2018 Sun Gypsy cruise

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Funny :laugh:

I was editing while you were responding. Now I know how fast a post goes out. There is no correction time like my online classes had. Good to know.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
:clap:So we are to guess that you wanted to make the edit before your lady saw the text over your shoulder...:banghead: Now it is out there.:yikes:
Guess there will be fewer events of "Ever once in a while" ...:poke:

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Every once in a while, the captain doesn't get overruled by the admiral.
Hi Will, what is it with these admirals. When out solo, do pretty much what the skipper wants. Admiral comes aboard and:
o Its cold in here, can we turn the furnace on?
o I'm freezing.
o Tipping too much. Honey, its only ten degrees.
o Why can't we just drop the sails and motor?
o Are we there yet?
o Why don't we anchor over there?
o Did you bring the...?
o These crackers taste old.
o Did you know the expiration date on these medicines was 2008?

Sheesh. How did we ever survive without them?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Terry,
I think you are getting the admiral confused with a teenager. My admiral is the one who brings the crackers so she doesn't complain to the captain about them being old. However, she won't eat them if they are old. My teenagers, gone now, about 5 years, would complain about them but still eat them.

- Will (don't let the admiral read this thread - EVER!, Dragonfly)

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Discussion onboard Sun Gypsy the last couple of days. Will this be the year we finally brave Nakwakto Rapids and explore Seymour and Belize Inlets? We both want to go but there is the pucker factor of rapids capable of twice our hull speed.

Dec 25, 2000
We both want to go but there is the pucker factor of rapids capable of twice our hull speed.
Ports and Passes has the slack water time for transiting the rapids. Very short, but that would be the safest time. Would never want to do it at any other time. Just say'n. Please let us know the outcome if you decide to make it.

Jan 5, 2017
Believe me Terry it will all be here with pictures. Have the chart and Ports and Passes and I know to go at slack, but there is still a bit of pucker factor in there. I think we have pretty much decided to give it a go.

Dec 25, 2000
I think we have pretty much decided to give it a go.
Great. As I recall the slack interval is but a few minutes, so hope that works out for you. We've had that on our sail plan for a few years now, someday, hopefully. And the pucker factor certainly understandable.

Jan 5, 2017
I'm sure it's all in my head and it will turn out like all the other rapids. It's just the big numbers that get to me although I only see 14.2 kts for July.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
F423093A-6F8C-4DFB-AD29-5E0D2F82B4B7.jpeg Resorting at Rosario. Second shakedown cruise for engine and saildrive. Changed oil in saildrive and no more sputtering out the vent. oil that I pumped out was full of some kind of grease which I think was put on gears etc as a corrosion inhibitor. I think we’re good to go!

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Well that is great news.Kind of like Cosmoline in a service weapon.

How was Rosario?

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Still here..three or four boats each dock. Obviously, not prime time yet..going to catch a recip in West Sound tomorrow and maybe Deer Harbor on Sat. A lot of motoring around so I can get through my first oil change before taking off....

Dec 25, 2000
How was Rosario?
Wow. Nice stop, but moorage there probably similar to Roche. For me, having so much trouble trying to squeeze a nickel out of my hiney, the thought of Rosario moorage, well...