H26 tiller-outboard connecting rod owner mod

Aug 31, 2013
Hunter 26 Saylorville-Des Moines
Connecting the tiller to the outboard has made piloting in and out of the slip a lot easier, and also the boat handles much better while motoring with the auto pilot while I'm putting up or taking down the main, etc. After a couple of different attempts, I ended up with what you see in the pictures. (I'd like to modify the mount for the ST1000 auto pilot, but the PO had done that and it seems to work for now.)
The connecting rod is available on SBO store - it is the good stainless steel version http://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?5239. On the engine, I found some flat stock at Menards and bent to shape - I needed about 5-6" of rise from the front of the engine to get the tiller connector relatively level. I drilled the underside of the tiller to mount the second ball there. The wood is just two pieces of pine 1x2 I think, routed for the threaded rod - then Helmsman spar outdoor finish, some butyl on the inside to minimze rotation, and then screwed together with two screws each end. I finished with some lashing to make it nautical.
Note: The connecting rod WILL interfere with the autopilot compass and cause it to go crazy if I get it too close while installing/uninstalling. As installed, it doesn't cause a problem.
2016April15 1st day (8).JPG
2016April15 1st day (7).JPG
2016April15 1st day (9).JPG
2016April15 1st day (3).JPG

Easy to connect/disconnect from inside the cockpit, and works great. (This is the kind of victory one likes to claim to make up for the other frustrated and half-finished projects!)

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Thanks for the pics. I'll see how that might work for my new motor installation. Previously I was always considering methods that involved placing the connecting rod aft of the tiller axis of rotation but this looks like it may be an easier approach. I like the fact that it is easy to quick disconnect without hanging over the stern rail. I prefer having the rod disconnected when I'm out in open water and when sailing.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I try not to tell anyone they should do something. But I'm telling you, if you have an H26 or 260 you really should order this from SBO. Today. Tonight. Now. Not knowing SBO sells these I bought mine from someone else and paid more. I'm telling you, you SHOULD buy this. It will make steering under power easier. Especially docking.
I doubt I'll ever implore y'all to buy anything else. But you really need this if you don't already have it.

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 26 Illinois
That looks complicated. This is easy to install and can be lifted off the tiller when I tilt the motor up or removed for trailering by giving the loop at the motor a twist and the two loops separate. DSCF2131a.JPG DSCF2094.JPG DSCF2098.JPG DSCF2133.JPG DSCF2099.JPG
Once the design was proved all parts were replaced with stainless.

Jimmy

Jan 28, 2018
Hunter 26 lake Powell lake mead
Kermit do you have a photo of your motor link? I was going to install one on the rudder plate outboard side

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Kermit do you have a photo of your motor link? I was going to install one on the rudder plate outboard side
I’ll be there tomorrow and have asked my wife to remind me to take a better picture. This is the best I have for now. Zoom in. It might help a little.
Well crap. The file I have is too large to upload. Send me a private message with your email address and I’ll email what I have.

BrianW

Jan 7, 2005
Hunter 26 Guntersville Lake, (AL)
Has anyone made a connection to the front of a Honda 9.9 with tiller steering? I have already purchased the rod connector kit like the one in SBO, but can’t quite figure out the attachment point or method. Thanks, BrianW