Attaching the boom leads to more questions...

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
We've been using Tom's "external tethered" gates for quite some time. We love them, they are flawless. At first I was suspicious of the plastic rivets and thin shock cord, but the suspicion wore off as the years went by.

And you will never do business with a better man than Tom Luque.

Nice. I was just about to make something like that for a friend's boat. Buying it will be much easier than tooling up for a one off. Thank you for posting.

Mar 23, 2018
Catalina 22 12491 Lake Charlevoix
All of the ones on the boom that you have ? on are for your two line reefing system. One end of a small line attaches to the eye strap on the port side, then runs up through the reef clew on the sail, then down through the cheek block on the starbord side, forward through the eye strap, and ties off at the cleat. The eye strap in your last pic is also for the reefing system. There should be a cleat right across from it on the other side of the mast. One end of the line attaches to the eye, runs up through the reef tack on the sail, then down to the cleat.
@Jacomo Sailor I'm pretty sure you are correct. I did some googling of "two line reefing system", and for the most part it seems to match what I have. The only thing that does not line up is the extra cleat on the mast. There is a cleat on the other side of the mast but it "SEEMS" to be for the actual topping lift, which I think is used for the spinnaker. It look just like the spinnaker halyard, but it only goes up to a block about the height of the spreaders. The PO seems to have liked his spinnaker, so he may have stole that cleat for use with his spinnaker. There is an empty cleat at the base on the port side (same side as the eye) of the mast.
reefing system.jpg
I'm mostly convinced you are correct. One other thing, in the inner 2 or 3 grommets there are 12" sections of line knotted on each side of the grommet, to tie in the reef. Seems like these would not be here if rigged for a "two line reefing system"? But what do I know. :what::what::what:
Based on this picture from Chip Ford's site, it does seem like what I have: http://www.chipford.com/graphics/Reefing_diagram.gif
Reefing_diagram.gif
However, then I'm back to not having any sort of out-haul at all. :banghead:
reefing system 2.jpg
There is only one cleat on the boom. Doesn't the out-haul pretty much have to use that cleat?
outhaul question 3.jpg

Editted: It's not the main halyard across from the padeye. Added, image of reefing system.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018
As long as we are trying to figure out this puzzle of rigging.
How does the routing of my furling line look?
20180611_140847.jpg 20180612_190314.jpg 20180612_190336.jpg 20180612_190448.jpg 20180612_190451.jpg 20180612_190455.jpg
What could these be for? They are mounted to the starboard side of the cabin house. What would you do with these?
20180612_190353.jpg 20180612_190442.jpg 20180612_190503.jpg

Last edited:
May 24, 2018
Catalina 22 Norcal
I'm mostly convinced you are correct. One other thing, in the in
There is only one cleat on the boom. Doesn't the out-haul prener 2 or 3 grommets there are 12" sections of line knotted on each side of the grommet, to tie in the reef. Seems like these would not be here if rigged for a "two line reefing system"? But what do I know. :what::what::what:
Based on this picture from Chip Ford's site, it does seem like what I have: http://www.chipford.com/graphics/Reefing_diagram.gif
View attachment 151950
However, then I'm back to not having any sort of out-haul at all. :banghead:
View attachment 151954tty much have to use that cleat?
View attachment 151948

Editted: It's not the main halyard across from the padeye. Added, image of reefing system.
I don't think an outhaul is 'stock'. My boom sure doesn't have any provisions for one. The only hardware on the boom is the reefing cheekblock and a pad-eye on the opposite side, and then a fairlead clam cleat down forward of the block. The short lines are for tying up the slack sail when you're reefed, and they don't do anything to really secure the sail to the boom.

Mar 23, 2018
I don't think an outhaul is 'stock'. My boom sure doesn't have any provisions for one. The only hardware on the boom is the reefing cheekblock and a pad-eye on the opposite side, and then a fairlead clam cleat down forward of the block. The short lines are for tying up the slack sail when you're reefed, and they don't do anything to really secure the sail to the boom.
Well, I'm going to call this mystery solved. I believe @Jacomo Sailor & @Voiding Sounds are correct. My boat does not have an out haul. Well, except this:
Out-haul.jpg
Which I'm pretty sure the PO did use after looking at the line.

