Attaching the boom leads to more questions...

Mar 23, 2018
Catalina 22 12491 Lake Charlevoix
So yesterday I attached the boom to the mast and began to rig the boat based more on logical guesses than anything else (I also read a bunch of threads with the word boom in them). I think I have most things done right, but a few questions popped up. If you notice anything done incorrectly or unsafe please let me know.

First I slid the goose neck into the sail track.
boom issue 1.jpg boom issue 2.jpg
I just don't think the stop looks right? It seems very specifically designed, and just doesn't seem to match up with the goose neck. In the second photo the bolt looks dangerous.
boom vang1.jpg boom vang 2.jpg
I tied off the down haul to the cleat. Attached the boom vang.
I added the main sheet. Put on the topping lift. Although this is not like a topping lift on other boats I've sailed on. It's just a cable with a clip, functional and simple.
main sheet 1.jpg main sheet 2.jpg outhaul question1.jpg
Then I tried to figure out what I think is the outhaul. Maybe it will make more sense when the main is on but it seems like the block is facing the wrong way. Seems like the line would run from the rear of the sail aft to the block, turn and run forward though the chrome loop thingie and tie off to the cleat. But then why is there another chrome loop on the other side of the boom?
outhaul question 2.jpg outhaul question 3.jpg outhaul 4.jpg

:what:

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
First pic is the pop top lock. Once you raise the top, you slide this up and it locks it to the mast. When not in use this is normally positioned much farther down. Second looks homemade, must have lost the pin that threads in. The one that says topping lift is actually the pigtail. This is used to keep the boom centered and hold up the aft end when the sail is down. A topping lift is different and not fixed to the backstay. The pigtail MUST be unhooked the second you raise your main. All of the ones on the boom that you have ? on are for your two line reefing system. One end of a small line attaches to the eye strap on the port side, then runs up through the reef clew on the sail, then down through the cheek block on the starbord side, forward through the eye strap, and ties off at the cleat. The eye strap in your last pic is also for the reefing system. There should be a cleat right across from it on the other side of the mast. One end of the line attaches to the eye, runs up through the reef tack on the sail, then down to the cleat.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
I'm guessing as I have the early non pop top model-- but I believe that sail stop is designed to augment and/or hold up your pop top lid. All you need there is the standard "button" stop to keep your boom from dropping below your set height.

Your PO lost the main bolt-- and added their own-- check out Catalina direct for a factory replacement. You definitely don't want the snag hazard for skin or sails.

And likely your starboard aft cheek block on the mast is outhaul-- my main has a lead line that wraps that block and finds a mechanical jam cleat that keep the foot taught.

Pad eyes at the mast and the boom could be anything -- really depends on various systems that may or may not have been deployed on your boat. Boom pad eye could be for a secondary snap block to be used when your main is reefed? Guessing a bit, but you may stumble on it as you try every conceivable variation on a theme with your setup.

Nice pics-- looks like you're having fun.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018
Thanks!!!! :clap:

First pic is the pop top lock. Once you raise the top, you slide this up and it locks it to the mast. When not in use this is normally positioned much farther down.
Ok, well that answers another question, "how do I get the pop top to stay up?" :banghead: You just made my first mate super happy. :dancing:

Second looks homemade, must have lost the pin that threads in. The one that says topping lift is actually the pigtail. This is used to keep the boom centered and hold up the aft end when the sail is down. A topping lift is different and not fixed to the backstay. The pigtail MUST be unhooked the second you raise your main.
The pigtail makes perfect sense to me. But, then how do I keep the forward end of the mast up and level when the sails are down. If the aft end is held by the pigtail, the foward end will fall all the way down to the down haul cleat???

All of the ones on the boom that you have ? on are for your two line reefing system. One end of a small line attaches to the eye strap on the port side, then runs up through the reef clew on the sail, then down through the cheek block on the starbord side, forward through the eye strap, and ties off at the cleat. The eye strap in your last pic is also for the reefing system. There should be a cleat right across from it on the other side of the mast. One end of the line attaches to the eye, runs up through the reef tack on the sail, then down to the cleat.
I'm going to walk down to the boat and see if I can make sense of this.

Mar 23, 2018
Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
The pigtail makes perfect sense to me. But, then how do I keep the forward end of the mast up and level when the sails are down. If the aft end is held by the pigtail, the foward end will fall all the way down to the down haul cleat???
I'd bet that you want to raise the forward end of the boom up to clear the pop-top when the sails are down. You'd make the adjustment in height and then set the stopper. The boom doesn't need to be level when your sails are down … just out of the way.
What a beautiful lake to sail on … lucky you!

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Ok, well that answers another question, "how do I get the pop top to stay up?" :banghead: You just made my first mate super happy
If you want her to be real happy, get a pop-top lift system. It's simply a set of Gas Springs that decrease the effort to raise the pop top.
Catalina Direct has a kit, but you can get a better, and cheaper one from @$tingy Sailor
https://stingysailor.com/tingy-sailor-pop-top-ez-lift-kit/
Or you can easily DIY it if you have the skill.

One other thing you may want is a mast gate. It prevents the main from coming out of the slot when reefing or furling it. Definitely a must have if your main has slides instead of the old bolt rope.
Tom Luque is a guy who makes some great ones. www.mastgates.com
His new 3D printed one looks great.

