Red Coolant Recommendation?

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Your water pump impellers should be compatible with your anti-freeze. This is from memory, but regular neoprene impellers are not compatible with non-toxic pink antifreeze. For that you should use nitrile impellers. Nitrile impellers are slightly more expensive but readily available. I believe nitrile can be used with either type of anti-freeze.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I have no idea what impeller you may be referring to, other than the one that is integral to the coolant circulating pump, the regular water pump on the front of the block; and that one is typically not replaced regularly, unlike the sea water impeller.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Your water pump impellers should be compatible with your anti-freeze. This is from memory, but regular neoprene impellers are not compatible with non-toxic pink antifreeze. For that you should use nitrile impellers. Nitrile impellers are slightly more expensive but readily available. I believe nitrile can be used with either type of anti-freeze.
This is correct. Neoprene is stiffened by PG and will crack. EG does not have this effect. This is also true of head joker valves (no reason not to use EG in the head--who's going to drink blackwater?). Jabsco uses neoprene, Raritan uses nitrile.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
This is correct. Neoprene is stiffened by PG and will crack. EG does not have this effect. This is also true of head joker valves (no reason not to use EG in the head--who's going to drink blackwater?). Jabsco uses neoprene, Raritan uses nitrile.
But, on the fresh water side of a diesel, would one expect to find a neoprene impeller?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Tartans weren’t made in Asia!

I know Prestone advertises that their product mixes with any color AF.

You could just drain the AF and start with your known product.

Either way, I think you will be fine.

Greg

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartans weren’t made in Asia!

I know Prestone advertises that their product mixes with any color AF.

You could just drain the AF and start with your known product.

Either way, I think you will be fine.

Greg
Thanks for the reply, Greg. Yes, perhaps at winter layup I'll change the coolant. Now I just want to top it off and burp it.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
JV,
If you are just topping off a bit, just add some distilled water for now. Then drain, flush, & refill at winter layup. I like to use the coolant that my engine manufacturer recommends.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
JV,
If you are just topping off a bit, just add some distilled water for now. Then drain, flush, & refill at winter layup. I like to use the coolant that my engine manufacturer recommends.
That's a thought. However, as I mentioned above, Westerbeke doesn't make a specific recommendation, they just say "Make sure that the cooling system of the engine is well cleaned before adding antifreeze. Recommended antifreeze for year round use is ZEREX or PRESTONE with rust inhibitors." (Post #10.)

I already bought the stuff, and unsealed one bottle. I suppose I can return one, or maybe just use it in my cars - we have five Hondas in the family!

I also suppose a little distilled water won't dilute it too much. I can check the specific gravity after with my refractometer. I just don't want the risk of neglecting to change the coolant at the end of the season and breaking things over the winter!

Today's the day. Can't wait to get to the boat and debug this coolant and water heater thing.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
JV,
Good thing for you that you aren’t converting from one type coolant to another. I changed from green to red last year; had to flush 4-5 times to get all of the green stuff out and then did a final flush with distilled water before adding 50:50 red & distilled water mix. Took the better part of a day! At least next time I will only be replacing with red coolant....should be much quicker.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
a. Red coolant can be several types, including Asian (but not all Asian) and HD truck. The chemistries are very different and change with time.

b. The main problem with changing chemistries is NOT color. Traces of certain chemicals can interfere with certain chemistries.

c. Even more seriously, different chemistries create different passivating films. When you change chemistry, the old film and a thin layer strips away, and a new lay must be created. Mostly this is a problem for thin aluminum radiator tubes, but it something to remember every time you switch chemistries. Pick just one and stick with it. Dexcool is a common recommendation in part because it is so widely available now that the patents have expired. The original product had some problems, but it has been reformulated to resolve them.