A Fun Week Ahead

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I have a fun week coming up next week. A friend who sails with me at least in the Annual Harvest Moon Regatta and several other times a year is bringing his ten year old son to sailing camp at the Houston Yacht Club. My friend lives in North Texas and lives near two lakes. We have had a 1968 Dolphin Sr. in our family since 1972. I have purchased a new sail for it, put a new axle and tires on the trailer, rewired it, waxed it up and refinished the tiller. Sometime next week (with his parents permission) I am going to gift the boat (and trailer) to the ten year old boy. It's like Christmas and I get to be Santa! Here are a few pics of the boat. I was testing an old fiberglass repair job on the bottom to ensure it was not taking on water. Can't gift a leaky boat. I'm super stoked about this!

54940007739__3B45936E-F4D5-4DFB-A845-CCC76A4F56F1.JPG
IMG_4336.jpg

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Super boats for youngsters. Or adults either. I have two here, neither functional. Used to race the now defunct Dolphin Sr Nationals often at Lake Conroe, but our club here had monthly races In the bay. Much more comfortable boat than a sunfish, and can easily sail two

As an aside, the first time I was ever on a sailboat was at the Houston Yacht Club, in 1957- a plywood Penguin :)

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Mike, this is SUCH a great thing! I am as stoked as you are. I hope it lights a fire.

This is just another example of how generous you are - something I already knew firsthand, and from others. Rock on man.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
You’re a good man. Yes, hopefully this gift will turn this young boy on to a lifetime passion for sailing.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
What a great boat! Where were they made? Ask the lucky boy if he'll deliver to nj when he's ready to move up.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
What a great boat! Where were they made? Ask the lucky boy if he'll deliver to nj when he's ready to move up.
This boat was designed and built in the Kemah/ Baytown Texas area in the sixties. My understanding is that it was designed to be bigger and faster than the Sunfish. Coincidentally, as I understand it, my sailmaker’s step father is the one who designed it and built it. It is a fun boat to sail. I like sailing it even today.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
This is just another example of how generous you are - something I already knew firsthand, and from others.
Now we all know.
Fantastic gift. What a great position to be in, to be able to make that gift for the lucky boy. Bravo :clap:

While it is nothing like the 18'-19' boat my father owned, the styling reminds me of the first sailboat I can ever remember sailing on. I think it was an American or a Venture, but it had that same paint scheme.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Frigging fantastic in so many ways !
I'm glad there are still people like yourself, who still do things like this, and I'd love to see his reaction when you give him the boat. This is how life long memories begin. Good on ya sir !

Edit: Take some video of the event and post it on youtube so we can see ?

Hehe I'm heading off to work and I can't stop smiling

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Great idea. Lucky boy, and father (some hopefully some gear bonding time coming).
This is real “Paying it Forward “ thinking.
I salute you.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Too Sweet. I am sure he will enjoy the hell out of it. Getting a boat while your young is a great way for a kid to gain confidence and an adventurous spirit. My younger brother and I had many adventures on our first boat, even just exploring our local lake.
2016-04-16 17.19.54.jpg

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Great job Mike. You’re a good man and glad you made a younger sailors day. Hope he has plenty of good sailing days on the lake. He just needs to join the forum and post pics, haha!