And the check block on my boom is for reefing. So, since my Jiffy Reefing line is missing what type of line should be used to rig the reefing lines? Any suggestions?
@Siren handed me this very old piece of paper a few minutes ago.
Jiffy Reefing.jpg
Thanks for the help everyone.

I'm still curious what the cam on the side of the cabin (2nd part of post #23) is for?

May 24, 2018
Catalina 22 Norcal
I'm re-rigging my boom right now (and adding an 2:1 outhaul like Stingy's latest) and I'm going to be using 1/4" double/yacht braid for my reef lines.

I'm not 100% but I would guess the fairlead and cam cleat are for a jib downhaul, just inboard instead of along the stanchions like a lot of setups. Probably vestigial though since you've got a furler.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
First: It looks like the padeye strap to which your mainsheet attaches is about to come off. I'm sure you've seen that and fixed it already? If not, it is your #1 concern in the world right now!

We don't have a "proper" outhaul either, just a cheek block on the side of the boom and a cleat about three feet forward of it, like what @Voiding Sounds described. We're happy with it though.

+1 on that cam cleat probably being part of an old jib downhaul.

We use 1/4" double braid line for reefing. Our main has two reef points, but we use the same method shown in Chip Ford's diagram you posted above. The "outhaul" cleat is on the starboard side, the reefing cleats are on the port.

One other thing, in the inner 2 or 3 grommets there are 12" sections of line knotted on each side of the grommet, to tie in the reef. Seems like these would not be here if rigged for a "two line reefing system"?
If I understand you correctly, those are just sail ties, which tie up the baggy excess canvas created when you reef the sail.

Mar 23, 2018
First: It looks like the padeye strap to which your mainsheet attaches is about to come off. I'm sure you've seen that and fixed it already? If not, it is your #1 concern in the world right now!
Yes, I did. :doh: That was HIGHLY alarming. :yikes: I don't even want to think about that ripping out. After finding that, I already checked every connection on the boom. I will go over the rest of the boat, before our first sail. Thanks for seeing and pointing that out; that would have been dangerous. :clap:
We don't have a "proper" outhaul either, just a cheek block on the side of the boom and a cleat about three feet forward of it, like what @Voiding Sounds described. We're happy with it though.
Interesting, I'm going to try it the way the PO did it. It must of worked for him. I would like to get a little time on the water before I go drilling holes in things.
+1 on that cam cleat probably being part of an old jib downhaul.
Would that be robust enough for running the main halyard to the cockpit? I would have to add a block at the base of the mast at a minimum. Or would that need something much more substantial?
We use 1/4" double braid line for reefing. Our main has two reef points, but we use the same method shown in Chip Ford's diagram you posted above. The "outhaul" cleat is on the starboard side, the reefing cleats are on the port.
I'll rig this with 1/4 double braid, and give it a try. I'm guessing it's going to get a lot of use, as the winds are often above 10kts. I've only ever reefed on a boat with a horn (and that was only once). So this will be a little different.
One other thing, in the inner 2 or 3 grommets there are 12" sections of line knotted on each side of the grommet, to tie in the reef. Seems like these would not be here if rigged for a "two line reefing system"? But what do I know. :what::what::what:
If I understand you correctly, those are just sail ties, which tie up the baggy excess canvas created when you reef the sail.
Yes, that was what I figured, as we did use them when we put in a reef on a friend's boat. I guess I'm just taking issue with the word Jiffy, maybe I just thought there would be less to it than 2 cleats and 3 sail ties. :soapbox: :biggrin: :deadhorse:

May 24, 2018
Catalina 22 Norcal
That cam cleat is probably sufficient in terms of strength for your halyards (assuming it is sized for 3/8" line), but the location is all wrong. If your halyard is on the mast you'll need at least a pair of blocks, one like you said at the base of the mast, and a second to turn the line down towards the bulkhead where the cleat would go.

Apr 1, 2016
Catalina 22 14735 Lake St Clair, MI
I second Jacktar's recommendation for a topping lift. I added one last year (Catalina Direct) and LOVE it. The pigtail can burn you if you forget to unhook it or hook it up before you douse the main.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
I second Jacktar's recommendation for a topping lift. I added one last year (Catalina Direct) and LOVE it. The pigtail can burn you if you forget to unhook it or hook it up before you douse the main.
amen, done it, first time going out!

