Rolling and tipping paint method

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town

Right peeps... I’m a the stage where it’s time to paint on undercoat. I’ve watched tons of yuutuub videos, read lots of materials but...

In the above paint supplier video I see the tipping done with the same direction as the rolling. Every other video I’ve seen the tipping done across the direction of rolling!

Obviously paints expensive, time is not endless and redoing a botch job is not on the plans!

Any suggestions from peeps who have rolled and tipped there own boats?

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I've done this. You get the brushed look but it goes on faster. I don't think it matters which way you roll it on.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
My limited experience with awlgrip is that on the hull you would tend to roll vertically and tip off horizontally.

The tip brush doesn’t need to be fancy and I found that the lightest of touch was ideal. No need to drag paint around just a light trickle by so to speak laid down a mirror sheen coat.

Last edited:

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
I've done this. You get the brushed look but it goes on faster. I don't think it matters which way you roll it on.
Thanks for comments.

This paint is “designed” for roll and tip. The supplier specifically asked how I was going to apply the paint.

So I really hope the brush marks will not be that apparent.

As @pclarksurf said I’m going to do the lightest brushing effort possible but it was brushing direction I was not sure of!

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Thanks for comments.

This paint is “designed” for roll and tip. The supplier specifically asked how I was going to apply the paint.

So I really hope the brush marks will not be that apparent.

As @pclarksurf said I’m going to do the lightest brushing effort possible but it was brushing direction I was not sure of!
I watched an Epifanes rep. roll a topsides(2 part), without tipping. His technique was careful rolling - all directions - to get an even coat while keeping a very light pressure on his roller. This was the finish coat though. The undercoat was rolled on by the owner and sanded (320 #).

I prefer roll and tipping. I roll both ways with the idea of getting an even coat onto the surface. For tipping the topsides, I like to brush lightly, both ways. First, horizontally then finish with vertical strokes. I think a vertical brush mark is harder to see. But I've seen better results (from professionals) brushing either direction.

Still, this - rolling only - was an interesting technique to observe and the rep was very helpful.

All this painting is being done outdoors. That is the challenge: Weather. If you can do the work indoors, your results will be better.

The conditions for this topside were not ideal. The sun was too high, a bit of wind. This causes the coating to set before it can flow out thoroughly. If you're painting outdoors, I find the weather the most important component for a good finish.

The above results were very good. Up close, you could see the finish had a slight orange peel or roller stiple texture. In perfect conditions (cooler, higher humidity, no wind, shade), it may have flowed out more completely. But inspecting the finish this close up, you can see faint brush marks in even the best (professionally applied roll and tip) work I've seen.

Another observation I had was that this technique (rolling only) wasn't saving any time over rolling and tipping. But I learned that a light touch on the roller would probably result in a better tipping job, but it takes a bit longer to get the paint on.

The truth about a flawless finish: Once a hull is floating, the light off the waters on the topsides, gives a near flawless finish to the eye. The owner finished the above hull, himself. The rep explained the conditions and the finish that was say, ...90% of what could have been achieved in better conditions. The rep went on; if the owner wants to improve the finish, he can lightly sand next year with 320#, and give it another go.

Good advice from the rep. That's the way to look at it. Don't get too hung up on the finish that's in front of your nose while the boat is on a trailer or jack stands. This is your first attempt. Consider the challenge of getting a great finish, but leave perfection, for the next time.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I think Tom nailed it. I have done roll-and-tip and roller only, and the difference is very small with good technique. The roller is critical (I like mohair) and the solvent may require adjustment (a bit thinner than roll-and-tip).

As always, though, don't fuss too much with what is in front of you. If you over work it it will look bad. It almost always looks better when dry. Consider the first coat practice, just o dial in your technique and to match it to the conditions.