Propane locker drain

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 37 Cutter St. Joseph, Michigan
while working under the cockpit I noticed a looped hose that went to an above the water line through hull in the transom. I realized that this hose was the drain for the propane locker (which is in the aft, port locker). The system and the locker are in full compliance with everything I’ve read except for the loop. Is this ok or would it cause propane to collect in the locker? Recommended corrective steps?
Thank you.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Propane is heavier than air. It flows down hill. It won't do a loop without back pressure. You decide if your vent/drain needs modification.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Not an assumption. Just stating facts. I try not to "Direct" the OP in my answers.
I'm 'assuming' the previous owner of the vessel in question (not the OP) thought that an explosion was better than flooding the boat in a severe heeling situation.
Just sayin'. :yikes:

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
If propane locker is sealed as it should be, water cannot flood the locker, nor the boat. Drain should run downhill with no traps.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
In addition to propane having to flow up-hill, if any water gets in the hose there is no drain. It probably has water in it now.

And yes, leaks in the locker are fairly common. Regulator diaphragm failures are common.

May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
I am assuming this is a previous owner modification. My 81 has no such propane locker and I am not aware of original production of any 37 cutter with one.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
I am assuming this is a previous owner modification. My 81 has no such propane locker and I am not aware of original production of any 37 cutter with one.
Neither has my 1983 HC 37. How about a picture, it may be a good idea.

Jun 4, 2004
Well, the fun never ends... I pulled everything out and found that the existing locker is too tall to have the locker drain down hill and out. Pricing new lockers at $600 plus. Ouch. Does anyone know of an alternative that might work? Including going with something other than propane? I’m doing research, but keep finding Trident.
Thank you.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Well, the fun never ends... I pulled everything out and found that the existing locker is too tall to have the locker drain down hill and out. Pricing new lockers at $600 plus. Ouch. Does anyone know of an alternative that might work? Including going with something other than propane? I’m doing research, but keep finding Trident.
Thank you.
Well, could you install a small through-hull low enough? Or, switch to CNG.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I fought this for several years. Propane locker kept flooding under power or sail. About 5 inches inside. I finally gave up and put two 1.8 gal tanks on the aft pulpit..

Jun 4, 2004
The existing drain is right above the water line. It’s the tank’s length that is the problem. The outlet hangs below the water line. I need to raise it or replace it with a shallower locker.
Is the switch to CNG a huge tran$ition?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Is the switch to CNG a huge tran$ition?
I don't honestly know. Most people are going the other way, I think, as CNG can be hard to find, while propane is ubiquitous. I wouldn't think so, though, assuming the range can remain the same.

May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
No appropriatehttp sealable-from-the-top and bottom drainable locker being available, I went from pressurized kerosene to non pressurized alcohol. I could have gone propane and done what Rainbow Chaser did, http://austinsailor.net/upgrades.html, but that was more glass work and plumbing etc. than I wanted to tackle at the time. I have been very happy with the Origo. Not as hot or economical as the kerosene but much less bother and far far cleaner. Only problems with CNG - tank storage and availability of fill stations.

Jun 4, 2004
I think I may have solved the puzzle. The aft locker seat was several inches above the lid of the propane locker. I raised the propane locker 3” by placing 2x4’s under the board into which the it was mounted. I secured the hose so that it doesn’t touch the steering quadrant. It wasn’t perfectly downhill, but apparently enough. I poured 3 cups of water in and 3 cups of water drained out.
I filled the tank, pressurized the system and after 30 minutes, the gauge showed no leaks. I have not used the stove yet this season, but will test it tomorrow after checking for leaks by painting all joints with soapy water. As always, thank you for the help.
Jim

Jun 4, 2004
Forgot to mention, I shortened the hose, eliminated the loop and reconnected it so that it is a straight run from the propane locker drain barb to the through hull in the transom.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Sounds like you got it. Testing it with water was a good idea, propane would act the same. The only problem now is if water runs in when heeled. Won't flood the boat but will corrode the tank.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I think I may have solved the puzzle.
Good job! I had a problem with the previous boat that salt water would make its way into the locker and the bottom the tanks would rust. I hope you don't have that issue!

Jun 4, 2004
The tank is fiberglass and we’re on Lake Michigan, so tank corrosion won’t be a major concern. Now that I’m aware of it, I’ll add periodic inspection to the checklist. Thanks for all the help.