Sailing A MC Scow

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
I received a Email today from a lister who asked the following question - "I'm always last in the race. My competitors lower the traveler about 3". My MC Scow is main only. Why is it faster than centering the traveler?". I was going to suggest that he follow the lead of the competitors ahead of him and do what they do but he asked WHY.

I've never sailed a scow - in fact, I've never seen one. I called a friend of mine who has at least seen one and he knew a fellow who sailed one. He told me that the way they sail these boats is with 30* heel and the traveler 3" off center and that the crew constantly adjusts the traveler to maintain 30*. That answers the WHAT you do but the WHY of sail trim is everything otherwise a sailor is just guessing at the adjustment.

Can anyone familiar with these boats provide a answer to help me and forum lister?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I've never sailed one either. But I'll step right up to see if I can guess. I think the key is 30 degrees heel. That gets a good deal of the bottom out of the water and reduces drag. It would also put the forward leeward chine under water which would make the boat track like it's on rails and reduce slamming in waves as opposed to the almost flat bottom. Why the traveler down some? Because you don't want 40 degrees heel.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Is this the boat? MC Scow. A Melges-designed performance OD?

MCScow-.jpg

If so, I imagine the crew "works" the traveler (as Don confirmed). Down in gusts and up in lulls, at least going to weather and probably on other points as well. The crew works the traveler for the best angle of heel for performance. Crew weight and position probably affects where to "set" the traveler to optimize the angle of heel.

Last edited:
May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
Andrew/Kings Gambit: Thank you. I'll pass your info to the Scow sailor.

A common sail trim suggestion is to watch and copy the sail trim of boats in front of you. Most times it doesn't work (this case is different) because the sailor in the back of the pack doesn't have a clue as to set his sail trim controls to duplicate what he's seeing. This Scow sailor has my book & chart so he knew WHAT he was looking at and had an idea WHY the boats ahead of him were faster. I've told him that first he should review the chapter of my book on the traveler & angle of attack, which is all the traveler controls. Next, he should duplicate 30* heel and to hold the traveler about 3" off center. Fool around with the 3" setting to see if he squeeze a little bit more speed out of his boat . Additionally, he should review the section on the basics of the racing start in order to get a jump on the competition - after he gets the jump he has to hold it and that's the hard part.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
MC Scow.
Wow... I remember those days. That's when I had Abs of Steel. Sail a boat with your butt on the rail hanging out in the air holding on with a strap over your feet. Hoping the strap does not break. For 3 hours of racing, you will get that six pack the TV commercials promise.

mm2347

Oct 21, 2008
oday 222 niagara
I built a Laser 1/2 c-pit with side deck and a hiking strap for a couple of masochists that used it to hike out on while watching T.V. in their living room.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
@Don Guillette ,

MC Scows sail with the main down off center because their mainsail is not in the relative knock of a headsail.

True of any main-only boat. The same boat with a jib (M16 scow) sail normally.

MC hulls were designed by Johnson Boatworks in White Bear Lake MN. Melges changed the rig and called that boat the MC

Last edited:

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Is this the boat? MC Scow. A Melges-designed performance OD?

View attachment 151764

That attached photo is a C scow. usual crew is two. MC is smaller at 16 feet and is single handed except in breezier conditions. As I recall the MC hull weight is about 420 pounds, its cat rigged and sail area I believe is about 135 square feet. Its been a few years since I have sailed one.
Generally, the traveller is dropped a few inches to keep the boat heeled at more like 15 degrees, 30 sounds a bit extreme, that would just about have the rudder out of the water.
The boat has leeboards and generally the windward board is retracted. On a reach, the leeward board is often retracted about halfway or so. Its a planing hull and will go like mad in the right conditions. They are a blast to sail.
I was always a bit heavy to sail one competetively except in windy conditions When I was sailing them, I owned MC822, MC1236, and MC1465 in succession. I sailed in a club that at one time counted 45 boats in that fleet and routinely fielded over 20 boats on Saturday and Sunday races.
Those days are gone, the boats have just gotten too expensive, and younger people don’t want to take the time to learn to sail.