Edit: If you want a sail track stop... you can support the company the runs this forum...
https://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?1661

or Tom Luque (above) makes a nice one with a cam lever.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Get two sail track stops and they will solve the mast gate problem by keeping sail slugs above the gate, and the other will support the boom when sail is down and pigtail disconnected. Hoist the sail, lower the sail track below the gooseneck and tighten the downhaul to tighten the sail along the mast. A topping lift to support the boom is a good idea too. See pix below.
Mast rake mark.jpg
basic rig not tuned.jpg

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Get two sail track stops and they will solve the mast gate problem by keeping sail slugs above the gate
Wouldn't work well for me. If my main is hoisted like in your photo, there would be a slug sitting where the gate is, and my sail cover wouldn't fit with that gap between the sail and boom when furled. I'd need to install a jack line so I could easily reef.

What I love about the mastgasts.com units is that once you insert the 3d printed one (now with integral alignment pins), the feed slot is effectively gone, and there is nothing sticking out for lines to catch on.

@$tingy Sailor has a review of 2 of the designs, and Tom has a second design that I'm now considering.
The cool thing is, if you get the 3D printed version and decide you want on of the stainless steel versions Tim will upgrade you for only the price difference.

https://stingysailor.com/2018/03/03/product-review-mastgates-sail-track-gates-2/

You can also make your own, like many people have done, but that design, with external knobs can lead to things hanging up on them.
The Catalina 22 Association Tech Manual has info on how to do that. Stingy also has info posted on his blog.
https://stingysailor.com/2014/04/26/mast-gates-solution-2/

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
When furled the boom goes back up just under the gate and sail cover fits just fine. See pix
shroud rollers.jpg

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
my solution, (and I don't have Jack's or LR's experience, and all their advice is sound), get a mastgate (new version) and have a few sail stops handy as needed...gives you versatility regardless of application or conditions.

BTW...giddy up on Stingy's poptop gas lift kit, you won't regret that after a few lifts!!

Heck, they are all just a coupla "boat bucks" here and there....(if you haven't got that one down yet, a boat buck = $100...at least that's what I keep telling the Admiral!)

Siren

Apr 2, 2018
Heck, they are all just a coupla "boat bucks" here and there....(if you haven't got that one down yet, a boat buck = $100...at least that's what I keep telling the Admiral!)
I'm tickled that a "boat buck" is only $100!! We are more familiar with "coach bucks" and that is $1,000! Heck, it's much more fun to spend 10 "boat bucks" than 1 "coach buck." :thumbup:

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Siren...well, based on that comparison, and your observation in your intro thread of old sailing folks often migrating to RV's, I'm gonna stick with sailing!!! Just think of what you've saved by picking up your C22!

Cheers!

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
One other thing you may want is a mast gate. It prevents the main from coming out of the slot when reefing or furling it. Definitely a must have if your main has slides instead of the old bolt rope.
Tom Luque is a guy who makes some great ones. www.mastgates.com
His new 3D printed one looks great.
We've been using Tom's "external tethered" gates for quite some time. We love them, they are flawless. At first I was suspicious of the plastic rivets and thin shock cord, but the suspicion wore off as the years went by.

And you will never do business with a better man than Tom Luque.

Mar 23, 2018
This afternoon I decided to tune my standing rigging. Using my new tool, which cost about a boat buck, it went pretty well.
https://loosnaples.com/how-to-use-pt-series-tension-gauges

When I started, everything was sloppy loose.
First I marked my boom at 6 and 7 inches aft of the mast. Then I tied a line with a 3# weight to the main halyard and tied it off so it was a foot or so above the deck, allowing it to swing and not break anything. Standing on the dock I had 6" of rake. :waycool:
mast rake.jpg

Then I started with the upper shrouds. Both were about 10, so I worked 3 turns on each side until I got to 16, then one turn at a time until I got to 19, then half or quarter turns. Finally each side read 21. :)
Upper Shroud.jpg
Then on to the forward lowers, both sides barely read on the gauge. So, again 3 turns until I got to 14, then one turn each until 17, then half/quarter turns to 18.5 - 19.
foward lower shroud.jpg
Repeat with the aft lowers, until I got to 18.
aft lower shroud.jpg
:clap: Great, I'm done!
Except I went back to check the uppers and they were down to 16. Then, fixing those threw off the lowers.
So, I spent a while chasing my tail, until I finally got things settled.
I ended up with uppers at 21, forward lowers at 19, aft lowers at 17.5.
I tried to double check my rake but the winds picked up at lot. In the few lulls it looked like about 6" of rake at the boom, which I hiked up to 36" above the tabernacle(?). About 1 1/2" to 2" of rake at the spreaders. :clap::clap::clap: :beer:

I think, this is pretty close to what is recommended based on all the threads I read, and the North Sails guide I read.

Now, if you read any of the threads about tuning or read the North Sails pdf, my numbers and their numbers do not match. Seems (basically) agreed upon numbers are uppers 28 and lowers 24. However, these numbers are based on a Loos model A gauge, and NOT the newer Loos PT-1, which I have. So, I had to use a conversion chart, luckily it is also in the North Sails pdf. Based on that conversion chart, I came up with 21 for the uppers and 18.5ish for the lowers. I could have very easily missed this step and drastically over tightened the shrouds. Hopefully if anyone references this post in the future, they catch this important detail. And, hopefully, I have this correct, since I'm still VERY NEW TO THIS! :yikes:

This thread was very helpful: https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/catalina-22-tuning-the-rig.187599/#post-1401055

Attachments

Mar 23, 2018
The mastgates.com 3D printed gate is very interesting. Glad to hear so many people are happy with the company and their products.