Photos too large?

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
As of this morning I am getting an error message trying to upload photos saying file is too large for the server to upload. These pictures are the same size that I upload regularly.

Has something been changed? what is the new max file size?

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
I got it yesterday. I cropped the photo til it would fit.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Pateco - had same problem it says 2.5 MB max upload but it would not accept even a 1.45 MB upload, so something is ganz verruckt as we say in germany.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I usually mail the big photo to myself and select final size when sending. Quicker than bringing up photoshop.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hi Phil. I experienced it occasionally over the past 8 days to 2 weeks. File format was jpeg.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
I think I found it -- the language in the forum settings is confusing and this may have been a config issue. Give it a try and let me know.

1.8 Mb image here:
1.8mb.jpeg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Just uploaded a file listed at 3.37MB that would not have worked a couple of days ago.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Actually, we should keep the photos to 1 meg or less and a size of 800x600 or less. The reason is for the guys on mobile devices. Large files take up a lot of data. If one does not have unlimited data then one will eat a lot of their data just to see a photo.

This is just my recommendation and can be ignored if one chooses.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
This is just my recommendation and can be ignored if one chooses
I have taken to trying to cut my sizes down because a lot of members make that same recommendation. There are times when it is nice to have the large size so details can be zoomed in on, like what's that turnbuckle doing at the masthead? OH! Not a turnbuckle, nevermind:redface:.

- Will (Dragonfly)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I've gone down to 1200 pixels wide. My photos at 1200 pixels wide, are less than 500KB. Maybe you guys should lower your resolution, that determines file content, not the size of the photos. This photo is 1200 pixels wide at a resolution of 240 pixels per inch. I can't increase it by clicking so I guess it's at it's max. size on my screen.

I lowered my photo size so those with slower download speeds wouldn't be slowed down, too much.

But personally, I can't click most of the thumbnails. The process seems slower, harder to get out of, and not worth the bother. I much prefer downloading the post, ready to read.

Phil, is it harmful(filling your storage) to the forum to upload files at 1200 wide with this resolution?

Irian 2018.jpg

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
When images are uploaded to our server they are resized and scaled to a lower resolution. The mobile problem is most noticeable when you link to a large photo hosted elsewhere. We have no control over the file size but they still have to be downloaded onto the device.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
problem is most noticeable when you link to a large photo hosted elsewhere. We have no control over the file size but they still have to be downloaded onto the device.
That is good to know. I have not been thinking about how big linked photos are, figuring, they don't have to be uploaded so it doesn't matter how big they are.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
What is this, 1997??
Possibly for some of us. This response is right up there with “I’m 75 and still going strong. Why can’t you do what I do?” Personally I’m happy to have finally made it it to the 20th century.