260 rudder question please

Nov 10, 2017
Hunter Legend 260 Epidavros
Just launched and had a problem with the rudder and there seems to be very little info in the handbook.
Could the experienced please tell me if the only way to lock the rudder in the down position is by the friction screw? Also is there any other aspects of the rudder I should watch out for please?

Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
The friction screw will not hold the rudder down . Trying to over tighten it can crush the foam rudder and lead to a seam crack . You can drill another hole in the rudder and use the up pin holes with sacrificial pins you can buy of this website or just cleat the rudder down. Look at the mod section for a few mods for clearing down .
The 260 is very sensitive to rudder position . Fully down or lots of weather helm .
It's A bad design.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I cleat the downhaul to the cleat at the top of the rudder post.

Nov 10, 2017
Thank you for your replies. Maxincalgary. Can you please give me more information sacrificial pins please, as in size and material and I'll see if I can source something similar here in Greece.
Kermit. At the moment I have a problem with the downhaul, I have used the steering hole in the rudder shaft (mine's tiller) to fit a connecting mount for rod steering to connect with the outboard. The picture is of the template I made prior to the finished product.
The through bolt is 12mm (1/2" in yours). I need to go down to the mooring and remove this and see if I can make the downhaul work with this set up, if not sheer pins seem to be the solution. Unless anyone has any better ideas?

IMG_20180507_153533.jpg

Nov 10, 2017
@GBGraham how do you get the rudder down without the downhaul?
I just used my foot and the pinch screw. I have since been down to the boat and sorted the downhaul, I must have nipped it somehow but whatever it was it now performs.
I still like the idea of modifying to sheer pins, for me this would make primary fix with the downhaul as a back up.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The original design has a block with one line inside the rudder post just above the bolt shown attached to the rudder in the up position or traveling position when on the trailer. The other line that runs thru that block when pulled holds the rudder down. Look under owners manual for hunter 260 around page 82 for diagram.
Do not suggest drilling further holes in rudder and those plastic sticks holding rudder in place did not do that well

Nov 10, 2017
My handbook only has 59 pages, The rudder is shown on 52A-1 and until one knows the workings of the rudder it is a small unhelpful diagram and not very clear at all. I didn't realise Hunter had paper at a premium? I found this today that was most helpful. http://h260.com/rudder/rudder_problems/rudder.html
Can you CD or anyone else please be a tad more informative on the reluctance to modifying and incorporating sheer pins, it seems a neat mod to protect the rudder.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Most customers complained. Go to boat information clicking on that. Click on hunter and then click on 260. Click on downloads and then click on owners manual and scroll down to page 82. Volla and you will see the diagram

Nov 10, 2017
Look for the page that says 240/260 rudder lines detail as it is there and you will need to blow it up
Got that thanks on 52A-1, so poor in the printed handbook though. Still no comment to your reluctance to sheer pins. From my point, hitting the rudder with the downhaul will do more damage to the rudder than having a sheer pin system. Or am I missing something?

Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
What I have on my H260 is a release cleat like those added to tillers on lasers to stop rudder damage . It's shown in owners mod section for H260 . If you add the micro blocks the rudder also it goes up and down easier .
Added lag bolts to my rudder head to allow me to tighten the rudder without crushing it . The less movement in the rudder head , the less torsional loads.
This site sells the sacrificial pins or you could buy delrin rod and cut to size.
As for the rudder construction on the H260. In my opinion for a boat of this size its sub at best. On a H170 maybe.
I would be very gentle with the rudder at any position other than full down . Shallow water positions are not really that , they are just a byproduct of the design .
A cassette type system would always have been the way to go. I'm sure an aluminum welder could mod the whole system , but at what cost.

Nov 10, 2017
Thanks for your reply and info MC, I actually ordered an autoreverse camcleat (CL257) earlier today so I will have to wait for snail mail from the UK to Greece before I can report.
I thought this was worth a try and definitely not as severe of drilling the rudder even though it would not worry me greatly if I had too.
I think folding/sliding/fixed rudder systems are all six of one and half a dozen of another. Reading topics the consensus one at some time is going to damage the rudder, I'll be most disappointed if I'm one of them . . . . But yes, they should have tried harder!!

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Our 260 came with a factory shear pin. Goes in same hole in SS bracket as that used to hold rudder up in trailer position.

PDF manual available here -106 pgs, on p82 (actual in PDF) is detail on rudder lines etc.

https://sbo.sailboatowners.com/downloads/Hunter_260_90036430.pdf

It does not show the second hole in the rudder itself that the shear pin inserts into.

Shear pins available from the store here.

http://shop.hunterowners.com/hp/part.php?m=260&c=3&p=52604

It is a pain to insert and remove but does it’s job.

If you search the 260 archives I think you could find the material and diameter of this pin and have it made locally. I seem to remember years ago some members indicating they used bic pens or something similar.

If you need to drill the rudder - drill it oversize, fill with epoxy to seal and then drill to correct size.

Nov 10, 2017
Our 260 came with a factory shear pin. Goes in same hole in SS bracket as that used to hold rudder up in trailer position.

PDF manual available here -106 pgs, on p82 (actual in PDF) is detail on rudder lines etc.

https://sbo.sailboatowners.com/downloads/Hunter_260_90036430.pdf

Cheers for the information, I have noted what you say. The boat is in the water now till Autumn so if I do the rudder mod I will save for a Winter project. Hoping the autocleat does the job?
maxincalgary
Yes the 4:1 purchase would be a lot easier but with the 12mm through bolt I have going through the rudder shaft might snag on a double pullley. Another Winter project to take a look at.
The confusion I had with p82 of 106 was that I was going by handbook pages not pdf pages.
Microsoft does not show number of pages as Adobe does. Thought I was going daft . . . . . or others where:biggrin:
I'm now finding my way around so much more on the Hunter pages thanks to snippets from others:clap: