270 icebox conversion

May 29, 2018
Catalina 270 Garden City, UT
This is my first post on this site (just joined) and I apologize for any redundancy. Please guide me to a thread that is probably already in place.

Is icebox to refrigerator in a 270 even feasible ? I have shore power and the boat will be in the slip almost every night so running on 12 volt will not be a consideration.

Thank ye kindly

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
@Sailfish03 ,

I cannot see why it would not work with a bit of effort. I converted the box on my First 260 (about the same size galley) with little effort. The Isotherm ICEC compressor and plate are very small, and very energy efficient. I run my boat of a single Group29 battery, and even if I forget to plug in shore power, the battery does not drop below 75% full charge even after 3 days in the sun on DC power. Best 900 bucks I've ever spent on the boat.

IMG_0163.JPG

Install details here:
https://rarerarebird.blogspot.com/2017/06/refrigeration.html

May 29, 2018
Thank you, Jack... I looked at the blog and it might work as you suggest ! $900 is reasonable considering the alternative .... bags and bags of ice

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I would also consider an Engel or Domestic portable fridge in a semi-permanent installation. You could be looking at about $500 for that approach.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
I installed an Isotherm ice box conversion kit in my H27. The compressor unit is very small and is supplied with several feet of copper tubing to reach the ice box. A fairly easy diy install, but you will need to find a cool, dry, and ventilated spot for the compressor. The unit is supported on rubber mounts and makes very little noise.

Nov 8, 2010
I would also consider an Engel or Domestic portable fridge in a semi-permanent installation. You could be looking at about $500 for that approach.
Yea, but if you have a built in insulated icebox, adding a separate external unit vs adding a plate to the box makes little sense.

May 29, 2018
Truly Grateful for the input ... i'm hoping there's a catalina 270 out there that has already done it as well

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
Before I sold my 270, I had seriously considered converting the icebox to a fridge. I think I had priced out an Alden Barber unit from Defender. The compressor was going to fit in the port cockpit lazarette next to the water heater. Pretty much a painless installation. It was to be a 12 volt unit switched by the empty macerator switch at the electric panel. The charger would keep the batts up while on shore power, and the unit was switched off under sail.
But I got an Engel fridge ( the smallest one) for Christmas. Worked ok for a beer fridge and noisy.
The girls called it the "rumble seat", but thats another story.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Yea, but if you have a built in insulated icebox, adding a separate external unit vs adding a plate to the box makes little sense.
Factory insulated ice boxes, even fridges, are typically under insulated. The Engels are usually much better. Also, the built in units are along the hull and get more heat from the sun on the outside of the hull. It is becoming increasingly more common amongst cruisers that when the compressor goes, the ice box converted fridge or fridge becomes dry storage and an Engel is added.

Nov 8, 2010
Factory insulated ice boxes, even fridges, are typically under insulated. The Engels are usually much better. Also, the built in units are along the hull and get more heat from the sun on the outside of the hull. It is becoming increasingly more common amongst cruisers that when the compressor goes, the ice box converted fridge or fridge becomes dry storage and an Engel is added.
That could be I suppose. But wow, the icebox would have to be terribly designed and insulated for me to forgo that perfect place to put a plate and hide the compressor, as opposed to filling up my galley with box that sits there giving off noise and heat.

May 29, 2018
rumble seat ... funny and i want to avoid that kind of install. I'll check the equipment from Defender and thank you

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
If I remember right...an “L” shaped plate would fit the box.
Side note: Our 385 has a regular fridge plus an ice box. As a dealer incentive the box has a conversion installed. Knock on wood, it has been nothing but great. Setting on “2” (out of 10) for ice cold beer . And so quiet I still don’t know where the compressor is.

But if you decide to go rumble....it fit between the companionway stairs and the galley. I hard wired it to DC.

May 29, 2018
No Rumble Seat Doug ... don't like to cobb things if possible. I thought if I could find a good product to upgrade existing, we would just stay with the ice. I think the drain pump works

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Hello All. I would like to revive this thread. I found this thread by searching on "isotherm" which seems to be the unit of choice for conversion. This week I decided an electric icebox conversion for my Catalina 270 is now on the list and budgeted for next (maybe this) month. It is worth spending money to negate the ceremony of having to drag cold drinks to the boat, buy and lug ice, then remove said cold drinks and whatever ice I can from icebox and drain and dry the ice box at the conclusion of the trip. The price of the conversion begins to look reasonable after all that. You can stock your icebox at your leisure, have cold drinks available immediately and not have to do anything upon your return except remember to plug your boat in.
I read Jackdaw's post about installing it and I am encouraged. I am particularly encouraged by the efficiency of the device and the fact that the compressor can operate at spec in ambient temps up to 115 degrees F. I think that is the unit I am going to buy.
I have to figure out the best place for the compressor. I have a general idea but it is not written in stone. I am curious to know.
All wisdom is greatly appreciated.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Best 900 bucks I've ever spent on the boat.
Just want to make sure you are still happy with your purchase. Also how hard does your Isotherm work to get your icebox to 42 degrees? Could you make it colder if you turned up the setting? I looked at the defender catalog and there is a model without the intelligent power management for less money but I am sold on the smarter model. All experience and wisdom greatly appreciated.