Garage Sailer

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
A standard garage in the US is about 20 feet (6.1 meters).

What are some sailboats boats that you have that fit in the garage?

I've got a hunter170 that fits diagonally in a 2 car garage. For hurricanes i can rest the mast on the top of the bugout car so both fit in.

I'm thinking of adding a hitch pivot, putting the boat straight in, then suspending mast from ceiling.

Of course, my 28" RC sailboat fits between the tool shelves on the floor in its cradle, so we have an upper and lower limit.

Id love to get some feedback from innovators with either great storage ideas or better boat choices.

Apr 16, 2017
Take mast off and storeseperately
Indeed, but where to place it safely. It should still be in garage. I dont want "scappers" eyeballing 22 feet of extruded aluminium and it cant be visible from street.

Resting on floor as a hypotenuse takes second place to hanging from ceiling. If hung from ceiling the shrouds could still be connected to chainplates.

What about cutting mast at strategic location and storing in pieces. Then reassemble quickly on site.

Would need to innovate where to cut, how to strengthen for sailing.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The mast does not weigh much. First there is no shrinking ray gun. Just being funnny. Can you locate the garage ceiling beams placing two hooks with pulleys to lift mast up out of the way. Many do that

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
You don't need to lift the whole mast. Diagonal works in 3 dimensions. To fit a 25 foot mast on 20 feet of floor space, a minimum rise 15 feet would do the job. 3-4-5 right triangle. 15 feet is a lot of ceiling height, but up into a dormer end? Rafters would be an issue.
I could get my Mariner 19 with 24 foot mast into such a garage. I would have to detach the stays, unless I twisted or rotated on the ceiling.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I used to store my Lido 14 in a 1 car garage with tilt up door by making a small door in the door for the mast to stick out.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Id love to get some feedback from innovators with either great storage ideas or better boat choices.
Here's one of each! I don't know about hurricane resistance, but I also have an aluminum mast to stow at home. Dig a hole a couple to a few feet deep close to the garage, line it w/cement and an aluminum sleeve, drop the mast in that hole, stowing it vertically. (Although your "scrappers" might still see it.)

Also, a better garage sailor you might consider is a Doughdish--saves you > a foot LOA; although, you might give it back on the trailer. Gaff-headed mainsail, so mast is relatively short, etc.

http://www.doughdishllc.com/
http://www.doughdishllc.com/dd_overview.pdf

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The other possibility is to stow the mast on a rack at a secure boat storage location or a yard.

Apr 16, 2017
I used to store my Lido 14 in a 1 car garage with tilt up door by making a small door in the door for the mast to stick out.
"The Lido 14 is a family oriented day-sailer that seats as many as 6 yet remains sporty enough to be interesting to race."

Mast is like 19 feet. Now your talking.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Will
Only if you had seen what I saw over the years with folks running into things but out of the way and if too long to the furherest corners of course dealing with daysailor masts only

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Indeed, but where to place it safely. It should still be in garage. I dont want "scappers" eyeballing 22 feet of extruded aluminium and it cant be visible from street..
I would hang from the soffit under the eave of the house in the back yard away from prying scrapper eyes. Like where this guy is adding his vent.
Soffit vent.jpg

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Hobie TI plus mast on a trailer fits diagonal in a standard (less depth) two car garage, easily fits straight in for a "boat depth" garage. Plastic boat is also way more susceptible to UV damage than a fiberglass boat so also pretty much has to be garaged.

I also worry about the value of the AL mast as scrap for the sailboat parked in the side yard so have several visible camera's pointed at the boat.

Apr 16, 2017
Hobie TI
Tandem Island?

In sarasota area there are almost unlimited kayaking oppotunities. Ive often thought about mixing my sailing thirst with kayaking hunger.

How does that sail and is the kayak usable without outriggers.