22 from trailer to saltwatercamper

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
So decided to try a electric trolling motor on my Sea Eagle inflatable dinghy. Weeel in Florida that is a motorboat so I had to go get it registered and titled. Not so fast , had manufacture source document but had to call the company and have them mail me a original bill of sale. Was 499 on line but once got done , cost 72 bucks to title, pay taxes, and register for 2 years. All good right, weeel you got to display the numbers and tax decal on the boat. So repurposed a piece of vinyl wall edging from Lowes. Set me back 2.83 plus tax , but its white vinyl, 1/8 of inch thick and flexible just tall enough to put numbers and tax decal on. Add some grommets to hang it on side ropes with and ta da. Pictures of project posted below.
2018_0607_141949_001.JPG
20180605_163014.jpg
20180606_143512.jpg
20180606_152440.jpg

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
wow-- well done, and a bit of a PITA for an inflatable. Luckily my new dink from West Marine does not tip the scale at the DOL, so a bit luckier in WA. But-- try and get registration and a plate on an original Trail Rite that was never titled in the state? 2 years and at least 5 physical trips to the DOL later... sheez.

Sep 14, 2014
Hey someday I will tell you why my inscribed HIN cannot be added to my title with its invented HIN because the boat was once bought and sold in Alabama which does not issue titles for boats or trailers. Caveat emptor in crimson tide land!

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Funny timing! I registered our dink for the first time a year ago, but only last week when I renewed it did I get around to thinking about actually applying numbers and the decal. It's an old Avon, and doesn't have a rope around the bow, so I don't have the option of doing a placard the way you did. That's clearly the best way to go.

I stuck the sticker on the side of the motor - the ONLY place it could possibly be applied. And I'm going to try stenciling the numbers on with spray paint.

Of course, now that I'm TRYING to do the right thing and be as legal as possible, I'll probably attract the attention of the po po and get myself ticketed. :angry:

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
I have to apply the boat reg numbers with a -1 added to indicate tender of.... looks like I have to figure out the same... hoping for transom.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
try and get registration and a plate on an original Trail Rite that was never titled in the state? 2 years and at least 5 physical trips to the DOL later... sheez.

Ugh... I just told them my trailer was Homebuilt... no hassle...no vin needed... just a bill of sale listing it with the boat.
(good thing. It "looks" professional, but builder plate, if it ever existed, was gone decades ago. I'd hate to deal with getting a VIN etc. like it was a motor vehicle.)

Pleasure craft licence only needed if motor is over 10hp.. so technically our C22 doesn't need it.
I got one anyhow, to make it easier for SAR, and cross border travel... It's Free.. renew every 10 years.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2014
Back a while ago was cleaning out the lined port-side lazarette in my 83 that extends up to back of port-side dinette seat in cabin. I noted a little bit of standing water at the very forward end and a little algae too. I decided it would be nice to have a way to drain the space into the common "bilge" of cat 22 or at least near the battery box and volcano where my bilge pump could remove soapy dirty rinse water too. So I drilled a small hole just big enough for a 3/4" pvc fitting with a screw on cap on it to close it off when not in use. First pic is inside lazarette and second in "bilge" area.
Limber hole for portside (2).jpg
Limber hole for portside (1).jpg

Sep 14, 2014
Also check alternate thread
Assortment of cheap fixes on Cat 22
for more neat stuff at low cost, easy peasy installs.

Sep 14, 2014
Will explain the little remote in the last post on assorted cheap fixes on Cat 22 later, little teaser there!

Sep 14, 2014
So go check out the LED stick up lites in the assorted cheap fixes on Cat 22 thread, you know you want to..

Sep 14, 2014
Probably will do ok, only get up to a knot paddling or on trolling motor and maybe 5+ towing it under sail or power. Otherwise in bag deflated along with dinghy.
New Sea Eagle dinghy assembly (4).JPG

Sep 14, 2014
Well its hurricane season on the gulf coast. Just got back from doubling the lines to floating dock, and wrapping some line around the mainsail cover and yankee bag. Now we wait, wind to be minor, but storm surge will be 2 - 4 feet, was up 1.5 ft already and storm is 8 hours away. To be cat 1 hurricane when arrives this evening and will go to Mobile or Texas we hope. Updates to be posted .

Sep 14, 2014
Just a reminder, I just got done doing my yearly check of all electrical connections being mechanically and electrically sound, even checked a few connections on bus bars to ensure battery voltage arrives and leaves there like it is supposed to. Also I put a fresh dollop (technical term) of dielectric grease on each terminal including the main battery terminals.

Sep 14, 2014
Oh another reminder, been a hot summer here, so I checked the water level in the battery, my new group 27 actually has removable cell covers, the previous one was sealed up . Just a thought, mine was fine but you never know and it is one the ways to kill a battery.

Sep 14, 2014
Well this is about a different vessel I have visited in its heyday in downtown Honolulu which sad to say is on its last legs due to funding issues. Still pretty awesome though as i saw it last week.
Hawaii 2018  (68).JPG

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
That is one heck of a houseboat! What's with the mast-thingys, what are they for?