May 24, 2018
Catalina 22 Norcal
After spending a week with C22 racers, a topping lift would just get in the way of the roach and the proper way to support a is a barney post. :waycool:

Sep 30, 2013
I'm a pigtail guy too. As a trailer sailor, I just don't want one more line to rig and un-rig.

I have forgotten to hook it up before reefing, more than once, and suffered the embarrassment of the boom falling down into the cockpit when the halyard was loosed. I have also forgotten to UNhook it, more than once, but have not been knocked down as a result ... yet. :)

My guess is, that worst-case scenario must not happen too often, or the pigtail design would have been discontinued about 14,000 boats ago.

Mar 23, 2018
... it looked like about 6" of rake at the boom, which I hiked up to 36" above the tabernacle(?). About 1 1/2" to 2" of rake at the spreaders. :clap::clap::clap: :beer:
Last night I had to loosen the backstay to get enough slack to adjust my furler (CF500). So before I put the genoa on I decided I would just double check everything first. Well, I *think* I have too much rake in the mast. I again used the main halyard to hang a weight. I have almost 8 inches of rake at the boom, and much more than 1 1/2"-2" at the spreaders.

This leads me to believe I need to tension up on my forestay??? A lot? Is that correct? I never did find any specs on tension for the forestay or backstay. The backstay is currently at 10 on my Loos PT-1, which I think is also too loose. With the furler, I'm just not sure how tight the forestay should be, and it's not going to be super easy to adjust it because of the furler.

:(:banghead:

Am I being way too analytical about this?

Last edited:
May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
I'm a pigtail guy too. As a trailer sailor, I just don't want one more line to rig and un-rig.

I have forgotten to hook it up before reefing, more than once, and suffered the embarrassment of the boom falling down into the cockpit when the halyard was loosed. I have also forgotten to UNhook it, more than once, but have not been knocked down as a result ... yet. :)

My guess is, that worst-case scenario must not happen too often, or the pigtail design would have been discontinued about 14,000 boats ago.
+ 1, In spite of the potential hazard (my stupids) I like and use it with caution. With the first stupid (main up and connected), it actually broke off the brass shackle which I replaced. Now I am super cautious with it's use. My "alternate pigtail" is the bimini top as the boom lays on it when desired, either deployed or in the stowed aft position. No topping lift needed.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
We've been using Tom's "external tethered" gates for quite some time. We love them, they are flawless. At first I was suspicious of the plastic rivets and thin shock cord, but the suspicion wore off as the years went by.

And you will never do business with a better man than Tom Luque.
My sentiments exactly, except that Tom talked me into using his internal gate.

Sep 30, 2013
Have you looked up the mast to see how much bend it has, if any.
Last night I had to loosen the backstay to get enough slack to adjust my furler (CF500). So before I put the genoa on I decided I would just double check everything first. Well, I *think* I have too much rake in the mast. I again used the main halyard to hang a weight. I have almost 8 inches of rake at the boom, and much more than 1 1/2"-2" at the spreaders.

This leads me to believe I need to tension up on my forestay??? A lot? Is that correct? I never did find any specs on tension for the forestay or backstay. The backstay is currently at 10 on my Loos PT-1, which I think is also too loose. With the furler, I'm just not sure how tight the forestay should be, and it's not going to be super easy to adjust it because of the furler.

:(:banghead:

Am I being way too analytical about this?
8" is a lot of rake. Chances are you would point quite well but experience a ton of weather helm.

I don't think you can fix it with the forestay and backstay alone, you'll probably have to get the lowers involved again. Lucky you, you get another opportunity for more practice!!

Have you looked up the mast from its base, and observed how much prebend you have? Excessive bend might be mistaken for rake when using the hanging weight.

Cliff's notes version here: In a perfect world, tension on backstay and forestay will vary according to conditions. The higher the wind, the tighter you want the forestay to be. An adjustable backstay (you may have one, I don't know) is a nice option which allows you to make this adjustment on the fly, since tightening the backstay simultaneously tightens the forestay.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
An adjustable backstay (you may have one, I don't know) is a nice option which allows you to make this adjustment on the fly, since tightening the backstay simultaneously tightens the forestay.
...being an '84, he should have the adjustable split backstay as shown below and was standard (unless the PO modified it, as some have done).

Last edited: