Rules question: what if you touch a bridge that is a mark on a course?

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I’d say screw the race if I could decide between being legal and not destroying my boat.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
First, no protest was lodged so no way to know what the local PC would have thought of this.

But I'm in the 'no spin' camp. The RRS define a 'mark', and clearly a bridge cannot be one, at least not technically. The SIs call the list 'marks of the course', but then confusingly list the 5 as 'marks or passage'. So if it cannot technically be a mark, it must be a passage. Therefore my logic says that unless you bust some other rule (like propulsion) you are probably OK on RSS31. RRS42.3(h) is worded funny. It allows you to get clear by pushing off, but only after a colliding. Net-net, bet the OC cleans that rule up for next year.
Too bad no boat protested just to test the definition. On the other hand, after the crew struggled to save their boat, it would have taken a real (something) to protest them.....:(

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Do the rules differentiate between a boat and a person? The boat can't touch, but does that also mean crew?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Do the rules differentiate between a boat and a person? The boat can't touch, but does that also mean crew?
No difference. A boat is defined as both the "sailboat and crew onboard". The rule about touching a mark applies to the "boat", so that's everything.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
It seems odd that they’d be that close to the obstacle to leeward. There’s potentially lots to break possibly hanging outside the rub rail, never mind any possible gelcoat damaging hazards below the waterline.
What if there were a nice piece of rebar sticking out of the concrete waiting for your nice Mylar main to get hooked up to.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Honestly, using a bridge for a mark in light winds in a tidal area boarders on poor seamanship by the RC. What with swirling (or no winds) and tides it strikes me as lazy course setting. Let them do the spin.

Apr 11, 2012
Cataina 400 MK II Santa Cruz
If the crew is a part of the boat, then the act of pushing off is itself a collision. So it would seem that pushing off is "after a collision" and allowed under the rules.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Honestly, using a bridge for a mark in light winds in a tidal area boarders on poor seamanship by the RC. What with swirling (or no winds) and tides it strikes me as lazy course setting. Let them do the spin.
Bridges, cuts, and marked passages have long been used as 'marks' in races, even if in fact they cannot be 'marks' per si. The SIs here (and in most others) allow for motor use within 2 boat lengths of the passages, 4kts max and no passing.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Bridges, cuts, and marked passages have long been used as 'marks' in races, even if in fact they cannot be 'marks' per si. The SIs here (and in most others) allow for motor use within 2 boat lengths of the passages, 4kts max and no passing.
That makes sense, though it looks like they tried it without the motor.

I'm sure it also depends on the bridge. In some places that would be a hazard to navigation for other users.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Can they do the pena
The SIs here (and in most others) allow for motor use within 2 boat lengths of the passages, 4kts max and no passing.
Can you do the penalty turn within 2 boat lengths of the passage? The rules say your spin must be immediate :)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Can they do the pena
Can you do the penalty turn within 2 boat lengths of the passage? The rules say your spin must be immediate :)
Actually the rule says: RRS44.2

'After getting well clear of other boats and as soon after the incident as possible'