Starboard couch replacement

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
I have been thinking of this for a while and even saw one on yacht world once. The starboard couch is a huge waste of space. With the radius curves in each corner talking up 16" alone no adult can sleep there, the drawer underneath is ungainly and the large storage behind the backrest is totally useless. I want to pull out the couch and build a sette frame like the port side but a straight bench style. Facing the centerline would be 2 opening doors, under the seat cushion would be 2 hatch boards to offer additional access to the space below ( where the drawer is now). A new removable seat back cushion like the dinette seatbacks would allow access to the 2 existing large bins that are inaccessible now. The end result would be a horizontal flat surface of 70" vs current 56", depth of 30" vs current 22" and the large storage area behind the backrest cushions. I think the hardest part would be matching the veneers currently in the cabin. If I could incorporate the existing seat cushions that would be a bonus. Have any of you done or anticipate doing this?

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Dakno just getting the thing out would be a project in itself! Thought of this myself but never have gotten up the energy. No doubt it would take new cushion covers throughout.

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
I saw a DS on yachtworld several months ago that had done it. Look at your storage port side behind sette. The same space exist behind the starboard couch. look closely behind the backrest and you can see the 2 large oval cutouts. You also know with certainty that at some point you will have to get in there to run a line anyway. How will I match these veneers?

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Don’t know what you interior looks like, but I put a new piece of teak vaneer (old was teak vaneer) in. I practiced on some scrap pieces and experimented with various stains and levels of stain, when I was close I then added several coats of tung oil until i had good match.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Gee, even that's a new one on me: couch. I've heard kitchen, toilet, bedroom, bathroom, windows, living room, even "garage" for those of us with aft cabins that do double duty, but never couch.
Thanks for that new one! :)

Feb 6, 2008
Hunter 41 Punta Gorda
Hi guys,

The 41 AC & 41 DS offered a settee in place of the couch. I don't know what years or which was standard & which was optional. Maybe Hunter can help with the conversion?

Butch

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
I always thought the couch was a great feature of the 41 (and of the 50). I also thought of the wasted storage space behind. Have you considered perhaps mounting the couch on some type of roller so you could release a catch, roll the couch out and then get to the storage space behind?

Jun 26, 2004
Hunter 41DS Reed Point Marina
I got rid of that bayliner type couch a week after we bought the boat 12 years ago It came out in pieces.. replaced it with a proper settee with 2 large drawers under neath created lots of storage behind the back of the settee. had cushions made to match the ones around the salon table.. Built the framework out of good quality plywood and faced it all with a teak plywood to match interior wood.. way better... Latter I leaned from a hunter rep that the couch was originally made for Silverton power boat.. no wonder it looked out of place!

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Interesting I had wondered why it seemed so out of place. Thanks

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I was kidding in my last post about folks using "house" words for things on boats.

But if there really is a "couch" on a boat, could one of you skippers post a picture?

This I gotta see!!! :)

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
But if there really is a "couch" on a boat, could one of you skippers post a picture?

This I gotta see!!! :)
Never saw this before, but I think couch would be the best description for it.

Hunter 41DS couch.jpg Hunter 41DS Couch2.jpg Hunter 41DS couch 3.jpg

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Wow! Wish I had a couch! Looks like a comfortable seat. Actually I wish I had 2 easy chairs. Sailboats are great except there is not a single comfortable chair on the entire boat.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Boy that does look a bit comfy. I'm getting the urge to be a "Couch Potato". Not good on a boat.

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
Sailor5017, thats a great job. We are planning for it now as a next spring project. Thanks

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
What was the wood you used to face the finished area? What foam did you use for the cushions? I noticed that the standard fabric on the couch goes all the way around the backside of the couch top to bottom, did you reuse the fabric? Great job.