Pulpit on a C30?

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Is the same pulpit used on a standard rig as on a tall rig?

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
Is the same pulpit used on a standard rig as on a tall rig?
why is there a seeming reluctance on this site to call catalina yachts with questions intead of relying in anonymous advice?

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
No reluctance. The CY guy is off on Fridays and I thought someone here would know and I would get an answer before Monday.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Thanks Ted. That pulpit looks like the offering from Catalina Direct. Even the description looks the same.
Looking at the photos on that site and photos of my boats rail, the length in front of the forward vertical rail looks about half of the length on my boat. The cad drawings do not show that measurement.
I'll keep that site bookmarked.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Ward H why not ask. You may find an answer when the “experts “ who sometimes are recently employed, may not be available or may not know.
Doesn’t mean when they get back to work you don’t give them a call. Trust but verify. A reasonable strategy.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
@Calif. Ted , @jssailem , @Joe Thanks for the help.
CD, Ted's link, Joe's link and photos of the pulpit rpell1 has for sale all look the same. Joe's link is the most telling because it calls out the difference for the bow sprit option as the removal of the lower rail but the upper rail does not extend beyond the bow sprit.
I'm asking because my pulpit extends several inches past the bow sprit. The length of the rail from the forward vertical support to the bow light mount appears to be more than double length than the pulpit in all the photos and links posted.

If that is the only pulpit made for the C30, I guess my next question would be this: Is it better to have the bow pulpit protect the bow sprit or the bow sprit protect the bow pulpit?

Here's the back story.
When I bought the C30 I knew the front rail had a little droop in it. Looked like someone too heavy sat on it. Didn't bother me.
Thursday I was practicing going into my slip and I got a bullseye on a piling. More droop and a shift to the port with a kink.
The aft attachment plates both have 1/3 of the plate bent up a little and pulled a machine screw out of the embedded backing plate. No fiberglass damage and I can always drill and tap a new hole.

I can live with it for now and wouldn't want to replace it now anyway until I get more experience docking.
rpell1 has a pulpit for sale and I am trying to decide to either buy it despite it being shorter or wait to off season and have someone try to repair my current one.

Oct 22, 2014
I was practicing going into my slip and I got a bullseye on a piling.
Boy I know that experience. First time out with my boat,:) I was in tight quarters:( There was a fresh breeze blowing the boat.:confused: I was trying to learn the nuances of the boat, motor, and effect of wind on free-board, of which my boat has ample. Compound the new skipper had a novice crew.:yikes: Well meaning but not proficient with the boat hook nor recognizing the danger of impending impact. :(Yes I kissed the piling a wee bit.:banghead: I watched the pulpit get the push and then spring back. :kick:When I got the boat secure in her berth I went forward and inspected the damage. Mostly ok.:redface: The inspection revealed that the pulpit had received a bit of damage from the previous use of the anchor and chain, as well as the same type of spring off the piling I had accomplished. (there were marks)
So when in the yard this past winter for repairs I had all new steel made. Now very pretty.:yeah:
No more piling springing, I Hope..:cool:.
Only way to keep the boat pristine..... Keep it tied to the dock and have someone come down and detail it once a week.:laugh:

Ward, I suspect you cannot build a pulpit strong enough to protect your bowsprit. Your going to have to accommodate the sprit in how you maneuver the boat. They way they are made, attached to the deck and extended into the space beyond the deck, they are mostly ornamental. They do provide some aide in they are something to grab, but placing all your weight on a pulpit while loosing your footing on the deck as the boat is bucking in 6 foot seas does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling. The pulpit will try but eventually lose the struggle.

Dec 28, 2014
Catalina 30 TRBS Long Beach Harbor (MS)
After Hurricane Katrina, I ordered a new bow pulpit from Railmakers (Catalina OE supplier) for my 1986 C30TR. Their part number was 29044 for about $410 + $200 shipping to Gulf Coast (2005 prices). I think your Mk II would use the same pulpit but not sure. You can give them a call at 949.642.8506...good people to work with. They even fabricated a custom stern pulpit for me with seats.

Dec 28, 2014
Catalina 30 TRBS Long Beach Harbor (MS)
Here ya go (with Captain Outrageous at the helm).
Sorry Ward, we highjacked you thread and moved to the stern...I’ll let you get it back on track.
upload_2018-6-16_15-58-20.jpeg

Oct 22, 2014
I have a temp piece of varnished plywood on one of the seats. Trying to decide how to design the seat. Do you have starboard? Something you made?
I have found they are one of th best seats in on the boat when cruising. Perhaps a cushion will be in order, but the plywood seat was very comfortable and afforded excellent visual of the boat and the water for log and crab pot avoidance.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
I don't look at it as a thread hijack. You'r just helping me spend my boat budget in case I ran out of stuff to buy.:biggrin:
Those stern seats look neat. If I ever need to replace the stern railings I'll add them. In the mean time I added the Zarcor perch seats. Not as clean as built in but I've been putting them to good use.
@jssailem The Zarcor seats are made out of starboard. If I was building my own that is what I would use.
@saltydawg.l I like the mods shown in that photo. I just ordered a Life Sling and a Magma Grill just arrived. I have a Sailrite Machine so will be busy making covers.

Back on subject:
Only way to keep the boat pristine..... Keep it tied to the dock and have someone come down and detail it once a week.:laugh:
That's the good thing about buying a used boat with some dings and scratches. One more doesn't hurt as much.

Actually I wasn't upset about hitting the piling because I had just done some great sailing in some crazy wind ( I was getting a lesson in high wind handling and docking of the C30) AND if I missed the piling I probably would have hit my buddy's Hunter 31. I told him when I realized I missed the turn I aimed for the piling to avoid his boat.;) Crap happens.

Today I had a chance to look at a 89 C30 TR w/Sprit. The top rail is about 6" shorter than the rail on mine. It looks like most were made that way so maybe mine was custom?
So, I contacted rpell1 and bought the pulpit he salvaged from his dropped boat.

Thanks Everyone,

Last edited: