Intermittent start problems

Mar 27, 2016
Catalina 30 Hingham
Hi I have 1989 Catalina 30 with a universal m25xp with the 3 position key ignition and start button. Every once in a while I go to start it I get no cranking. Other times it starts right up and engine runs fine. Could the be a bad start button or ignition switch ? Or maybe just a lose connection? Or something else ? Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Make sure the push connector on starter solenoid is tight, the fuse holder is in good shape.

I had this problem and it turned out to be a bad cable between switch and starter. After analyzing the circuit it is some what marginal so I put a relay in to eliminate line losses.

Les

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Last edited:

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
I had that problem on an engine; it turned out to be a bad starter solenoid. Check on Youtube; there are many videos describing how to determine which components of a motor starting system are good and which one is the culprit. It's not difficult once you know how. You'll need a multi-meter, preferably with alligator clip leads.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Have fun on the boat. Let us know how you make out with the tasks.

May 20, 2016
Also if the fuse holder turns out to be the problem - don’t replace it - toss it in the trash it really does nothing. If you want to have a fuse move it to the power (red) coming off the starter lug going up to your panel. 15-20A would be good.

Les

Aug 8, 2009
Catalina 30 MkII Forked River, NJ
I had the same problem. Mine would always start when cold and then give me trouble when I tried to restart it after sailing, I bypassed the fuse holder, with a new wire, replaced the starter and the glow plug relay all to no lasting effect. I finally came across a wiring diagram for a late model C30 which showed the line to the starter coming off the run terminal on the switch rather than the glow plug terminal. This made sense, why try to start the engine while powering the glow plugs? I changed the wiring and now I turn the switch to the glow plug position for a time, let the switch return to the run position and push the start button. It's been two years now and I've never had the problem again.

Mar 27, 2016
Catalina 30 Hingham
Thanks everyone for your help I cleaned up the connections. Seemed to help although it being intermittent it's hard to tell . I'm going to replace the fuse but can't tell amps of it.does anyone know Off hand ?

Oct 22, 2014
if the fuse holder turns out to be the problem - don’t replace it - toss it in the trash it really does nothing. If you want to have a fuse move it to the power (red) coming off the starter lug going up to your panel. 15-20A would be good.
@ChrisCall I think this addresses your question. Fuses are placed to protect the wires from over heating and cause a fire. You want them near the power source. This is why Les indicates removing the fuse holder where you are finding it and placing it where it is with in 7 inches of the power source (battery).
Les knows electrical.

May 20, 2016
@ChrisCall This is why Les indicates removing the fuse holder where you are finding it and placing it where it is with in 7 inches of the power source (battery).
Les knows electrical.
That should be of the power stud on the starter(not Battery) And you can’t do that until you do the glowplug relay. That fuse only protects the starter selonoid wire. The selonoid pulls ~35A for a second then 12A while cranking. I’d put a 15A slow blow if you leave it where it is.

Les

Jul 30, 2014
catalina 30 mkII Tall Rig bay city
The first thing I would do is clean your batter cables and post. I had a problem when I put my boat in this year and that was all it was.

Jul 30, 2014
catalina 30 mkII Tall Rig bay city
I had purchased two new batteries during the winter and my third was still in good shape. When we lowered the boat in the water I turned the key on, pushed the start button and absolutely nothing. I was on a waiting list to have a mechanic look at it, I got tired of waiting so I started with the cables and that was the whole problem.

Oct 22, 2014
I was on a waiting list to have a mechanic look at it, I got tired of waiting so I started with the cables and that was the whole problem.
Again Necessity proves to be the mother of invention.
Way to go. Fair winds and fun sailing.

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
Also if the fuse holder turns out to be the problem - don’t replace it - toss it in the trash it really does nothing. If you want to have a fuse move it to the power (red) coming off the starter lug going up to your panel. 15-20A would be good.

Les
The OEM fuse is problematic, but there should be a fuse there. If the solenoid goes bad and you have a locked condition, it's like a locked rotor on a pump. It will fry the wiring all the way back to the "B" terminal of the starter solenoid. In other words, a complete round trip. There are accounts and pix on the net of the outcome of that happening and it isn't pretty. To avoid issues there, prepare a pigtail with an uninsulated female quick connect on a 10 awg weathertight AGC fuse holder, and a watertight quick connect on the other end. Carefully solder the uninsulated quick connect to the solenoid "S" terminal so it never comes loose and falls off, heat shrink over it all. Then the other end w/ the weathertight quick connect to your harness "S" wire can be used for troubleshooting, or to remote start the solenoid if needed.

Take a 10 awg AGC weathertight fuse holder, crimp a #8 x M8 LUG (NOT ring terminal) on one end, butt crimp on the other end. (Fold the bare 10 awg in half and it's perfect diameter for a #8 LUG.) Put in on the "B" terminal, and crimp the butt end to your red power wire to the panel.
NOW you have an ABYC=compliant harness that is NO LONGER a fire hazard because it's unfused.