What type of rope or line can be cauterized

Jun 17, 2012
C&C 35 MKIII Manitowoc, WI
I need to purchase a few different diameters of rope or lines to be used to secure my dinghy out of the water to the transom. In the past I have purchased rope or line only to discover once it was cut burning the end did not stop the fray. So does anyone know what rope or line material can be successfully heat cauterized?

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Polyester or nylon will work. You might mess with a polypropylene floating line, I am not a fan of them.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Generally, what I do with either three strand or double braid synthetic rope to prevent it from fraying is:
1. Tight wrap the cut area with electrical tape.
2. Cut the rope in the center of the electrical tape.
3. Make a three quarter inch whip stitch up to about one eight inch from the end of the cut.
4. Use a flame to melt the very tip of the rope.

This has worked well over the years. Melting the tip alone works better with double braid than three strand, but after considerable use both will fray. Whip stitching over the electrical tape helps to stop fraying due to use or exposure to the elements.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Does nobody backsplice anymore?
For securing a dinghy to your transom, have you considered adjustable straps instead of rope? The way you wrote it, I'm guessing you aren't hanging your dinghy on davits.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Years back I did most of my lines like Joe. Sadly the whipping line has started to unravel on some of the lines so I covered the whipping with shrink tube. They appear to be very secure now.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
You can get a rope-cutting blade for a pistol-grip soldering gun. The smaller guns might have to have the 2 sockets drilled out to fit the blade piece. I tape the line, then melt-cut it through the tape. Cauterizes the tape, too.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Years back I did most of my lines like Joe. Sadly the whipping line has started to unravel on some of the lines so I covered the whipping with shrink tube.
After I whip the line with thread, I seal the whipping with Starbrite liquid line whip / sealer. It’s clear so it looks good and lasts for years. If it appears to be weathering, just re-coat.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
anything except natural fibers will burn/melt. I have used Joe's whipping in combination with a hot knife with great success.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
You can't just melt the ends of class 2 rope, covered in particular. Spectra does not melt well at all, and does so at a different temperature than polyester. The two will never adhere to each other.

I use a electric knife I got online from Walmart.com for 15 bucks; works great on Class 1 line. In all cases I put a lock stitch in the end to keep the core and cover together.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
My go-to resource for line information is APS - http://www.apsltd.com/line-resources
Click on the line, and they give you multiple factors including creep, stretch, water resilience, and MELTING!
I don't work there, just a happy customer. Not knocking our own SBO, just saying they have more info.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You can't just melt the ends of class 2 rope, covered in particular. Spectra does not melt well at all, and does so at a different temperature than polyester. The two will never adhere to each other.

I use a electric knife I got online from Walmart.com for 15 bucks; works great on Class 1 line. In all cases I put a lock stitch in the end to keep the core and cover together.
This is a good point. I have made a number of halyards and control lines with dyneema core and polyester cover. Lock stitching is mandatory and very easy. Every ten or fifteen feet is adequate. I still whip the non spliced end after lock stitching. I haven't tried the "liquid whip" products on the hybrid lines yet...

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I use a hot knife from Harbor Freight - adequate so far. But I only do simple nylon 3-strand or braided.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
This is a good point. I have made a number of halyards and control lines with dyneema core and polyester cover. Lock stitching is mandatory and very easy. Every ten or fifteen feet is adequate. I still whip the non spliced end after lock stitching. I haven't tried the "liquid whip" products on the hybrid lines yet...
Thanks for the tip. I covered a length of Dyneema which we use to pull the outboard up to the pushpit for traveling and the cover seems to stretch a little more with age. The Dyneema was a bit small and slippery so the cover makes it better on the hands and my wife can lead it to a winch so she can grind it up while I steady it from banging the boat.