Trailer Time !

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Evolution of a mess:

Thought I would laugh at myself in public-- since the day s/v MaryAnne came home I've been fighting the keel pad. Had grand ideas about how to fix it in the early goings, miscalculated, fixed it again, miscalculated, fixed it again... and finally last weekend I was going to be home free. Doh! adjusted my carved up stoltz keel roller, adjusted its height perfectly, added an 1.5" support pad which was a bear to find and was certain I was golden. Then promptly added my beefed up axle - and did not account for the fact the new axle at the same drop is made with 2x2 stock-- the old at least an inch less... DAMMIT ! Freaking keel now partially rests on the new axle. Ah well... purchased a 2" stoltz pad and will add to my orange collection.

Needless to say I refuse to raise the bunk boards-- really trying to keep the profile of the load down even though I just increased the ride height a bit with the D load rated tires.

IMG_0229.JPG
IMG_0430.JPG
IMG_0131.JPG
IMG_0133.JPG

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
That's a flashy looking set-up, and you can't go wrong like that. Might have teenagers chasing you too much though..

In all seriousness, looks great. I'm the king of expanding projects, so I know your pain-

Apr 11, 2017
I'm sure this is probably a silly question -- what is the black rectangular plastic box, that is bolted onto the first cross member at the head of the bunks, used for?

Apr 5, 2018
Catalina Capri 25 Jackson
I'm sure this is probably a silly question -- what is the black rectangular plastic box, that is bolted onto the first cross member at the head of the bunks, used for?
Self destruct. For when you’re just sick of boat repairs

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
So what the plan now for solving the axle issue ? spacer on the axle/spring and some type of bump stop so the axle doesn't rise up and mash the keel ?

Scope creep is normal for me.

Started on a "quick cab swap" on a pickup... turned into a 8 year, "better than oem", restoration.
Don't even get me started on the whole "yay I bought a C22 and should be sailing this summer (2015) after I sell the other boat"

At least we can all take solace in @CloudDiver 's endless project/pursuit of perfection. ;)

'm sure this is probably a silly question -- what is the black rectangular plastic box, that is bolted onto the first cross member at the head of the bunks, used for?
Looks like a generic "waterproofish" junction box you can buy for wiring. I have the same one on my trailer between the plug/cable and the rest of the trailer.

I could be wrong though... maybe @IDtrucks is right and it is some c4 in a box. hehe

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2018
I’m just in a relentless pursuit of repairs and it’s Daunting enough. Cloud driver...is most certainly in a pursuit of showroom quality perfection

Jul 13, 2015
good stuff-- black box is actually a waterproof junction box from e trailer - I currently have a a 4 wire connector coming off the hitch and running directly to the left taillight-- then a jump over to the right tail. I did this temporarily last season and it has been bugging me (but functional) for a while. Plan is to bring the hitch connection direct to the box-- and leave the box with two direct runs on the outside frame to each taillight and pick up a middle facing light on each fender.

Was intelligent for a moment and decided mounting the box and drilling the holes was a heck of a lot easier with no boat in the way.

download.png

Apr 11, 2017
Good idea -

My new to me factory C22 trailer came with just brake lights, license plate light, and turn signals. My other 19 ft boat trailer has the same, but with the additional amber electric "marker" lights on the sides, due to the width. The way I was reading the regulations recently, the C22 factory trailer also requires the additional amber side "marker" lights.

I can't imagine how this same boat was trailered across state lines for 30 years by prior owners, without that becoming an issue. Do most of you also have the amber side "marker" lights on your C22 trailer?

Jul 13, 2015
@Leeward Rail : I'll have to snag some pics-- but the keel is technically resting on the keel roller-- but with all that weight it tends to compress the stotlz roller. before the new axle she had a tendency to "kiss" the cross member -- hence the new 1.5" bump stop there. With the slightly taller Axle profile the cross member is out of the picture and the axle needs a bump stop. 2" pad is inbound and we'll see if that doesn't satisfy physics. One last option would be to add an inch or two to the bunk boards, but with the stock welded risers I'm hoping I don't need to go quite that far.

Jul 13, 2015
Good idea -

. Do most of you also have the amber side "marker" lights on your C22 trailer?
And I added my marker lights by way of the CE Smith guide posts -- I needed something to assist the admiral in lining up the boat coming back to the well buried in the water trailer. I purchased the LED topped version that has an amber and a red for forward and aft facing. Wiring is likely this weekend -- will get some images.

Apr 11, 2017
I just bought some of this, for another project: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L8NXQTK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 There are a bunch of different widths, sizes, and prices.

It's heavy, and extremely shock absorbing, in a firm way. If you needed to add some extra protection to a possible keel impact point on the trailer, it would probably work pretty well. Maybe wrap it, and bolt it or heavy zip tie it. Just a thought - as I just bought some.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
The way I was reading the regulations recently, the C22 factory trailer also requires the additional amber side "marker" lights.
I have a 2015 factory C22 trailer (currently made by Road King), and that sucker is lit up like a Christmas tree! In addition to the prerequisite tag and tail lights, it has marker lights facing fore and aft on each fender, side marker lights just aft of the tongue, and three extra brake/tail lights, all in a cluster, right underneath the keel roller. Twelve lights in all.

You would know better than I about the legality if you've been doing some reading. I always thought brake/tail and tag lights were all that was required. It might vary from state to state though.

Apr 5, 2018
I have a 2015 factory C22 trailer (currently made by Road King), and that sucker is lit up like a Christmas tree! In addition to the prerequisite tag and tail lights, it has marker lights facing fore and aft on each fender, side marker lights just aft of the tongue, and three extra brake/tail lights, all in a cluster, right underneath the keel roller. Twelve lights in all.

You would know better than I about the legality if you've been doing some reading. I always thought brake/tail and tag lights were all that was required. It might vary from state to state though.
Anything over 80” wide technically needs the triple center lights. If you’re under it’s not legally required. my double axle is wide enough I probably should have the “wide load” lights but I don’t have those or amber side lights and I haven’t gotten pulled over yet...Wyoming cops seem not to care too much ha. I’ll add them eventually...

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
"Do most of you also have the amber side "marker" lights on your C22 trailer?"

Mine has them.

Attachments

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Do most of you also have the amber side "marker" lights on your C22 trailer?
Mandatory here.

They also have the added advantage of better reference when backing up in the dark.
I grew up hauling a camper all over the continent, and one of the things I learned from my dad, and repeated arrivals at campgrounds in the darkness... was that side markers are a godsend.

When I was bringing this C22 home when I purchased it, I was backing up in a big u-haul truck, with the trailer/boat attached, in a pitch black parking lot.
I could not see the trailer, even with the small reverse lights on the van. Extremely tired, and without an assistant, I ended up slightly bending the bolt-on hitch section of the trailer.
When I got home, I promptly installed side marker lights on the trailer.

At some point I plan on installing rear facing worklights on both my forester and my 2500. Makes it easy to set up tents when camping etc.

Jul 13, 2015
Funny that I’ve been trying not to raise the bunk height for the better part of 2 seasons— with all the changes to the axle it was clear as day that the keel wasn’t happy.

Added a single block of 1.5” stock and I think that’s the end of it finally: Too lazy to move the boat out of the way — quite the jungle gym lifting just enough, pulling the tires to lower the frame just enough to sneak in a 4” bolt

A4826EE1-0DA0-4C8E-867F-B15A453E90C1.jpeg
22A9283F-DDEF-4C26-BD98-EA83A4D2EFBF.jpeg