Hunter 26 mast raising pole (gin pole)

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
@Kermit
Naw
I just had to replace the foot
I guess I thought the bent pole in the first picture was the mast. I was gonna come give you a nuggie like you’ve never had if it had been the mast and you weren’t gonna replace it.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Yeah but putting up with the two of you replacing centerboard lines was a whoot being with two wiley rabbits but fun

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
A bad day messing around on a boat beats a good day at work.... and that wern’t a bad day

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
A bad day messing around on a boat beats a good day at work.... and that wern’t a bad day
One of the highlights was finding out that Mr. Granger misprounces his own name! ;-) I wish I could have seen my expression. It must have been priceless.

Ian M

Sep 22, 2016
Hunter 260 Central Coast, CA
James,

If you want to stiffen up the pole, something I did on another project that worked really well was to get some wooden dowel rods that barely fit inside the metal gin pole, cover them in gorilla glue, then shove the dowel rods inside the metal gin pole. As the gorilla glue cures, its epands, locking the wooden dowel rods inside the metal tube. Based off my unoffical "bend the rod with my hand" test, I say it makes the gin pole at least 3 times more stiff. Another advatage to doing the wood dowel rods, is now your gin pole should float.

Hope that helps.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
James,

If you want to stiffen up the pole, something I did on another project that worked really well was to get some wooden dowel rods that barely fit inside the metal gin pole, cover them in gorilla glue, then shove the dowel rods inside the metal gin pole. As the gorilla glue cures, its epands, locking the wooden dowel rods inside the metal tube. Based off my unoffical "bend the rod with my hand" test, I say it makes the gin pole at least 3 times more stiff. Another advatage to doing the wood dowel rods, is now your gin pole should float.

Hope that helps.
I like it.... makes sense. Gorilla glue is a holy mess so if I try this, I'll wear rubber gloves for sure. I have not had trouble with my pole bending (that's what she said) but it sure can't hurt to over engineer something so critical.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
I like it.... makes sense. Gorilla glue is a holy mess so if I try this, I'll wear rubber gloves for sure. I have not had trouble with my pole bending (that's what she said) but it sure can't hurt to over engineer something so critical.
You know what you got the Like for.

Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
I found the pole a little to springy for my taste . A slight bend that all probably have and you watch it flex .
1/2 inch conduit and a few wraps of masking tape near the ends and middle inserted in the pole and you have a much stiffer pole.
Just be careful that you don't break something else raising the mast.
I feel safer though with a stronger gin pole.