Selling/donating/disposing boat

JTSII

Jun 1, 2018
Catalina 22 Eagle Mtn Lake, Ft. Worth, TX
I have owned a 1977 Catalina 22 for the past 25 years (second owner). I don't use it anymore and would like to either sell/donate or otherwise dispose of it...tired of paying slip fees. What are the options for donating or disposing of it if I am not able to find a buyer? It floats, but has no motor or trailer, and needs some work. Thanks.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Boat Angel will take it off your hands and auction it on eBay. We got rid of an unwanted boat through them recently.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Does FWBC have a Junior Program that is a not-for-profit that might take it as a donation for their programs? Just a thought.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Another option is to part it out. Winches and deck hardware can be sold on auction sites. The centerboard/keel, standing rigging goes to scrap metal dealer. Someone may want the mast. If the cushions are good they might sell. Head or porta potty might sell. When you've sold everything you cut it up with a chain saw and put it in a dumpster.
Someone local just did this with a sailboat that washed up on his beach. The cut up was basically a one day job.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Unless it’s in great shape most boat donation organizations will not take it. They have lots filled with crappy old boats.

Sep 30, 2013
The Albin Vega I got rid of through Boat Angel was an absolute WRECK. And I had plundered everything of value off of it, down to the blocks and shackles. Some poor slob paid about $1500 for it, and I got to write that amount off as a charitable donation. :)

If I recall correctly, they don't "take" the boat, they just put it up for auction. You own it until it sells.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
The Albin Vega I got rid of through Boat Angel was an absolute WRECK. And I had plundered everything of value off of it, down to the blocks and shackles. Some poor slob paid about $1500 for it, and I got to write that amount off as a charitable donation. :)....
Funny, I know someone who is looking for an Albin Vega.

Yours couldn't have been much worse than one I looked at a few years ago in Riviera Beach. The seller claimed that it had minor damage from a galley fire. In reality, the whole inside was stripped & charred. It had squatters living on it too. I couldn't get away from that boat fast enough.

Aug 22, 2017
As to the OP's original question, I found myself in a similar situation when I needed to get rid of a Chaparral with extensive core damage several years ago. After searching around for options, someone eventually tipped me off that the local transfer station would take it for a few hundred bucks as long as there were no hazardous materials involved. They charge by the pound.

Another interesting suggestion that I received was to scuttle it in about 70 feet of water with an anchor attached & mark down the lat & long. Apparently, artificial reefs that are not marked on the charts, are a sought after commodity in the fishing community around here.

Sep 30, 2013
Funny, I know someone who is looking for an Albin Vega.
They are getting very hard to find in good condition. I am subscribed for Craigslist alerts in every major coastal city in the United States, including the Great Lakes states. About fifty cities in all. Plus eBay of course.

I see a decent Vega pop up about once a year.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Uhm, I would skip that scuttle idea. If you were ever associated with that act I think you could face legal problems. Same for liability problems. Suppose a dragger loses his net on your unmarked "Reef." Or a diver drowns on it. It just seems like a bad idea to me.

Mar 23, 2018
Catalina 22 12491 Lake Charlevoix
I believe this organization would probably take it: http://www.marsrescue.org/info/contact I don't know anything about them, except I considered a boat they listed on craigslist that had been donated to them. He had at least 2 Catalina 22's for sale at that time. They are in Grapevine, I think.

Or
You if you did want to sink it, you could contact:
Athens Scuba Park in Athens, TX http://www.athensscubapark.com/ or Clear Springs Scuba Park in Terrell, TX http://clearspringsscubapark.com/ They MAY be interested in sinking it, but you would probably have to take it to them. It's worth a call. If they do want it, you could sell the parts first.

Aug 22, 2017
Uhm, I would skip that scuttle idea. If you were ever associated with that act I think you could face legal problems. Same for liability problems. Suppose a dragger loses his net on your unmarked "Reef." Or a diver drowns on it. It just seems like a bad idea to me.
Correct. I was not suggesting that as a good idea. That would be a pirate move. Perhaps I should have chosen my words more carefully.

Around here at least, you need to pull a permit to sink an artificial reef legally. Before receiving approval, you need to clean it of all fuel, oil, contaminants, etc.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Unless it’s in great shape most boat donation organizations will not take it. They have lots filled with crappy old boats.
Yep, this is the new state of old tired boats. Many of the owners of these boats aren't aware, that their giveaway boat, has become a liability.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
There is always playground equipment.

This is where an old Mariner 19 found its final resting place.

- Will (Dragonfly)