Catalina 22 Purchase - Interior Condition;Furler Question

Sep 27, 2013
Pearson 30 (sold in 2015) Upper Chesapeake
Hi all,
I'm looking at a C22. Posting some photos of interior and also of furler. Furler has no name on it, so wondering if anyone recognizes it....
I've seen other threads and reached out to Gene Neill, thanks Gene!, about this boat. Looks like the interior wood is shot, bulkheads, trim, etc. One window is crazed or something else happened.

Attachments

Sep 27, 2013
More photos. Window photo was too large....I'll have to figure out how to reduce it, then post it. Also the port bulkhead rear photo has same kind of rot at bottom and top, but photo again too large to post.

Thanks All!
Rob

Attachments

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
ugly yes, but some of that teak will be salvageable. Clearly she's been wet-- nothing I'm looking at in your photo's is unique, many of us inherited craft with similar misuse indicators. Unless you find something structurally unsound down below you look to be in decent enough shape. If you talked with @Gene Neill you likely already have his sage advice: your money pit isn't necessarily down below. Think Keel, standing / running rigging, spars, sails, soundness or lack thereof of the deck and hull.

Piece of cake :)

Sep 27, 2013
Same with Keel bolts....The other location I found looked to be in the same condition....photo too large to post!!!

Sep 27, 2013
@pclarksurf: Thanks. I had a Pearson 30, so I understand "moneypit"!!! But, most don't recommend doing surveys on these boats....I'll post some additional photos of mast and spars, keel, bottom for folks to comment on. Thanks, Rob

Attachments

Sep 27, 2013
Some more! Running rigging likely needs to go. Most can be worked with elbow grease.....

Thoughts on survey??

If anyone knows of a trailer, please let me know!

Thanks

Attachments

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
That seems like a fair bit of water intrusion at some time or another. If you haven't bought the boat yet, I'd check it out real carefully for water damage in the deck laminate under the mast, and also where the upper shroud chain plates come through the deck. I've had a few small areas of rot on mine. Seeing a boat with some rust on the headliner areas of the cabin, it might be the case the water came from above. If it came through the deck, it might have started rotting the plywood in the laminate. I might be completely wrong on this of course. It might just be from high humidity.

C22's are really great boats, pretty easy to fix, and really easy to get parts for through Catalina Direct, so they have all that going for them. Again, I might be completely wrong on any potential deck issues.

Sep 27, 2013
@Hardhead;. I agree, thanks, wish I was smart enough to know! I keep thinking a basic survey investment might be worth it for knowledge and peace of mind! I am certainly no expert...and I'm glad I posted the compression post for you all to see. The wood, not so worried.
FYI for All:. I spoke to Len at Catalina Yachts today (Parts). They can, still, and will, fabricate new bulkheads, and the cost seems reasonable, about $400 for the pair.
@w4swk;. Thanks! I have your thread saved from a good while back! I've already contacted a few of the new builders, but their prices always scare me!!!! Trailers cost way more than the boats (before we start pouring $$$$$ into them AFTER purchase).
But, these are such nice boats that live forever!!

Apr 11, 2017
I've had a ton of fun with mine over the past year since I bought it. If you can tap around on the top of the deck, with something like the end of a wood hammer handle, you should be able to hear a reasonance difference in the areas of the deck that might have rot. Good deck should have a fairly sharp clean ping sound, areas with rot below should sound like a muffled, more dull thud like sound. All that being said, I believe it can be hard to tell, because where the fiberglass has a corner, or contour, it can still sound pretty sharp and pingy, just because of the way it's laid up.

Please take all this with a grain of salt, because I am definitely no expert, at all, on these matters, but that's the way I try to judge it. If there is any water intrusion in the deck though, for a decent period of time, it's a fair chance there might be an issue in some stage of development. I had some rot under my starboard side stern deck cleat, and it sounded fine, and seemed completely sturdy and solid as far as the deck integrity. I actually think it was, and the fiberglass decking laminate seems pretty dang thick. The plywood laminate was actually only 1/4" and I get the slight impression it's biggest function was to help form the deck during layup. I'm not sure if all the decking, and side decking, is only 1/4" plywood though. C22's seem to be very solid boats, and I've been continually impressed with how solid they are when I'm taking something apart for some reason. I actually live in MD as well, and I got pretty lucky finding a decent one for sale the first day I looked. I drove to Ohio for it, but it was not a bad drive, and I'm definitely glad I bought it. People on this board are very helpful too-

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2013
Hardhead, I'm near Havre de Grace if your close by...

