Anyone know what this is?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
It DOES look like one, but...
It has an interesting curled wire hook and the wrong shape for a horseshoe or lifesaver. How about a grill mount with LP hose support? That curled wire loop looks like it would catch on the buoy's painter. Make it easy to tangle.
The horseshoe preservers we had, caught the ends of the horseshoe at the bottom. They looked like this

But then, this is one too

So, maybe. It looks like it would be hard to hang with your flag there.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Definitely the Horseshoe throwable PFD bracket. Standard Beneteau design and is welded onto to stern pulpit. Have one just like it on my boat. Horseshoe fits onto it just fine.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
It DOES look like one, but...
It has an interesting curled wire hook and the wrong shape for a horseshoe or lifesaver. How about a grill mount with LP hose support? That curled wire loop looks like it would catch on the buoy's painter. Make it easy to tangle.
The horseshoe preservers we had, caught the ends of the horseshoe at the bottom. They looked like thiBut then, this is onetooo, maybe. It looks like it would be hard to hang with your flag there.

- Will (Dragonfly)
That curled wire is there to keep the strap secure and the horseshoe on the boat. Anyone that has sailed for any length of time has lost one of these off the transom due to the strap not being secured. Some people sail with them unsecured so you don't have to un-clip them in a MOB situation. That design allows for the deployment without having to un-clip, you just have to un-loop it.

Weasel

May 23, 2004
Beneteau 331 Iuka, MS
Yup, horshoe throwable. I use the hook to hang line from horshoe. Clever those folks from Beneteau!
“Early in my life I had the choice of arrogant honesty or hypocritical humility. I chose the former, and never looked back” FLW