Mid-Boat Cleats

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
doesn't have bow chocks installed. IMHO, those chocks are the must for the swing mooring, otherwise the lines going over the gunwales are sure to damage gel-coat. Please, chime in with your opinions, whether you have those chocks installed, and any other recommendations.
I've always thought of chocks as being like line cutters only with slightly rounded edges. I find them dangerous. My boat is 32 years old, I've had her for 20. There is NO gel coat damage from using our bow & stern cleats in our slips or when traveling in all these years. Our cleats are in similar positions to those on a C310.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
My boat is 32 years old, I've had her for 20. There is NO gel coat damage from using our bow & stern cleats in our slips or when traveling in all these years.
Now this is exactly the type of real-world practical information that I come here for. Thanks @Stu Jackson for information that I can use, and saves me years of experimenting!

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
We use a midship cleat coming into the dock on the port side, First Mate/Wife grabs the breast line and attaches it to the midship cleat than I get the stern line and attach it, I can than power up to bring the bow to the port so First Mate/Wife can get the port side bow line and attach that, I ease the throttle back and kill the engine, Bow swings to Starboard and First mate/Wife gets starboard dock line and attaches that and we are done!...
All that simple-Well most of the time,, :):biggrin::yikes:

Mar 28, 2018
Catalina 310, hull #315 Toronto
So, since we've talked about the mooring lines - can someone share the specs for theirs? I am thinking double braided nylon, either 1/2" or 5/8", thimble in the eye for the mooring ball side where the shackle goes, but what about the length? 7'?

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I've always thought of chocks as being like line cutters only with slightly rounded edges. I find them dangerous. My boat is 32 years old, I've had her for 20. There is NO gel coat damage from using our bow & stern cleats in our slips or when traveling in all these years. Our cleats are in similar positions to those on a C310.
On the H31 the cleats are right on the rail, no chance to chafe.

Anchors.jpg

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
... the mooring lines - can someone share the specs for theirs? I am thinking double braided nylon, either 1/2" or 5/8", ...
I'm a 'slip' person, but I am curious about this answer. I would think that the line from mooring ball to eye would be similar to the specifications for an all-chain anchor rode with snubber. Since three-strand nylon gives much more stretch, I would think that it would be better than double-braid between chain and boat. Please, enlighten me sailors that are on the ball!

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I've always thought of chocks as being like line cutters only with slightly rounded edges. I find them dangerous.
That's a weird point of view, I must say. Maybe it's related to the type of boat? If you have teak toe rails, you absolutely need chocks, or you will quickly ruing the wood, unless, perhaps, if you fit metal anti-chafing strips.

This one is very smooth, nicely made, forged bronze that's chrome plated. It also holds the mooring line in. There was only this one, to port, so I bought one for the starboard side, too, as we are moored via a bridle to the mooring chain.

Chocks have been around as long as boats! Yes, avoid sharp ones (duh!).

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I'm a 'slip' person, but I am curious about this answer. I would think that the line from mooring ball to eye would be similar to the specifications for an all-chain anchor rode with snubber. Since three-strand nylon gives much more stretch, I would think that it would be better than double-braid between chain and boat. Please, enlighten me sailors that are on the ball!
It's up to the person who maintains the mooring, in my case, my marina. I don't own the mooring, I rent it. But same one for 18 years. Ours is a bridle, and I think 3/4" nylon three-strand (it's certainly nylon three strand, just not sure of the diameter - but it's big).

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Here's the two kinds of chocks I have. Top is as before, the mooring chock. The lower one is more for a dock line, nice rollers to preserve the line, but too small for big mooring lines.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I use 9/16 braided nylon rope for my dock lines. I find the while the rope is a bit larger than used by most of the boats docked near me, I have weathered several strong winter storms and not had any trouble with my lines. Braided nylon gives me about 15% stretch (elongation) yet has a good feel, is protected from chafe due to the braided cover, and has a 25% higher tensile strength (at about 11,000 lbs) than 3 strand of the same diameter at about 7500 lbs.