Photoday!! A tender for life?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
It's looking like it. I had to replace one thwart and the rub rail this spring on our Nutshell 9'6" sailing dinghy. It's the second rub rail. This stuff is typical here on the coast of Maine. I pick it up at Hamilton Marine, our local marine supply. It's pricey! It costs about $150 to go around the dinghy. The last time I did this, seems it was closer to $100. But it's an excellent rubrail for a hard dink and will last longer than a decade under hard use (which we give it).

EVE new fender.jpg

I built this Nutshell when our children were about 2 and 3. By that time they sailed to the Bahamas with us on a previous 28'er, I had a hunch they wouldn't really 'get' sailing, until they sailed a small boat, themselves. And secretly, although my wife had already sailed from Vermont to the Bahamas, she too would never really feel sailing, until she sailed a small boat, herself.

This proved to be right! Going through old 35mm shots, I found pics of the kids sailing themselves when the Nutshell was about 4 or 5 years old.

No real instruction from me (I'm not real good at that), our son, who sat for a few years in the dinghy sailing, picked up what he needed, just by watching. Here he is in his pajamas sailing away, someplace we have been. We'd just let them go off the rail of our Cape Dory 28, and keep an eye on them. Because the Nutshell is beamy, it's impossible for a kid to capsize this boat.
Eve vingette.jpg

Our daughter, older but always a bit more cautious than her younger brother, was out at the same time (also in pajamas). She looked to me more for guidance on how to do it. I remember because she was nearly always looking at me as she sailed. Smart. I'd give her hand signals that only the two of us understood. That answered her questions.
Eve vingette-2.jpg
And even Mary Ann, who never sailed until our first date years ago, occasionally gets in the Nutshell and delights in sailing the way she wants to.
Pea Eve (1 of 1).jpg

This year I realized the kids usually paint the dinghy each spring for me. I really appreciated that as I had to fit that task in, myself this season.

The kids are living on their own these days, but they still sail the tender when home. This was MJ just a few years ago sailing in Cuttyhunk Pond. She obviously likes to sail.
MJ Tommy dinghy sailing cuttyhunk crop (1 of 1).jpg

So yes, on it's second boat, 25 years old, it looks like a tender for life.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Got this one at a yard sail years before we owned our sailboat. Three different engines for it. 1953 Evinrude YachTwin 3, 1974 Evinrude Mate 2, and 1976 Evinrude Fisherman 6. We use the Mate 2 most of the time as it is easiest to load and unload off of the sailboat.
dinghy w evinrude 3.jpg

Dingy.jpg 2016-04-10 14.28.27.jpg 2016-05-15 19.12.20.jpg

It doesn't sail, but has been bulletproof so far.

Here I am with it at a local cruise event and a raftup.
2017-02-12 Stargazer.jpg 2018-03-04 07.22.57.jpg

Last edited:

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
This one may not be for life but I've had it about 18 years and it is still going strong with no more maintenance than the occasional cleaning. Not bad for a piece of plastic.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
my wife had already sailed from Vermont to the Bahamas,
What route did she take, Saint Laurence or the Mississippi? I suppose you could take the Hudson River from NY.
What an adventure that would be, any way you went.
My opti was the family tender until we sailed to Maine. We needed something with oars if we were actually going to be on a mooring.

- Will (Dragonfly)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
What route did she take, Saint Laurence or the Mississippi? I suppose you could take the Hudson River from NY.
What an adventure that would be, any way you went.
My opti was the family tender until we sailed to Maine. We needed something with oars if we were actually going to be on a mooring.

- Will (Dragonfly)
You can drop your mast and take the Lake Champlain Barge Canal right out of the southern end of the lake. It joins the Hudson in Troy NY (I think) and you step your mast in that area.

It's all a pretty trip, narrow cow lined farm waterways to broad water areas, that takes a short week to travel. There are many locks on the canal. Traffic is light.

It's pretty amazing as the Hudson quickly changes from a pastoral broad river, then suddenly, you're in the biggest city in the world. I've done it several times and recall, one friday night with just a friend onboard, coming down the Hudson with bright Manhattan on the port side, New Jersey on starboard, the Statue of Liberty ahead.

It was a friday night, about 6 pm. Happy Hour in the Big Apple, yet we were the only boat traffic at that point.

I remember the strange feeling of being alone on a small boat in that stretch of the enormous Hudson River, deep in a chasm amongst skyscrapers and millions of people.

We cracked a couple beers and toasted everyone on shore. They didn't know we existed.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Looks just like our Walker Bay?
Yes, it's Walker Bay 8. It rows remarkably well with just one person. It loads up quick with anyone else but still gets around. I've had as many as 5 in it (2 adults, 3 kids) but that gets a bit sketchy in any more than a flat calm, over a short distance.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
We like ours as well, though you are right, 2 people and the already limited freeboard starts disappearing fast.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
We have the sail kit, but not the collar. It's about 4 times what we paid for the boat and the sail kit combined ($250).

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
I know this boat builder. He's a very experienced boatbuilder, in a multi generational boat building family business. He's a passionate sailor and rower, and owns several small boats, he's built or restored. He uses them all.

He's built beautiful plank and frame Whitehalls for effortless rowing, sailing dinghy's (Shellback, a faster Nutshell cousin), that I see him sailing on the harbor with his dog and children aboard.

He's very busy with 'business' and a young family. So he needed a boat for quick escapes. Simple for him: restore an old wooden lobster fishing boat into a family overnighter.

This boat builder, when he needs a tender, he just builds it. Something light to throw onto the lobster boat, that an adult and child can explore around the anchorage.

Spare Time. He doesn't have too much of that, but this boat will be handy, for now.

Spare Time.jpg

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I had a hunch they wouldn't really 'get' sailing, until they sailed a small boat, themselves. And secretly, although my wife had already sailed from Vermont to the Bahamas, she too would never really feel sailing, until she sailed a small boat, herself.
This is THE thing. Especially with Seadoos/JetSkis around.
A small stable Dinghy is the bee's knees to get people interested and remove the fear.
My wife hated sailing until she got to sail a Hobie 16. She "got" it ever since.

BTW: Tom. I finally picked up my reserved copy of Good Old Boat at the bookstore. When I saw the cover I suspected it was your Alden... Yup. Congrats.