2018 Sun Gypsy cruise

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
IMGP0140.jpeg Had a great sail after leaving Lund. South end of Hernando Is. with Vancouver Island in the background.IMGP0141.jpeg Almost alone in Von Donop.

Jan 5, 2017
IMGP0145.jpeg Threading our way through Whiterock Passage. 5 ft. at "0" tide and we draw 6'10" so we went slowly.IMGP0149.jpeg Going through Beasley and Surge Narrows. This was just before slack. Three hours earlier current had been 9.6 knots.

Jan 5, 2017
IMGP0170.jpeg View from the pub at Shoal Bay. We will leave here tomorrow and head for Blind Channel. I want to have a look at their new tidal current generator.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
drive time, sander rental and hotels into the costs
Not too much to factor in; one hour drive time, no need to rent a sander here, and hotel room, not. Had my fill of hotel rooms during my career.

Dec 25, 2000
View from the pub at Shoal Bay.
Hi Michael, have you hiked to the open gold mines before? Well worth the 30 minute jaunt. Take a good flashlight, boots because of water and a stick to poke for vertical shafts in front of you. Lots of derelict mining equipment along the way and some very nice overlooks.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Haven't done that Terry. They've had a Grizzly Bear around all spring and didn't recommend it. Don't think I can run that fast anymore!
You don’t have to run fast.... just faster than the slowest person in the group

Jan 5, 2017
IMGP0184.JPG Blind Bay Tidal Generator. This is a joint University of B.C. and University of Manitoba engineering project. It produces 20KW with 6 kts of current.

Mar 15, 2013
Islander 32 mkll Comox Hrb.
Been through Whiterock pass a few times. Difficult to navigate with all the boulders and watching the ranges astern of you!

Jan 5, 2017
watching the ranges astern of you!
Every time I turned to check I turned the boat as well. I think it must be easier to go toward Calm Channel as they are in front of you then. I'll have to try the other way next time, or just follow the red line on the chart plotter!?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Michael, folks with steering wheels in cars have that problem. They look to the side of the road and the car starts to turn in that direction.
You have a couple of options.
  1. Turn on the AP take your hands off the wheel and turn around for a quick check.
  2. Use the wheel break to hold the helm while you turn to check your position.
  3. Station a crew member to monitor the range marker while you focus forward
  4. Head in the opposite direction.
:biggrin:
Oh I almost forgot... Put the beer down in the cup holder before you turn your head.

Dec 25, 2000
Many cruises ago our little flotilla added a circumnavigation to our cruise plan, of Cortes Island. So, we did it counter clockwise starting with Von Donop Inlet, then Squirrel Cove, Cortes Bay and ending with Gorge Harbor. That was back when Marlyn's Place was open for First Nation prepared (open fire pit and cedar staked) salmon fry bread lunches. The next year we stopped by it was closed, never to open again.