And so it begins... The V222 Restoration

Jan 25, 2017
Macgregor V222 Kentucky Lake
Thanks for compliment. You get it my friend. I promise, she feels you. She hears your thoughts and knows your heart. They have a soul; they aren't just wood and fiberglass. She will piss you off, she will nearly kill you multiple times I promise, but in the end she will save your life. Metaphorically and literally.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Wow that is very pretty.

The boat looks great too:poke:

Jan 25, 2017
We started the keel removal process this weekend. I think a motorcycle jack is the ticket. It provides the width needed to balance the keel on. As you can see from the pics below, one side is ok the other is shot.

IMG_5647.JPG
IMG_5649.JPG

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Ja know---- I have been watching these keel repairs for years and I would like to offer a suggestion.
Epoxy glue and lead shot for a filler to add weight to the repair.

Jan 25, 2017
I'm really considering concrete. Ive seen it used in other marine applications and can't imagine it wouldn't work. The lead shot isn't a bad idea though...

Jan 25, 2017
New Resin / Cloth at the Tabernacle. After a near miss raising the mast last week, I "beefed up" the fiberglass by adding to sheets and some resin. While it will make it a bit more rigid, I got a lot of great advice from Dr. Judy, Time Bandit and others... I get that in a "de-masting" the mast needs to rip away with minimal damage. The resin was to mostly to fill the hole that is apparently "pulled through." Luckily we stopped and got some great advice on baby stays, which I'm installing now, before doing serious damage.

IMG_5695.JPG

IMG_5699.JPG

IMG_5701.JPG

IMG_5703.JPG

Jan 25, 2017
Keel removal and Fourth of July bottom paint. The keel is now out and frankly, it refocused my attention. I can see the end now. More importantly, I know how I'm going to put it back. For anyone considering a keel job, I can't recomend the motorcycle jack enough.
IMG_5790.JPG

NOTE THE CLEARANCE
IMG_5792.JPG

IMG_5802.JPG

Now the bottom paint

IMG_5802.JPG

IMG_5881.JPG

IMG_5879.JPG

Jan 25, 2017
Oh the keel! That blased, heavy, bulky, , mess of a keel, is done!
IMG_6293.JPG

IMG_6306.JPG
IMG_6389.JPG

IMG_6303.JPG

I had to shave a few millimeters off once I placed it. Ended up using a belt sander. With a bit of shaving she went right in. It was actually easier than I thought (though that would be the first thing in this restoration that turned out that way and I have no desire to do it again anytime soon).

Jan 25, 2017
A labor day of love!!! We splashed S/V Sea Gypsy this Labor Day weekend! Just in time for sailing season 2018! This was truly the hardest project I've ever undertaken, but worth every minute and penny once we hit the water!
IMG_6571.JPG
IMG_6572.JPG

We even had an "Official Christening!"

IMG_6507.JPG

IMG_6551.JPG

As I said when I started this documentation, there is no such thing as a free boat. But, then again there is no feeling like doing it completely on your own. I know what's under her, I know every seem and rivet and drop of epoxy in her! Now the adventure begins!!! Thank you to everyone for your support along the way and the great advice you gave me! I couldn't have done it without you guys! Fair winds!

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Why do you do this stuff? BECAUSE IT'S WORTH IT!!! A boat is a hole in the water into which you pour a great deal of money, and in your case blood sweat and tears. Great job. Fair Winds and Full Sails.

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Freedom has been laid up for a long time since my first mate passed. Would like to get back out ASAP. Enough dirt inside to plant a garden.

Oct 13, 2018
venture 222 georgia
Todd, I just bought a 1971 Venture 222. I appreciated the photos and info as you undertook your journey. I could use a little help myself....

Jan 25, 2017
Whatever you need - I owe some other folks pictures also. Just let me know what you need.

Jan 25, 2017
Call Blue Water Yachts and ask for Esra. He can make you an entire set for about $400.00

Jan 25, 2017
Also Jim, you need to inspect that keel sooner rather than later. The biggest problem with the V222 is the iron keels encased in fiberglass. This was a huge design flaw they later corrected. Certainly others on here can tell you what year they changed to solid iron, but I believe they continued with the flawed design until 73. The problem was that the iron encased keels would develop cracks and water would seep in. Then, of course rust would follow and the keels would swell and crack at times getting stuck in the keel trunk. It was by far my biggest challenge. Good luck and keep the questions coming.