And yes, folks on this board are terrific..Pat yourselves on the back, you've earned it!

To your concerns earlier:
I heard back from Len at CYachts, with his personal, not corporate, thoughts.
He said the same as Hardhead, check for soft/intrusion, delamination "everywhere"!!!...
Also said that he sees alot of water damage....but, maybe as important, was also concerned with mold and mildew being very evident.."wood can be replaced, mold and mildew can get so infused, it's hard to defeat...
I will call a few local to the boat surveyors and inquire on prices since I've done the hammer/ratchet test on other boats in the past, but a trained eye and moisture meter can assess it way faster than me, and may be able to guage the extent of the problem where I really can't do that.
As Gene Neill knows, this has been a 2+ year quest for me. I can't seem to find a good boat that is a reasonable price....not a giveaway/fire sale, but many I've spoken to have that unrealistic dream that they are going to sell it for what they have invested in it ...yeah, good luck with that!
I too have looked all the way to Minnesota, Kansas and Texas, and east...so many nice boats without trailers. But then we get back to the ridiculous cost of a trailer and no used ones out there.......arrrrggghhh!!!
By the way, no leads yet on the furler. Len said he didn't recognize it.
Anyone?

Please Chime in on a Buy (after survey) or Pass based on what you see... I'd like to hear some yeas and nays..
Thanks

Apr 11, 2017
Rob - I just sent you a PM with a listing - probably more money though. I might keep looking, if there is any good indication of a lot of water having gotten through the deck anywhere. Just about anything can be fixed, but how much fixing is the issue..

Last edited:
May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Rob, without going into all the details, I see plenty of reasons to pass on this one, unless it's nearly free...Gene's advice is gospel so take that over mine for sure. Lots of other C22's out there, and you're in a great sailing area to find one, or a similar boat in MUCH better condition.

This one's been seriously neglected, and you'd have to deal with plenty of rot issues, let alone replacing all rigging +++ No trailer? Any motor?

However, if you are gifted such a craft, you've come to the right place. These folks here will talk you thru it from stem to stern....just allow a year or so, and lots of sweat equity and boat bucks!

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2013
I'm feeling the same way but will tell you that the price is close to free, likely under $1000, thus the reason for the interest in getting maybe a deal that, yes, will require pouring money into, but if the opportunity to get this type of boat with that up front understanding, is it now MAYBE...worth it....
maybe good bones, with plenty of work to do? The only way to really find out, is to get a survey, but even at, say $250, the question remains....is it worth it?

Sep 27, 2013
Gene couldn't open the photos I sent and I'm waiting on his input....he basically noted the soft spot stuff too without seeing photos....

Sep 27, 2013
Oh yeah, I do want to stay at 5k or less. That boat Hardhead sent us one pretty picture!

Sep 27, 2013
Anybody ever ship a boat across the country? What's the cost? Breaks the $5k rule, but alot of folks in CA have money problems (I used to live on San Diego) and sometimes newer good condition boats can be had for a good price there...without the humidity rot....

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Rob, once again, wait for Gene's input....but....you just got a free survey right here on the forum from your pics! Neglect is the cause of rot, humidity has nothing (or little) to do with it...

Boat, motor, trailer $2500-$4000 in "good" condition should be your benchmark IMO for a C22....keep looking!

Sep 27, 2013
That's the reason I look to all of you for help!! And I always find great folks who really help.
I'm in for your good condition prices, but man, as I spoke to earlier, not so much luck with price realism from owners...I've offered reasonable prices to a few owners who just won't come off their asking prices....
If you all see any at those prices, HOLLER!